Links within notes

soralsokal

Idea

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, dniem said:

Hi, is there any update for this issue? A lot of people struggle with this problem of creating links within a note. 

No updates to the Evernote - links within a note are not supported 

I recommend separate notes, or use a different editor and store the document as a note attachment

I use an Index note where I have something like this which allows me to jump to a note within a notebook. 

What I'm wondering, however, is there a way to create one of these hyperlinks within a note? For example, let's say that my note Applying to College was really long. Could I put a couple of key words at the top of the note and link them to a particular section that might be 5 or 6 or 7 screens lower?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Chip

image.thumb.png.6bbaa551c00ac2632954c898a132f32f.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, ChipM said:

is there a way to create one of these hyperlinks within a note?

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion    
Such hyperlinks are not supported

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, tavor said:

Not to mention they were preoccupied with distractions like selling bags, socks and mugs.  

Because we know that the people who sold bags, socks and mugs were actually top programmers who should have been adding features ...

• Level 5

Currently best practice would be to split a note when it grows larger and larger, and link the segmented notes together. Since there are no backlinks (hello Roam), the links need to be created manually in both directions. A table of content note can be created by using a legacy client.

Another way to group the parts together would be by adding a tag to all of them, and use a saved search to call them quickly.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

A table of content note can be created by using a legacy client.

It's still possible in v10 (apparently)...  I just use a title line to link notes together.  Dates (IMHO) are a good 'keyword' so in a possibly long meeting note I'd probably set up a note with "20210312 - meeting -" as a heading and just copy the original and add a 1/2/3 etc to signify the order.  Search the date and ToC the list and your rmeeting is indexed for future annotation...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Because we know that the people who sold bags, socks and mugs were actually top programmers who should have been adding features ...

I really shouldn't have to explain this. Resources are finite, are they not? If a company pours some of its finite resources (funds, CEO mindshare, etc.) into merchandising, that necessarily reduces resources available for other pursuits.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since there are no backlinks (hello Roam)

Also Joplin, where you can have automatically displayed in every note the backlinks to other notes. Plus it's very easy to create links to other notes without switching notes and without your hands ever leaving the keyboard. And it has outline view as well.

Evernote, by not having backlinks, very easy note linking or outline view, is miles behind the competition in this regard.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
50 minutes ago, tavor said:

I really shouldn't have to explain this

We're not talking Elon Musk here - I have no inside info,  but my guess would be Evernote bought a corporate package from an online retailer who produced and warehoused the goods and fulfilled all deliveries.  Not likely that any management time was spent choosing colours or licking stamps.  Plus all that ended 5 years and two CEOs ago,  so they've had time to regroup...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No in-note TOC yet.

We hope that it means something that EN introduced 3 header level with v10. It would be a logical next step to use the headers to read the information to create a TOC at the beginning of a note, and provide a „go to“ option.

Not there, and nothing announced yet.

• Like 1

I have a workaround for large notes - I prefix each section title with a hash symbol (pound symbol for American friends) and simply search for that symbol to jump back and forth to each section.

Certainly not the same as in-note anchors, but (just) better than nothing.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, avevers said:

and simply search for that symbol

? Evernote search normally excludes anything outside 1-9 and a-Z;  are you using the Ctrl+F search?

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

? Evernote search normally excludes anything outside 1-9 and a-Z;  are you using the Ctrl+F search?

Yes - I use any symbol I tend not to type much, such as hash.

• Like 1

I like to keep a single note as a running kind of journal organized by date. Would love to have automatic toc/anchors for headings so when I put, e.g. a date in H2, it creates a link to it (see basic google doc for example). I still use other notes a lot, and appreciate all the features, but really want to have the option of having one long note. Also, password protection for notes, please. 

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, ivan.dabbles said:

I like to keep a single note as a running kind of journal organized by date. Would love to have automatic toc/anchors for headings so when I put, e.g. a date in H2, it creates a link to it (see basic google doc for example). I still use other notes a lot, and appreciate all the features, but really want to have the option of having one long note. Also, password protection for notes, please. 

Hi.  Lots of disadvantages to long diary notes - slow to load / eggs in one basket (one error loses all records) / etc

Plus.  Create a new note - comes with created date;  add data and save in "Diary" file - sort in created date order.  New day = new note. 

Saves entering any dates at all.  Easier to find given entries,  and 'automatic toc' is just a listing of those entries.  Third-party add-in Filterize will keep that up to date for you if necessary.

There's also a voting thread around for password protection,  though unless you're keeping medical, banking or financial detail in your notes it seems overkill for a daily record...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ivan.dabbles said:

... journal organized by date ...but really want to have the option of having one long note.

Another vote for new note each day

I also do individual journal posts   
This allows individual tags, title, reminder, ...

• Level 5

One note per day, one note per week. Not longer, one per month is too long.

If one wants to jump, a TOC note as a collector. If daily one per month, if weekly a yearly TOC.

What I found an interesting idea is to have a note for each day of the year, and use it over again. You write every year what you did on the 10th of July into the daily Note for the 10th of July, and you get a view of every 10th of July, year by year. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

No horse in this race but if I were to become an avid personal historian I might have tags for Y99, M99 and D99 with a note per day.  Then I could get any combo of days that I might like.  But that is not me!!!  🤣

• Like 2

I think this is at least semi-related to this discussion...

I've long wanted to be able to link to a particular section/header/block in a note from another note.

Today, I clicked on a link in the task view to take me to a note so that I could view the task in the context of the position of where it was at in the note and... I could not find my task in my note at first! I wouldn't say my note was very long -- but I scrolled right past the task several times.

It would be great if when you click on a task/note it can take you right to the exact spot in the note where the task is.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Lots of disadvantages to long diary notes - slow to load / eggs in one basket (one error loses all records) / etc

Plus.  Create a new note - comes with created date;  add data and save in "Diary" file - sort in created date order.  New day = new note. 

Saves entering any dates at all.  Easier to find given entries,  and 'automatic toc' is just a listing of those entries.  Third-party add-in Filterize will keep that up to date for you if necessary.

There's also a voting thread around for password protection,  though unless you're keeping medical, banking or financial detail in your notes it seems overkill for a daily record...

Thanks for the reply. I really understand the reasoning and logic behind one new note for each entry. Still, I'd prefer to have headers act as anchor links. This is done automatically in G Docs, but instead of using Google, I'd like to use Evernote. May not happen, but that's what I'm providing feedback about. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, DTLow said:

Another vote for new note each day

Right. One note per day is the current way. I get it, and I know that Evernote is built on that. I'm not trying to upend that, just hoping to have headings be anchor links so that I can ALSO use it (sometimes) in this other way. 

• Level 5

You can insert links into notes, any place you want to place them.

They will take you to another note, opening it at the beginning.

If you want to jump, right into a note, way down, no way currently. 

Workaround: Split long notes into several smaller ones.

PS: EN very rarely comments on new features under development. You see it is there when you get it. However I would not bet this is currently a top runner on the backlog.

• Thanks 1

"SInce 2014 this idea - inline links/anchors have been asked for.  It is now 2019  Come On Evernote!"

2021 checking in.

I'm 90percent using Obsidian these days and the text collapsing and links to headers plus ability to search  headers only is amazing. There are still a few things I like about Evernote and probably would come back and renew my subscription if it got links and duplicating notes got sorted.

*Also links took a major step back in Evernote some time back. On iOS, I just "copied internal link" and it pasted plain text. Went back and copied it again, it then creates a link that when clicked on in desktop client opens in Evernote web.

• Level 5

One says "Oh, this brilliant idea was put on the table in 2014, and these morons still haven't got it".

The "moron" says "Look, this idea didn't make it since 2014, and we are still there and thriving without it".

Personally I think we should look more to the future than always dig around in the past. Yes, links inside of a note, precisely where I would like to place them, maybe even on a picture or attachment, would be a useful extension. When talking about it: Please together with a back linking capability, thank you.

But fingerpointing seems to be more fun ...

Never thought Evernote developers are morons, clearly there's brilliance in it. They simply have priorities and many things are improving drastically,  that's why I came back to boost the signal of this. Especially since links took a step backwards recently and go to the web UI. 

One could say, a person who seems to spend their whole life on the forum of a note-taking app and seems to reply to everything is exhibiting moronic behavior. I wouldn't say that though, but one might.

Linking "is" part of the future.  Maybe not in the near-term for Evernote, I can live with it and thrive regardless.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

One says "Oh, this brilliant idea was put on the table in 2014, and these morons still haven't got it".

The "moron" says "Look, this idea didn't make it since 2014, and we are still there and thriving without it".

Literally, nobody said moron but you.

I'd trade away ALL my feature requests if we could do away with your brand of sarcastic, unhelpful moderation. 

Reminder that I pay for Evernote, so I'll go ahead and ask for the things I want from it in order to get the most out of it. That's literally what this board is for. The various workaround and alternatives you and others suggest won't do the trick. That's why people continue to ask for this (and other) features. BTW, whats being asked for here isn't radical. I'm guessing you have enough knowledge and experience to be helpful, but it feels too difficult, if those of us on the board just wear you out with our input, maybe you should hang up the cleats for a while.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The argument that something becomes more important just because it was proposed some time ago is just not valid. I just wanted to point to that fact. One can take both positions - that it is a pity nothing has happened yet, or that it proves that the product can do without.

If the argument would be valid, the world would be full of pyramids.

If you dislike the wording, have my apology.

One more time, "internal links" aren't working properly as they are. This "pity" and "do without" extreme talk is  nothing  but another hit for you to get high on the smell of your own farts.

Even your apologies reek of insincerity.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bounce said:

Even your apologies reek of insincerity.

I don't think it was an apology.  However personal attacks aren't helping anything except to get this thread closed down if they continue. 

Please -everyone- keep it relevant to the original discussion.  It is a fact that internal links aren't (yet) available;  also that viable or not,  there are work-arounds. 

Evernote aren't going to announce when or whether they're about to introduce a new feature,  so as with any request... use what you have,  or find it somewhere else.

Votes in favour here will be noted,  but may or may not speed things up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really wish they'd add this feature.

I like to do one note per week for my work journal, but would like to be able to have an anchor type link within a note so I can quickly navigate to each day or specific content without so much scrolling.

A little less tweaking with existing features and a little work on something that's been asked for repeatedly for 7 years would be nice.

• Level 5*
On 9/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, Mareydenis said:

I really wish they'd add this feature.

I like to do one note per week for my work journal, but would like to be able to have an anchor type link within a note so I can quickly navigate to each day or specific content without so much scrolling.

A little less tweaking with existing features and a little work on something that's been asked for repeatedly for 7 years would be nice.

Long notes are a pain.  A notebook dedicated to the journal,  with a separate note for each day,  would give you a timeline,  and tags to indicate any content of significance would allow you to find all the notes containing "Project X" forinstance.  Actually Evernote's search is so good that a search within that notebook for all notes containing the phrase would do the same.  No scrolling involved...

• Level 5*
On 9/7/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mareydenis said:

one note per week for my work journal ...   
I can quickly navigate to each day ...

Can you identify the advantages of the "one note"

I use one note per day for my daily journal   
plus separate notes though out the day    
I can quickly navigate to a specific day

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you identify the advantages of the "one note"

I use one note per day for my daily journal   
plus separate notes though out the day    
I can quickly navigate to a specific day

I can try: In my case, I write a few lines everyday (gratitudes), and so I'd like to be able to add or tag a date of entry within a single note, and navigate there. It's a long note, so maybe I wanna see some entries from 2020 (for example). Doing one for each day gets to be hundreds (thousands?) of individual notes each with only a few lines of text. Looking over them requires clicking in and out of different notes. This isn't ideal. Make sense?

I'm now using Google Docs for this since they have the outline feature (so easy, enter the date, and it's an anchor link...really seems like it's not a super difficult feature), but I'm still using Evernote for other stuff. It's not ideal.

There are other ways that utilizing a long single note that can have anchor points would be helpful (i.e. jotting down project ideas over time within a larger project notebook). 

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

Long notes are a pain.  A notebook dedicated to the journal,  with a separate note for each day,  would give you a timeline,  and tags to indicate any content of significance would allow you to find all the notes containing "Project X" forinstance.  Actually Evernote's search is so good that a search within that notebook for all notes containing the phrase would do the same.  No scrolling involved...

Long notes are desired and helpful for some. 

• Level 5

Anybody can create notes as long as he wishes.

A note with the maximum size allowed for subscribers (200MB) can contain all characters written into 100 books with 500 pages each, counting 4.000 characters (50 rows of 80 characters) per page. This is a small library of text - in a single note.

Who now expects this small library to be pressed through a maybe slow internet connection in a blink, not creating syncing conflicts because the typing goes on while the syncing has not yet finished, will learn some truth about why small notes do much better than large ones.

There is a real world equivalent to the use case mentioned above: There exist calendars with one page for each day of the year, with 10 entries per day. They are meant to write down some memorables every day, and by doing it year by year on the same page see how things were going year by year.

Translate this to the use case above: Create a template note, put a table into it, and on day one start to create a copy. Insert a link to the prior note (the first linking to a TOC note), and in the prior note a link to the new one.

Do so every day, until you have 365 copies with 365 first entries. From year 2 you start to reopen the existing notes, adding a new row to the table, adding a new entry to the note.

You will be able to repeat this for a whole long life, if you are around, and if EN is around long enough, without ever scratching on any critical size of the daily notes. If you add 100 words each year, for 100 years, the note will have 50kB, smaller than even a small picture taken by any smartphone camera.

But sure, you can throw everything into one large note, suffer bad performance, loose some of the content due to sync problems or a fat finger, then come back here, complain and ask for help. Don’t say it happened without warning and advise …

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, dniem said:

The only feature I've missed in Evernote

I use the Evernote editor for basic notes  
When I need features not supported by the editor,    
I create a document using an external editor like Apple Pages   
The document is stored in Evernote as a note file attachment

Hi, Evernote has the option to create internal link to a note, I wonder if there is a feature to create a link to the content of a Note? This would make it easier to refer to the specific contents in a Note. 

Microsoft OneNote has the option to link the contents in a Note. Make it easy for cross reference between Notes. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Rakeshistom said:

It would be great if Evernote transparently display their roadmap, like other software vendors. After 7 years we are still waiting for this feature to release. 

Which other vendors, exactly? None of the 'big' software companies (Amazon, IBM, Microsoft...) publish anything in detail.  (And Evernote are developers,  not vendors.)

Plus for 6 of those 7 years it wasn't feasible for the app to provide features that would work reliably in several different operating systems on nearly all devices.  Now the app is more independent of the device OS,  lots more is possible - but there are still lots of development issues to resolve first.

• Like 3