A few days ago, I created a checklist that I wanted to use for when I walk dogs at the animal shelter. I made it up, the final version, the night before. The next morning when I went into use it, it was gone. I’ve done several searches, but it’s not there. Does anyone know if this is a common thing and if it is related to checklists or to any kind of note at all. This really undermines my confidence in Evernote.

Edited by salgud
  • Level 5*

Were you online? 
The note would have been uploaded to the servers, and can be searched using the web platform.

You can review the activity log to see activity with the note.

I've got over 13k notes, and not noticed a problem with notes disappearing. 
Accidental deletion is possible, but the note is moved to the Trash and can easily be recovered 

I have confidence in Evernote, but I maintain data  backups; I have a  recovery option if necessary

>>if it is related to checklists

Checkbox is  simply one element in a note; I doubt it has any significance.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, salgud said:

Does anyone know if this is a common thing and if it is related to checklists or to any kind of note at all.

Hi.  I don't believe I've lost any data in Evernote in the past few years,  checkboxes or no.  Despite the general hype,  mobile devices aren't exactly a second brain that can be totally relied upon to support you in every way - IME they'll normally lock up / lose signal / reboot or otherwise leave you hanging out to dry at the worst possible time. Luckily (I infer) you lost a checklist that wasn't life or career-threatening,  and you will be able to replace it. 

Maybe if you're preparing for something the next day it would be an idea to 'print' your list to PDF,  or get a screenshot of the important details - something you can pin to your home screen to ensure that it's available when you need it.

As I said I have no bad experiences in this regard with Evernote,  but that's what I do with anything from a shopping list to a script in that and any other apps - I know my tech is always out to get me!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Despite the general hype,  mobile devices aren't exactly a second brain that can be totally relied upon to support you in every way - IME they'll normally lock up / lose signal / reboot or otherwise leave you hanging out to dry at the worst possible time.

Maybe some definition on "mobile device"

I know any of my devices will fail at some point in time    
I keep an eye on the note sync indicator to confirm upload to the cloud.  
Once on the server, I'm confident the notes are preserved and can be accessed by alternative devices

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Maybe some definition on "mobile device"

Hmmn.  I'd actually expand that to 'electronic devices' - even my TV seems to have a mind of its own sometimes...

28 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Once on the server, I'm confident the notes are preserved

Absolutely,  and so am I.  I also keep a separate local backup of all my notes.  Just in case...   🙂

On 10/19/2019 at 10:37 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I'd actually expand that to 'electronic devices' - even my TV seems to have a mind of its own sometimes...

Absolutely,  and so am I.  I also keep a separate local backup of all my notes.  Just in case...   🙂

thanks for all the replies.

How do you back them up?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, salgud said:

thanks for all the replies.

How do you back them up?

Most folks will make ENEX or HTML backups by notebook using the export function within EN.  I happen to use Backupery for this, it automates backing up all my notebooks in the wee hours of the night.  @gazumped uses the same tool.  But you can do it yourself,.

• Like 1

I downloaded that notebook, but it didn’t tell me where it put it or what it named the file, so it’s somewhere hidden deep in the bowels of my iPad. Not very useful. Does anyone know how to track it down?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, salgud said:

I downloaded that notebook, but it didn’t tell me where it put it or what it named the file, so it’s somewhere hidden deep in the bowels of my iPad. Not very useful. Does anyone know how to track it down?

I don't think "downloaded that notebook" is an option for an iPad correction, offline notebooks
Can you provide details on the process you followed

As to backup and export, these are Windows/Mac functions    
IOS only allows export of a single note, shared to an email message

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I don't think "downloaded that notebook" is an option for an iPad    
Can you provide details on the process you followed

As to backup and export, these are Windows/Mac functions    
IOS only allows export of a single note, shared to an email message

If you swipe left on a notebook, you’ll see the option to download. When you do, it tells you it is downloading. Does anyone know where it downloads to?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, salgud said:

If you swipe left on a notebook, you’ll see the option to download. When you do, it tells you it is downloading. Does anyone know where it downloads to?

Correct; swiping left reveals a menu list of notebook options

The "download" option sets the notebook as an offline notebook     
A copy of the note data is stored on the iPad and is available when not connected to the internet

We do not have access to the raw Evernote data on an iPad.  The only access is via the app

21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Correct; swiping left reveals a menu list of notebook options

The "download" option sets the notebook as an offline notebook     
A copy of the note data is stored on the iPad and is available when not connected to the internet

We do not have access to the raw Evernote data on an iPad.  The only access is via the app

Sorry, this is still a mystery to me. I still don’t see any way to view these notebooks, only ways to create them. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, salgud said:

Sorry, this is still a mystery to me. I still don’t see any way to view these notebooks, only ways to create them. 

When you create an 'offline notebook' you're getting the content of those notes stored on your local device.  You still get to this through Evernote - when you look at "shopping list" it just isn't downloaded from the server first,  it's already there on your device.  Not sure how that works as a 'backup' - there's no way to transfer the note data to another account from your iPad,  or to send it back to the server if the online data becomes corrupt.  You're best off getting access to the account on a desktop of some kind and physically exporting the content to HTML or ENEX,  where it can be loaded back into your account,  or onto a new PC if you have any issues.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, salgud said:

The download option on IOS causes the contents as well as the titles for all notes in the notebook to be synced to the IOS device.  Then when you do not have access to the internet you can still access your note content, actually quite useful.  It is just there when you select the notebook.

You cannot use this as a personal backup.  Personal backups can only be created on the desktop.

Thanks again to each of you for your help. What I’m hearing is my file is gone. Seems to be that Evernote should have some sort of back up, preferably an automatic back up, but then what do I know?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, salgud said:

Seems to be that Evernote should have some sort of back up, preferably an automatic back up, but then what do I know?

Evernote uploads our data to the servers where there are backups in place

on Mac/Windows clients, Evernote provides the option to backup our data using the export feature.  We also have a full copy of our data and can backup the raw database files

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, salgud said:

Thanks again to each of you for your help. What I’m hearing is my file is gone. Seems to be that Evernote should have some sort of back up, preferably an automatic back up, but then what do I know?

Evernote only backups up active notes.  Once you delete a note and empty the trash it is gone (did you check the trash by the way?).