Sync error - "Failed to copy source URI to temporary file"

• Level 5

Hi @tomminhdo, and welcome to the forums! Is this happening just with regard to editing one particular note, or with all notes? I ask because that's an unusual error message, and I wonder if it relates just to one specific note. I also wonder whether you are either short of internal storage space on the device, or trying to store the Evernote database in external storage (the SD card), which Evernote doesn't want to do (see this Help article).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Coinciding with Evernote's update on 10/10, yet again I'm experiencing this sync error - "Failed to copy source URI to temporary file"

Previously, emptying the trash resolved the issue, but not this time - I have 106 notes waiting to sync 🙁

Can anyone help? 

Thanks

Karen

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ffizzz said:

Coinciding with Evernote's update on 10/10, yet again I'm experiencing this sync error - "Failed to copy source URI to temporary file"

Previously, emptying the trash resolved the issue, but not this time - I have 106 notes waiting to sync 🙁

Can anyone help? 

Thanks

Karen

Hi.  I merged your post with a previous query since @Dave-in-Decatur's query above is still relevant:  does editing one note prompt this error,  or just a standard sync.  What's the situation with storage space on the device,  and  is anything to do with Evernote stored on the SD card?

Thanks for that - I wasn't sure whether I should update the existing, older post or not

In answer to your questions:

The error occurs on syncing, not editing. New notes, clipped notes & existing edited notes are all effected. That said, of the last 111 notes, 6 appear to have synced OK - they are all existing notes which were edited since 10/10

Device storage = 59gb/128g available

Evernote not stored on SD card

• Level 5*

Hmmn. Weird that some notes sync and others don't.  We can't do a reinstall otherwise you'll lose the unsynced notes.  Android doesn't (AFAIK) have any little tricks that might tell you where the problem lies,  and there's no way to export the notes to another format apart from the 'share' dialogue which may or may not work with unsynced notes anyway...

At this stage I think a support ticket is definitely called for - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

While you're waiting for a response you could maybe check whether sync is working both ways by creating a new note on a desktop to see if it gets to the mobile,  and while you're there,  compare what versions you have of the 'unsyncable' notes to see whether there are significant differences...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Hi, @Tangentrider, and welcome to the forums. Previous discussion here hasn't really led to any known resolutions. One user found that emptying the trash worked--one time, but later on the error reoccurred. Since you're a Premium subscriber, this definitely looks like an issue to raise with tech support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new. If you do so, please let folks know here what their response is. It looks like this could be an ongoing issue for a number of people.

I had the same problem and was trying to copy and repasting all the notes that has not synced. I just went into my setting (in evernote) seach and storage and then cleared the cache. 

That fixed the problem for me. 

Hope it does for you as well. 

I got really excited for a minute there, but I don't use the memory card for Evernote & there was no change 😕

I've very recently noticed that trying to Share unsynced notes results in them disappearing "without a trace" 😳

I need to sit down & follow the advice of Gazumped, & report it

Glad you sorted yours out though

Thanks

Edited by ffizzz
Typo
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, kimhamlin said:

This is happening to me too, same error msg, clearing cache changed nothing. Does anyone have a solution yet? 

No solution that's been indicated here. I've never seen this "Failed to copy source URI" error, so I don't have much to offer, other than that, as a Premium subscriber, one of the things you're paying for is the ability to contact tech support. Hopefully if they hear of this from several people, the details may help them pin down a solution. https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am having a similar issue: attempting to sync on my Android phone(galaxy note 9 Model# SM-N960UZPAATT) produces a "failed to copy source uri to temporary file" error. New notes from phone remain on phone. Notes Notes updated on laptop sync to phone. Some notes updated on phone (with word "test") do sync back to cloud, but notes where i have added photos, for example, do not sync back. have 89 GB available on phone storage.

The following did not help:

* Emptied trash
* went into Evernote Settings | seach and storage, and then cleared the cache.
* Restarted android phone (galaxy note 9 Model# SM-N960UZPAATT)

I've opened Ticket# 3034109 ; I'll update when resolved.

In disappointing news, i was advised to delete and reinstall the client.  There are no good ways to find all unsynced notes nor extract those notes. Fortunately i think there were only a few unsynced notes. I know i lost one.

So, there's that.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, judielaine said:

There are no good ways to find all unsynced notes nor extract those notes.

AFAIK uninstalling / restarting the device / reinstalling is the only available way to try to resolve mobile-based tech issues.

Just for info - a visual search should show unsynced notes flagged with a green icon,  or if you know when sync stopped,  a created date search can provide a list;  and subscribers have the option of forwarding notes to the server account by email - which is possible from a mobile device. 

I did the visual scan but could not find one of the notes i knew was having trouble. Created date was challenging due to all the other notes created elsewhere.

Email forwarding failed to include the attachments.

I'll try and have more sympathy for mobile developers though!

• Like 1

Having the same problem, I have tried all their suggestions (empty trash folder, deleting unsychronised notes, clearing cache, and so one...). None effect ! So I reported the bug to support team, very reactive.

It seems they have not really working solutions, except uninstall /reinstall application, what i have done and it works. 

But, this is not satisfying, because you may lost many notes/changes and need to review the parameters. 

I have asked them to solve the bug as soon as possible, because it's a problem on Evernote reliability. 

Let's see the results... 

• 4 months later...

This started happening to me recently.

I am pretty sure it was caused by pasting content directly from a webpage into a new note. I think an image had been copied from the page to the note, but the image's URI was not reachable from within evernote, so the note was bugged!

The bugged note then failed to sync, and also prevented all subsequent changes to any note being synced!

I fixed it by copying all text from the bugged note, and pasting it into an email application that removed the formatting and the image element. You could also use notepad or any basic text editor for this.  I then deleted the bugged note, and also removed it from the evernote trash.  Finally, I created a new version of the bugged note by copying from the notepad window and pasting back into evernote from there.

Note that I had to delete the note and then remove it from the evernote trash as well!

As soon as I had done this, all the notes magically started syncing again.

In summary, when I had this problem it was caused by just one bugged note. It might be the same for you. My advice would be:

1. Sort all notes by date modified or date created
  2. Find the least recent note that failed to sync. This is likely to be the bugged note.
  3. Clean this note up as described above.
  4. Try syncing again.  
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, David-Gisela said:

This started happening to me recently.

I am pretty sure it was caused by pasting content directly from a webpage into a new note. I think an image had been copied from the page to the note, but the image's URI was not reachable from within evernote, so the note was bugged!

The bugged note then failed to sync, and also prevented all subsequent changes to any note being synced!

I fixed it by copying all text from the bugged note, and pasting it into an email application that removed the formatting and the image element. You could also use notepad or any basic text editor for this.  I then deleted the bugged note, and also removed it from the evernote trash.  Finally, I created a new version of the bugged note by copying from the notepad window and pasting back into evernote from there.

Note that I had to delete the note and then remove it from the evernote trash as well!

As soon as I had done this, all the notes magically started syncing again.

In summary, when I had this problem it was caused by just one bugged note. It might be the same for you. My advice would be:

1. Sort all notes by date modified or date created
  2. Find the least recent note that failed to sync. This is likely to be the bugged note.
  3. Clean this note up as described above.
  4. Try syncing again.  

Many thanks for your explanations, I think you have found the bug ! I hope that will never happen again to me, but in case I will apply your solution 🙂

• 1 month later...

我的做法是:

1.找到最開始第一篇上傳有問題/無法上傳成功的那篇筆記

2.刪除它

3.再清空垃圾桶

4.啟動同步。     就解決了手機與電腦evernote同步的問題。希望大家都跟我一樣幸運,並拜託evernote健康平安。

我的做法是:

1.找到最開始第一篇上傳有問題/無法上傳成功的那篇筆記

2.刪除它

3.再清空垃圾桶

4.啟動同步。     就解決了手機與電腦evernote同步的問題。希望大家都跟我一樣幸運,並拜託evernote健康平安。

My approach is:

1. Find the first note that has a problem with uploading / failed to upload successfully

2. Delete it

3. Empty the trash can again

4. Start synchronization. The problem of evernote synchronization between mobile phones and computers is solved. I hope everyone is as lucky as me, and please evernote to be healthy and safe.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having this problem now.

Tried emptying thrash, clearing cache and checking if the oldest unsynced note had a URL link.

None of the options worked.

I have now some 15 unsynced notes. Apparently in the PC Evernote is working fine, but not from the cell.

It's a good thing that I did notice it without losing any critical data. I'll have to save manually everything before reinstalling the app I guess.

• Level 5

It's possible (as I learned in connection with a different sync issue) to copy the contents of an unsynced note and paste them into a new note, then delete the unsynced note and remove it from trash. You could try this with one note to see if the new note syncs. If not, then yes, some kind of manual saving (or possibly copying the content of a note and emailing it into your account, as @gazumped suggests) may be the only way.