Evernote Experience on the iPad Pro

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hello,

My use current use involves a MacBook and an iPhone, but my MacBook is nearing the end of its lifespan. Consequently, I am considering alternative devices to replace my MacBook. Here are my questions:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS, but have not found any videos demonstrating its usage. If I swapped to iPad OS, would I lose comprehensive search, document annotation, presentation mode, or any other desktop features? Knowing what to expect would help me to make an informed decision. 

Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant? Here I am mostly concerned about the overall functionality of the iPad OS application. Setting features aside, does the app work well?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Some Details: I am a longtime Evernote user with around 1800 notes. Most of my notes are research-related, including various documents, handwritten notes, and drafting/brainstorming.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, amfeather said:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS,

Currently, Evernote only supports an IOS version.  
No, the app is not full featured, compared to the Mac version

>>Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant?

I find the iPad experience pleasant, but rely on a Mac Mini for missing features

• Merging Notes
  • Applescript

>>would I lose comprehensive search

The search function is the same

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No, the app is not full feature.

I thought there was one version for iPhone and one version for iPad. This clears things up. Thanks!

1 hour ago, amfeather said:

Hello,

My use current use involves a MacBook and an iPhone, but my MacBook is nearing the end of its lifespan. Consequently, I am considering alternative devices to replace my MacBook. Here are my questions:

Is the Evernote toolkit on iPad Pro fully featured? I understand that the application is different on iPad OS, but have not found any videos demonstrating its usage. If I swapped to iPad OS, would I lose comprehensive search, document annotation, presentation mode, or any other desktop features? Knowing what to expect would help me to make an informed decision. 

Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant? Here I am mostly concerned about the overall functionality of the iPad OS application. Setting features aside, does the app work well?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Some Details: I am a longtime Evernote user with around 1800 notes. Most of my notes are research-related, including various documents, handwritten notes, and drafting/brainstorming.

You will lose presentation mode on the iPad. That was pulled from the app a couple years ago.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

My main issue is very basic: EN on the iPad completely relies on server data. It is working on one note at a time. This it is doing pretty fine.

But there is no merging of notes, no simultaneous tagging or moving of several notes etc.

I am using the iPad version appr. 80% of the time. But for heavy lifting like cleaning out my Inbox, rearranging of notes etc. I am using the Mac or Win10 client. These run EN on a local database, and support bulk editing.

And yes, no presentation mode. I use Goodnotes 5 for that, that just got an amazing presentation mode a few weeks ago, and as well allows 2 windows of the app to be open in split view.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a good experience on iPad alone imho. Seems like its an add on to the desktop not a fully realised app - I’m not sure where Evernote are going iOS wise so I’d stay clear. As they say round here it’s “all style and no trousers!” And it may not be as pretty but Apple Notes does as much - and even adds a date to each note! I’m one very disappointed customer!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Anthony Miller said:

Seems like its an add on to the desktop not a fully realized app ... I'm one very disappointed customer!

I agree with your assessment - Evernote/IOS is supplemental to the desktop platforms 

Recognizing this, I'm not a "disappointed customer".    
I  appreciate having access to my data when away from my desktop

btw  There is no charge for the Evernote/IOS app and data synchronization

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I agree with your assessment - Evernote/IOS is supplemental to the desktop platforms 

Recognizing this, I'm not a "disappointed customer".    
I'm happy to have access to my data when away from my desktop

btw  There is no charge for the Evernote/IOS app and data synchronization

I understand what you’re saying but I, mistakenly, took premium subs. I use my iPad for everything - no desktop. Obviously my fault for not reading the App Store description correctly but there’s no way I can reverse my subscription as far as I can tell. That’s why I’m disappointed! 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

EN plans do not work on a „per device“ basis.

The backbone is always the server function. Then features are added to it, over Premium as a full personal account to business as a solution for a group of people working together and sharing information. This is what one is paying for (or not, in case of the free Basic plan - which is ... basic).

All EN apps are free, be it desktop or mobile. But they always depend in key functions on the server and by this on the subscription one is choosing. In addition if on Basic, the number of devices connected to the server is restricted as well. So if you decide to degrade your plan when your current subscription is over, the app will stay the same, you will just have a reduced functionality when using it. And it will be for free ...

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, Anthony Miller said:

I understand what you’re saying but I, mistakenly, took premium subs. I use my iPad for everything - no desktop. Obviously my fault for not reading the App Store description correctly but there’s no way I can reverse my subscription as far as I can tell. That’s why I’m disappointed! 

Same here.

i am an iOS only user and this doesn’t feel great. But I am looking forward to see Small’s plan to make the EN experience same on every platform.

I am a returning Evernote user from 2008, but from what I can tell you could gain a little bit of functionality by using the web client on iPadOS. I am not 100% sure that the web client is on par with the desktop version, but it does seem to have more function then the iOS app. 

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, MosesGTC said:

...replace my laptop with a tablet. Apps are not full featured. 

The hardware and OS itself are also not "full featured"

However, we continue to see improvements in the hardware, OS, and apps     
For specific functions, a tablet can replace a laptop; even perform better than a laptop

• Level 5

It is true for many iPad apps that they are no fully featured equivalents of the desktop apps. This is not specific to EN.

However EN is still behind the recent developments of iOS. Several possibilities are not implemented yet, for example one can not open 2 sessions of the App side by side. This means one can work on only one note at any given time. There is no chance to have one session open for researching the database and another to collect the findings into a new note. This can only be done using another note taking app, like Apple notes.

Other aspects are no nested tags, no joining or collective working on several notes grouped together, by that no table of content and yes, no presentation mode. Clipping from the web works through the share function, which is far off from the quality WebClipper offers on a Desktop.

In general IMHO one can use EN on the iPad for data retrieval or short note taking, but not to really work.

One possible workaround for some (but not all) issues is to have a second session open using the web client.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 3:52 AM, DTLow said:

No, the app is not full featured, compared to the Mac version

>>Is the Evernote experience on iPad Pro pleasant?

I find the iPad experience pleasant, but rely on a Mac Mini for missing features

• Merging Notes
  • Applescript

>>would I lose comprehensive search

The search function is the same

DTlow,

could you please check if you can use searches like the following on your iPad? Background is that this is not working at all for my EN on iPad but very fine for EN on macOS

• "todo:false" -> show all notes with open tasks
  • stack:XXX -> show all notes in notebook stack XXX
  • -stack:XXX -> show all notes that are NOT in notebook stack XXX
  • stack:XXX todo:false -> show all notes with open tasks in notebook stack XXX

Very curious if this works for you. Would also be great to se which EN for iOS you are using

BR,

Holger

The app isn’t capable of replacing a laptop version I’m afraid. Not just for some of what you raised but also features like merge note are currently missing too. The app also suffers from the bug where it refreshes every time you leave it to read something else then return to it. In the iPad I get around that by using split screen which works fine. The app is great on the iPad in many ways don’t get me wrong but some key things are currently missing. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Holg said:

could you please check if you can use searches like the following on your iPad?

I'm using version 8.24.5 (370551)

Be aware that negation of the Stack (or Notebook) parameter is not supported   
also IOS searches are performed at the server if there is an internet connection

todo:false and todo:true are working for me    
Also working when combined with a stack parameter

Do you have specific examples where this is not working correctly?

I am using 8.24.5 (370051) .. for some reason the "todo:false" now is working. I was not aware that negation is not supported, thanks for the info.

BR,

Holger

9 hours ago, wbutchart said:

The app isn’t capable of replacing a laptop version I’m afraid. Not just for some of what you raised but also features like merge note are currently missing too. The app also suffers from the bug where it refreshes every time you leave it to read something else then return to it. In the iPad I get around that by using split screen which works fine. The app is great on the iPad in many ways don’t get me wrong but some key things are currently missing. 

The auto-refresh feature bit me today. I was searching for a note with a PDF (referencing it in an email), found and opened the PDF, found the information I needed in the PDF, then switched to the email to continue writing. When I returned (less than 20 seconds later) to Evernote, it was back to the top of the search results. I had to scroll down past several dozen notes, find what I previously found, re-open the PDF, then scroll down the PDF to where I previously was, which was somewhere around page 40. By the time I found the right information in the PDF, I had forgotten what information I needed, so I switched back to the email to reorient myself. Then I switched back to Evernote only to see that yet-again, I was at the top of my search results.

If there is a better way to do this, let me know. Similarly, I regularly find myself needing to view several PDFs at once. The only workaround I found is to save them individually to the iPad and then delete them when I am done. That seems wasteful.

21 hours ago, martyscholes said:

The auto-refresh feature bit me today. I was searching for a note with a PDF (referencing it in an email), found and opened the PDF, found the information I needed in the PDF, then switched to the email to continue writing. When I returned (less than 20 seconds later) to Evernote, it was back to the top of the search results. I had to scroll down past several dozen notes, find what I previously found, re-open the PDF, then scroll down the PDF to where I previously was, which was somewhere around page 40. By the time I found the right information in the PDF, I had forgotten what information I needed, so I switched back to the email to reorient myself. Then I switched back to Evernote only to see that yet-again, I was at the top of my search results.

If there is a better way to do this, let me know. Similarly, I regularly find myself needing to view several PDFs at once. The only workaround I found is to save them individually to the iPad and then delete them when I am done. That seems wasteful.

It’s a real frustration when that happens. The only way I have found to counteract it is to use split screen on the iPad. On the phone you would be better downloading the pdf I think and viewing it through another app. Hopefully this is resolved on the upcoming new app. It really hinders productivity which is kinda the point of Evernote. 

edit - I actually had to copy and paste my note into another notes app earlier! Not only did the note refresh when the screen switched off (I was reading from it for a recording) it then opened a different note once it had refreshed.