Backup: Difference between export and copying database folder?

Just wondering what the difference is between exporting all notes and making a copy of the database folder? Which is the best strategy for backups? I use Time Machine but would like to also keep a separate off-line backup.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DavidD said:

Just wondering what the difference is between exporting all notes and making a copy of the database folder? Which is the best strategy for backups? I use Time Machine but would like to also keep a separate off-line backup.

I use both backup methods (export, TM), and also rely on Evernote backup to the server with Note History.
 Using the export feature, I have daily incremental and weekly full backups

Restoring a full database gives an exact copy of your data (but the master stored on the Evernote server is not affected)
This may get overwritten when the sync process is run

The export feature stores all note data except for notebook and note-id
Using export/import to restore data results in the creation of new notes, instead of restoring actual notes
This will show up with a default notebook and failed note links

For backup using export, I prefer html format.  The backup data is readable by any browser app

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On the Mac, I run TM to a NAS, and copy that on to USB disk as a second backup. Actually there is no need for the EN data to do this, because there is already a backup right on the EN server. But because it is inside of the TM files, it comes along anyhow.

On my Win10-PC I run Acronis True Image to Backup the whole disk. And I run a special backup job that just makes a BU of the EN data folder every day independently from the full disk job. Again, then copied on to a USB disk for secondary Backup.

The main reason for the secondary backups is the risk of a ransomware attack. I do not expect to need it, it is „just in case“, and stored in a safe place elsewhere.

• Level 5

I do not export as ENEX, because my backups are just that, not a copy to work on. If I would need to go back to a backup, I would use the BU tools capacity to restore it to a disk as it was. So I see no need for an ENEX for this.

However, the ENEX option is useful if and when someone wants to take his EN data and move to another tool.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

If I would need to go back to a backup, I would use the BU tools capacity to restore it to a disk as it was. So I see no need for an ENEX for this.

Actually, there is a great need for ENEX if you want to restore selected Notes or Notebooks.  As @DTLow stated above:

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Restoring a full database gives an exact copy of your data (but the master stored on the Evernote server is not affected)
This may get overwritten when the sync process is run

So after you have restored Evernote data from TM, it will be overwritten when you next sync with the Evernote Cloud.

To restore selected Notes, you have to:

1. Disconnect your Mac from the Internet
  2. Restore the Evernote data from TM (or other backup)
  3. Export to ENEX the Notes you want to restore
  4. Restore the Evernote data back to original (prior to Step 2)
  5. Connect to the Internet
  6. Sync, just to make sure
  7. Import the Notes exported in Step #3 to New Notes
  8. Replace the original Notes with these, if you wish.

• Level 5

Yes, if I want to do a selective restore at home, sort of DIY, the ENEX can come in as useful.

But as a Premium User, I go to the server instead, choose the timeline („note history“), go back to where I want to, and restore to that version.

I do not feel the need to replicate every action with my own toolbox, just in case. I have not used the note history more than 5 times in all my EN life, so I do not feel I have to create a fall back on this for whatever reason.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

But as a Premium User, I go to the server instead, choose the timeline („note history“), go back to where I want to, and restore to that version

Have you tried this with older Notes?  I just checked several notes and there was NO backup at all in the Note History.

Evernote does NOT store every version of the Note.  You may not be able to find the version you need.

You said you were already a TM backup.  No need to create ENEX files until you need them.  I was just making the point of how to restore a Note from TM.

• Level 5

No, I have not tried on older notes. Good to know ... but the cases when I had the need to go to note history were more of the blunder that happens when you ramp up your computer in the morning instead of fixing yourself a coffee first. So more short-term-recovery, mostly so short that even my normal backup routines would probably not have been through before „it“ happened.

About a selective restore from TM, I am not sure. Because the data structure on the Mac is different from the Win-Client, maybe it would even be possible to restore just a single note from a TM backup, because it is a single file on the Mac as well.

For me, the Backups are more for the case when you hear metalcrunching noises first, and after that nothing from your HDD-drive, or smell something acrid-burning from your SSD. Nothing sounds and smells like some TB of data just disintegrating. So a Backup is all the data you do not want to loose in another place, plus a tool to restore them all.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I just checked several notes and there was NO backup at all in the Note History.

Evernote does NOT store every version of the Note.  You may not be able to find the version you need.

I have not encountered missing Note History data, but that's a problem
Another problem is the Note History can only be accessed via the note.  If you've lost the note, you can't restore from Note History

As an alternative, I maintain my own version history with daily incremental backups

• Level 5

Yes, but how do you loose a note ? The only way I know is to delete it, and empty the bin afterwards.

Even when maybe you do it because you have made the experience back then that you have needed / used it, I still think it is a lot of effort for a very remote chance of needing it.

I just hope I do not have to come back to this one day because I have just lost „the note of my lifetime“.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, but how do you loose a note ? The only way I know is to delete it, and empty the bin afterwards.

But that is very easy to do.  All you have to do is press CMD-Delete with the wrong note selected, or maybe accidentally selected with a bunch of other notes.  And then, much later, after you have lots of Notes in your EN Trash Bin, you just empty the Trash because you don't have time to go through each note in the trash.

Now, months, or maybe years, later you try find a Note you know you have -- but it's not there -- it's long gone.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Even when maybe you do it because you have made the experience back then that you have needed / used it, I still think it is a lot of effort for a very remote chance of needing it.

Backups are like insurance -- you hope you never need it, but you're in a world of hurt if you need it and don't have it.

The only effort with a good backup system is the initial setup.  After that, very little effort is needed to maintain it.

So I really don't know what you are complaining about.  You're already doing TM backups, which are effortless.  You don't need to do anything else until you need to restore one or more notes.

• Level 5

Sometimes I wonder how Homo sapiens made it here, through eons and eons without all the gadgets that keep us happy and busy all day long 😉

I think we all have our strategies to cope with what life may throw on us, and that is it.

Some month ago I held a little presentation on how to safeguard your virtual existence against threats and disaster, part 1 „At home“ to my friends at my Rotary club. Did you know for example, that you should not only use WPA2 to secure your WiFi, but a key with close to 64byte length as well ? Who the F.... wants to share a 64Byte Key to relatives and friends that come for a visit, and want to use your WiFi ! But if it is much shorter, it can be cracked inside of a few days with equipment costing less than 100$. And you can create a QR-code of the key and hang it to your router, for easy copying with a smart phone.

They took the presentation as a man, but decided to live their lifes happy everafter. 

We agreed to postpone Part 2 „On the trip“ until further notice ...