Jump to content
We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
RavBoy

When to Update Evernote - Rule of Thumb?

Recommended Posts

I use EN-for-Windows (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750).

The idea of updating from my existing EN-for-Windows version, makes me very anxious.  Indeed I have always felt this way when updating EN.  Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, other than updating in order to avail myself of some added new feature, or critical security issue.... is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN, or how long I can leave it before I must update? cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN

I follow Evernote's release schedule.

I delay implementation and review user feedback to identify issues I can't work around

I downgrade if I encounter a roadblock

>>Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, an overall movement forward  🙂

why-glass-half-full-people-live-more-fulfilling-lives

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I use EN-for-Windows (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750).

The idea of updating from my existing EN-for-Windows version, makes me very anxious.  Indeed I have always felt this way when updating EN.  Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, other than updating in order to avail myself of some added new feature, or critical security issue.... is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN, or how long I can leave it before I must update? cheers

 

If you don't need the new features and the version you have works well I wouldn't update until you need to.  This could be for a feature you want or if you feel you are losing currency by being too many versions back.  But only if the forum for whichever version is quiet.  My view anyway.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I delay implementation and review user feedback to identify issues

 

46 minutes ago, CalS said:

But only if the forum for whichever version is quiet

Ditto to both... I too check the forum to gauge the overall success/issues of an update before choosing to go ahead.  Seems to me, that the 80:20 seems to be on fixing issues, rather than adding features.  Okay, so good to know I wont be, potentially won't be, disadvantaged, by holding strong on a previous earlier version, unless of course latest versions fixed glaring issues that my version of EN suffered from. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, RavBoy said:

 

Ditto to both... I too check the forum to gauge the overall success/issues of an update before choosing to go ahead.  Seems to me, that the 80:20 seems to be on fixing issues, rather than adding features.  Okay, so good to know I wont be, potentially won't be, disadvantaged, by holding strong on a previous earlier version, unless of course latest versions fixed glaring issues that my version of EN suffered from. 

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...