Note 'Print to PDF' | Classic/In-App Note-Links don't Work?

I use EN-for-Windows (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750).

Just discovered the 'Print to PDF' feature, which I'm thinking of including, for select notes, as part of my back-up process.

I noticed that in the resulting PDF doc(s), that the hyperlinks to external web pages continue to work fine, as was the case in the source EN-note, yet the Classic/In-App links do nothing, don't go anywhere when clicked! 

Is there a way, or some config setting, to get the Classic/In-App Note-Links, that were contained in the original EN-note, to continue to function once that note has been exported to PDF, has been 'Printed to PDF'??? cheers

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't think so.  The in-app links are to UIDs that refer specifically to a location in the Evernote application.  I assume that the PDF editor simply doesn't know how to interpret them.  Even if restored to an Evernote database that PDF file will not link to another note/ PDF.  The PDF editor will know how to process vanilla http:// links - AFAIK you'd have to open a link in Evernote,  copy the address of a note,  then paste that into the PDF to allow it to link like a standard web page.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Just discovered the 'Print to PDF' feature, which I'm thinking of including, for select notes, as part of my back-up process.

Just wondering how usefult this format is for "back-up process".    
What scenarios are you preparing for, and what is the recovery process?

For example, my scenarios are:
Minor - lost some note content and need to recover
Worst-case - Evernote's gone dark and I need access to my notes

My backup process uses the export feature in html format
I have daily incremental and weekly full backups

btw  My in-app links are still functional
         Of course they point back to Evernote; which will be useless if Evernote is not functional

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering how usefult this format is for "back-up process".

Hey @DTLow Thanks very much for your comments/questions, which motivated me to get straight on the subject of EN backup-restore.  After reviewing all your comments here, and in another thread  I had clipped Automating EN backups?, I agree the 'Print to PDF' format will not be as useful.

What scenarios are you preparing for, and what is the recovery process?

I confess, I hadn't really applied any logical thought process to this.  But believed I should do something, rather than trust/rely exclusively on EN.  This is distinct from my PC backup, where I Do trust/rely on Microsoft via MS Onedrive to take care of things (which also includes the EN Db folder/files I occasionally copy to Onedrive synced folder). 

my scenarios are:
Minor - lost some note content and need to recover
Worst-case - Evernote's gone dark and I need access to my notes

Your scenarios work for me also.  The couple of minor-scenarios that have come up, resulted in me just using the notes-history to recover.

But it's the 'Worst-Case' scenario, I want to make sure I have reliable, or functional backups for, that could work on their own, inside just a browser, should EN go dark as you say.  I found the HTML 'export-as-multiple-pages' feature works great for that, and all the links, including the in-app links continue to work fine.  So if EN never, never, never came back, I could rebuild into another app from there...so the Armageddon solution.

I'm looking into getting Backupery as @gazumped recommended (in thread linked to above) as it looks like it can make the whole process simple and give me the peace of mind I'm looking for. Cheers agin

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Backupery is still working well for me - the important tweaks (in case they aren't mentioned elsewhere) is to set the options to

1)  full backups,  rather than incremental - purely because if you backup incrementally,  you (currently) have to restore that way too...

2)  keep a maximum of 10 or less backup sets - my full backups run to 25GB a time,  so I chose 6!

3) daily backups at a specific time - preferably when you're not using the system.  Again depending on your system and the size of the database, things can slow down while it's happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

purely because if you backup incrementally,  you (currently) have to restore that way too...

I'm an incremental backup fan - separate files for each note. There's Note History backup, and I have daily incremental backups.

My use case is to restore content for an individual note; for example I notice a note is missing something important.  To restore the content, I access the backup for the note/date and copy-paste the lost content

Retention: Never deleted

>>keep a maximum of 10 or less backup sets - my full backups run to 25GB a time,  so I chose 6!

I also use Time Machine backups; incremental backups for the raw database files.  This is a Mac product - I don't know a Windows equivalent
It handles the incremental restore process automatically
Backup sets and retention are: automatically makes hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for all previous months. The oldest backups are deleted when your backup disk is full.

• Level 5*
On 10/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, gazumped said:

Backupery is still working well for me - the important tweaks (in case they aren't mentioned elsewhere) is to set the options to

1)  full backups,  rather than incremental - purely because if you backup incrementally,  you (currently) have to restore that way too...

2)  keep a maximum of 10 or less backup sets - my full backups run to 25GB a time,  so I chose 6!

3) daily backups at a specific time - preferably when you're not using the system.  Again depending on your system and the size of the database, things can slow down while it's happening.

Ditto, though I keep 7 backups in the 25GB range.  Backupery runs at 1 am. 

One additional thing, I 7-zip encrypt my local notebooks to OneDrive about once a week.  I figure should a local disaster occur a reload from EN servers is a reasonably safe assumption and then I'll have some currency in a web backup should the external SSD be hosed at the same time.  Not perfect, but I'm okay with the risk/reward equation.  FWIW.

• Like 1