Had to delete my phone because I logged in on my phone

The Mage

Idea

I have the free account, so I am limited to 2 devices. I upgraded to IOS 13, and it caused me to re-login.

I login and suddenly it is refusing to let me use it until I delete one of my devices. My computer, my iPhone, or my iPhone. I may have changed the name of my iPhone, but that was quite awhile ago, and I swear I had to log into my devices again since then. 

It's a minor issue, but still annoying. Since It is using the name of my device I deleted my iPhone I was using. But that brings up the question, what happens if somebody names all their devices the same thing? I would think Evernote would be set up to something associated with the phone internally, like the serial number. 

I intend on upgrading my iPhone soon, and I will name it the same thing and see what happens.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Since I have no limitation, I have more devices on my account. I just looked up how my new iPhone does register there. I restored it from a full copy via iTunes when I switched devices last week.

It seems they use an unique identifier stored by EN on the device, not a device finger print. In the account page it says I am registered with my iPhone since quite a while, although this was obviously my old iPhone. So probably this identifier was copied on to my new phone, together with all the other data and settings.

If you have 2 iPhones on your account, and own only one, you should be able to find out which is which, and delete the obsolete one from your account.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you have 2 iPhones on your account, and own only one, you should be able to find out which is which, and delete the obsolete one from your account.

I deleted the one without a problem. But it wasn't a 2nd iPhone, it was the same iPhone.

The only difference was that one had the name I was using, "The Mage's iPhone", and the new name, "Skynet".

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since you now should have one device free, you can log your iPhone in again, and should be able to use it.

I do not have one device free. I had "3" devices and had to delete one of them. I will have one free if I remove my computer since I am always accessing it online as opposed to using the app. 

• Level 5

Your computer - 1

Your iPhone "The Mage's iPhone" - 2

Your same iPhone "Skynet" - 3 - oooops, 1 too much

Take out both phones - 1 free

Put back one of the phones - none free

Delete the computer - 1 free

I think I still get the math, although if we continue it may get confusing. Let us say your initial problem was solved, and you can now go on to optimize your setup. Have fun using EN !

• Level 5

If you know which phone is which, you can take it off selectively.

If you do not know it, you take both off, and reopen EN on the phone you are going to use.

Because normally there is not much data saved on the phone, it really makes not that much of a difference.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you know which phone is which, you can take it off selectively.

If you do not know it, you take both off, and reopen EN on the phone you are going to use.

Because normally there is not much data saved on the phone, it really makes not that much of a difference.

Are you joking with me?

I'm just getting confused because before I even made the first post of this thread I fixed the issue. But you seem to keep posting as if I am still trying to figure it out when this was mostly a rant about what I admit is a minor issue. I had thought I made it clear that it was resolved. Just that it annoyed me that I had to resolve it in the first place. After what I thought were multiple clarifications I began to wonder if you were trolling me a little.