Save single email to Evernote from Apple Mail

I was wondering if there's a way to save single email message as a new note in Evernote?

I encountered some posts about Apple script from @DTLow but I have zero knowledge how it works. My wish is to have a friendly way to save some of my email into Evernote similar to the share sheet in iOS

• Level 5*

I posted notes on using Applescript at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112316-scripting-on-a-mac-applescript/1390648633_ScreenShot2019-10-12at19_02_42.png.359255ec1aaf361812badeb64c05b897.png

You need to decide the design for your note in Evernotespacer.png
The screenshot shows the format I'm using

I've attached a barebones script file
MailToEvernote.scpt

It uses these code elements

tell application "Mail"                         Interface with the Mail application
     set theMessages to selection                       Retrieve selected email messages
     repeat with theMessage in theMessages   Pass through each email message

set theMessageDate to the date received of theMessage

set theMessageSubject to the subject of the theMessage

set theMessageContent to the content of theMessage
        <insert code>                           
     end repeat
end tell

tell application "Evernote"                 Interace with the Evernote application
     set theNewNote to create note with text "....."     Create a note
     <insert code>
end tell

• Like 1

I ran the exact script and there was a partially successful note but the generated table lacks the pdf & eml files. Am I missing something? like pointing the script to a designated folder

while also getting this error

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 4.46.04 AM.png

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, muhadi said:

pdf & eml files ... like pointing the script to a designated folder

688133011_ScreenShot2019-10-13at10_21_53.png.f2d0b0fea266d5fcde1c86aa7ef40fe1.png

To append these files to a note, they will have to be saved/retrieved to a folderspacer.png
I export the files using keyboard shortcuts (command-shift-s, ....)
After doing this manually, the folder location is constant

Here's sample applescript code for applying keyboard shortcuts:
     tell application "System Events" to keystroke "s" using {shift down, command down}
     delay 3
      tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

Then retrieve the files using
      tell application "Finder" to set the_files to name of files of folder POSIX file ("/Users/david/Desktop/...")

>>while also getting this error

Did you download Evernote from the app store?  There's reports of sandboxing restrictions

I'm using Evernote downloaded from www.evernote.com/download

• Like 1
Just now, DTLow said:

To append these files to a note, they will have to be stored somewhere
I exported the files to /Users/david/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote_Temp using
set theMessage to item 1 of theMessages
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "s" using {shift down, command down}
delay 3
delay 1
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "p" using {option down, command down}
delay 3
delay 5

Then retrieved the file using
tell application "Finder" to set the_files to name of files of folder POSIX file ("/Users/david/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote_Temp")

Thanks

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, muhadi said:

My wish is to have a friendly way to save some of my email into Evernote

The easiest way is to just forward the Mail Message to your Evernote inbox address.  You can see this address at https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action. It is the "Email Notes to" field.  This ensure you get the rich text formatting of the Message, as well as images and attachments.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

The easiest way is to just forward the Mail Message to your Evernote inbox address.

Good point; the email feature is a useful service

Downsides are; it's a premium feature, and we have no formatting options
My preference is to archive emails in both .eml and .pdf formats

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi there, very keen on having the ability to automate the sending of bulk sets of email into my Evernote account, but the mail app only allows you to do this either individually or by concatenating the multiple selected emails into a single note, which doesnt work for me (I need single notes linked to single emails to pump my email receipts into the same notebook as all other receipt material (scans etc.).

I found this veritrope script which is old, but sort of works and gives quite a few nice options on import. Only problem is, while plain text imports fine, my html emails (for example PayPal receipts) do not import properly - the documentation suggests it should. I think it may be due image files or some html issues, but this is way beyond my skill level (both html and AppleScript!). Whilst I work on increasing by abilities, any chance of looking at the script to see where it is falling down (not surprising since it hasn't been updated since 2014!). The author hasn't responded unfortunately which is fair enough, hence asking here.

Grateful for any advice people can give - thanks.

Update to this - my Apple.com receipts import OK, but the Paypal don't - no idea why, but must be some peculiarities with formatting. Also, there must be a simple mod to the script that would allow the header info that is displayed in the note to match the width of the table columns to the the displayed note width? I can do this manually when viewing the note, but is there an autoscale property somewhere? Thanks!