When to Update Evernote - Rule of Thumb?

RavBoy

Idea

I use EN-for-Windows (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750).

The idea of updating from my existing EN-for-Windows version, makes me very anxious.  Indeed I have always felt this way when updating EN.  Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, other than updating in order to avail myself of some added new feature, or critical security issue.... is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN, or how long I can leave it before I must update? cheers

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN

I follow Evernote's release schedule.

I delay implementation and review user feedback to identify issues I can't work around

I downgrade if I encounter a roadblock

>>Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, an overall movement forward  🙂

why-glass-half-full-people-live-more-fulfilling-lives

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I use EN-for-Windows (6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750).

The idea of updating from my existing EN-for-Windows version, makes me very anxious.  Indeed I have always felt this way when updating EN.  Just seems to be like 2-steps forward, 1-step backwards.

So, other than updating in order to avail myself of some added new feature, or critical security issue.... is there some rule-of-thumb as to how frequently one must update EN, or how long I can leave it before I must update? cheers

If you don't need the new features and the version you have works well I wouldn't update until you need to.  This could be for a feature you want or if you feel you are losing currency by being too many versions back.  But only if the forum for whichever version is quiet.  My view anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I delay implementation and review user feedback to identify issues

46 minutes ago, CalS said:

But only if the forum for whichever version is quiet

Ditto to both... I too check the forum to gauge the overall success/issues of an update before choosing to go ahead.  Seems to me, that the 80:20 seems to be on fixing issues, rather than adding features.  Okay, so good to know I wont be, potentially won't be, disadvantaged, by holding strong on a previous earlier version, unless of course latest versions fixed glaring issues that my version of EN suffered from. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Ditto to both... I too check the forum to gauge the overall success/issues of an update before choosing to go ahead.  Seems to me, that the 80:20 seems to be on fixing issues, rather than adding features.  Okay, so good to know I wont be, potentially won't be, disadvantaged, by holding strong on a previous earlier version, unless of course latest versions fixed glaring issues that my version of EN suffered from. 

Sounds like you have a good plan.