Scannable Cannot Save to Camera Rill

smiller57

Idea

I recently updated to iOS 13.1. Since doing so I have been unable  to save scannable scans as JPEG’s into my camera roll. I am not sure how to bubble this up to the proper people to ensure that it gets addressed at some point soon. Any thoughts on who to tell or what the procedure is?

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Just gave it a try on my iPhone 11 with iOS 13.1 and Scanable 2.3.3:

Open, scan

Click on the picture preview below the live camera picture. You get this screen (sorry, all in German):

IMG_0105.thumb.jpeg.569851cc738d57048552fa753f1915f2.jpeg

Click on the left Option. Now you can save in the camera roll or NEW into the files app.

IMG_0106.thumb.jpeg.a37a9c44c40d0d536ca264ecbdf17ce5.jpeg

Thank you for your replies pink elephant and gazumped. 

I have done a fresh reinstall and it does not seem to do the trick,

I have also followed your suggestion pink elephant and I am not getting the same results. When I click on save to camera roll or Evernote, I get no response.  It’s as if the links are completely broken. Perhaps we have different versions?

A30CD219-2349-49E3-A4C5-4B462663A63B.png

126453FB-8AF2-4616-94AB-2AD8848FFA83.png

• Level 5

You find the versions of the programs I use on top of my post.

Because I could not resist to get myself a new iPhone 11 Pro Max, the installation is completely new.

I just tried the complete workflow, and it saved a pdf into a new EN note in my „@ INBOX“ and a jpeg into my camera roll.

However, this is why I usually don’t use Scanable at all. I usually use ScannerPro from readdle. It has an option to create workflows. I have several workflows, one for each regular document type. So if I scan a receipt, I pick the receipts-workflow, which automatically sends the scan into the receipts-notebook and tags it with some standard tags like the current year, the tag „receipt“ and the tag „ScannerPro“ for the source.

It is weird that a 3rd parts app does this, which is not possible in Scanable itself.

If I scan from an open note, I use the scanning ability build into EN itself. 

For me, there is no usecase for Scanable at all. I just happen to still have the app on my phone, copied to the new phone from the days when I tested it.

• Level 5

One more thing: I have set my ScannerPro in a way that every scan will be saved automatically to my OneDrive as well. I do not have an Office license, so I just have the 5 GB from the free account. There is not much you can do with that little cloud space, so I use it to save a copy of each scan I do.

Once every X months I simply empty the folder, and set it back for the next cycle.

The workflows have one issue at the moment: Once you have created a tag in them, you can not delete it. Since I tag everything with the year of creation, I have to delete and recreate the workflows currently when the new year starts. This does not take long, but I dislike any repetitive task I can avoid.

In summer I had a nice Skype interview with the Product Manager for ScannerPro at readdle, and she promised me she will put this on her list. Maybe I get a Christmas present before the year ends this time.

And one more hint: ScannerPro has its own OCR capability. Maybe check it out, how good it works on your docs. I found it pretty good for my mostly German language docs, and have set it to OCR right on my iPhone. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds, before I can upload, but this is o.k.

The advantage is that the OCR result is embedded into the Pdf file itself. When EN does the OCR, I believe it will put the result somewhere into the note, not into the pdf. I prefer to have the OCR data go along with the file. When the Pdf comes with OCR data, EN will use it instead of OCRing it again on the server.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If a reinstall doesn't fix this (always worth trying first) - since you're a subscriber,  reach out to Evernote Support:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Didn’t help! No answers addressed problem directly after hours of searching.

Scannable was, for years, saving scanned photos in “camera roll” , but now doesn’t! On iPad Air and iPhone 8. 
No problem saving to Evernote. I did reinstall Scannable and deleted the data.
Any clues?

thanks

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Did you allow Scannable access to the camera roll in the app settings ?

Iphone settings, go down to the app, enable read & write for camera roll.

Yes to “Allow Scannable to use camera” & “ Photos- Read and write”.

Don’t have option for “camera roll- read and write”.

As I said- I’ve been using scannable for years and this is on my iPad and iPhone 8 that it does the same thing.  When I tap to “save” and then “camera roll” I get blue screen and rotating circle saying “saving image to camera roll”. Forever! Never saves!

Thanks for any help.

I would think so.

i save fine to Evernote, and changed in settings “auto” to both other options. (Image & PDF). Same thing. 

thanks.

embarrassing also : I was showing Scannable to someone and it wouldn’t save to Photos!

• Level 5

Personally I do not use Scannable at all.

If I need a quick scan inside of EN, I open a new note and use the build in scanner behind the "+"-symbol.

For real scan jobs I use ScannerPro on the iPhone. It allows to create workflows that import the scan into EN, each workflow predefined right into the correct notebook and with standard tags. This is a time saver.

For large scanning jobs I use my ix500 with the sheet feeder.

Thanks!

I have plenty of "work around" ways. Scannable worked for many years for me, and for it to just up and quit with the camera roll is baffling.

It is trying to get through the cloud to my iMac, because I just found a couple of dozen "Scannable" albums.  I deleted them all  ["0" photos in each] and every time  I go to save something from Scannable to "Camera Roll" it creates another folder under my albums in my iMac!!!.  THAT'S INTERESTING!!

"The game is afoot!"

• Level 5

Interesting issue - maybe has something to do with the iCloud settings for photos.

My Scannable does save to the camera roll if I choose this in the save dialogue. These are my settings in iCloud, for you to compare. In the iClouds initial screen photos is activated, I share with my iPhone and my MacBook Pro:

image.thumb.jpeg.f712824ea8f72691a590196f2b20cbe7.jpeg

Thanks for that... always good to compare.  I did have my " Photo Stream" on which I switched off and tried it.

It created another album on my iMac with "0" photos; and my screen and never-ending circle rotation are still there.  I save same capture to Evernote and it took a fraction of a second.

Worth a try- Thanks!

I also see that Apple has switched gears a few times with names: I have an iPhoto Library, a Photos Library, and a PhotoBooth Library.

Hmm, Me thinks delving into this seemingly redundant situation is in order.

• Level 5

It seems there is something pretty mixed up with the photos handling through iCloud in your case.

Scannable saves to the general camera roll on my iPhone, does not create an album of its own. Other apps do this, for example Skitch, Snapseed and OfficeLens. They sync just fine from the iPhone to the iPad and the Mac. All show in the general view, no Album created.

Maybe Support can help. In Scannable Settings there is a Protocol and an option to enable a log file. Maybe it is related to iCloud, this would mean contact Apple support. Good luck, and let us know how you sorted it out.

So... I got on the phone with Apple Support, and he went through my iPad [ so I could talk on my iPhone while conversing]

After checking all my cloud settings and "Resetting" my iPad, it's still doing the same thing. 

His next suggestion was to restore my iPad from a backup, but that would do nothing as my iPhone still does the same thing...

He concluded it was a Scannable problem. Maybe I can get a log file to them and they will have an idea what's going on.

Scannable has setup many albums and directories on my iMac [after perusing around]. I would think it should setup ONE album [photos] and ONE directory [Documents or wherever] to plop it's "Scannable" captures.

Why they are all over the place, I don't know.  The OTHER original "scannable" album on my iMac in "Photos" has 37 Scannable captures in it- Why it stopped putting them there is beyond me. Last was 4/3/20. I guess that's a date we can go by as "last cooperative state"

Thanks for being patient with me and for all your guidance..

So, I have had a ticket open with Evernote for a week, and I get asked questions I answered in my initial request for support [I did send along the blue screenshot].

I sent them a log file but I guess they couldn't come up with any answers-because now I got moved up to Tech support who "will get back to you"...

I thought I was there already 🤷‍♂️

Hi there – May I please ask who this is? I keep getting these updates sent to my email based on Evernote support activity that I did not initiate. My name is Shawn Miller and my username is “smiller57.” Do we have the same username?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, smiller57 said:

Hi there – May I please ask who this is? I keep getting these updates sent to my email based on Evernote support activity that I did not initiate. My name is Shawn Miller and my username is “smiller57.” Do we have the same username?

Hi.  If you're getting updated from this forum,  your activity (or at least activity under this ID) has been happening here recently. 

See https://discussion.evernote.com/profile/244510-smiller57/

If you're referring to something else,  you'd need to raise that with Support - this is a public forum and you probably shouldn't post copy emails or addresses here...

• Level 5
3 hours ago, smiller57 said:

In your Profile it says you decided on August 24th to follow 3 threads, this is one of these 3. If you follow a thread you get a notification whenever there is activity in that thread. 

If you did not activate this, you should make sure that your account is not compromised by somebody who has your login credentials.

In this case go straight to support ! There was a notification in the forum that chat is down for a few days, because of low staffing in the support team.

1537004E-5323-4FEC-B216-A6A4A428C40E.thumb.jpeg.be6a46e824c8e90dd485fc42a02b6bda.jpeg

• Like 1

Well now... interesting email just received:! 

“Perrin M. (Evernote Help and Learning) 

Sep 3, 2020, 3:01 PM PDT 

Hello Richard,

I just found out that the issue you've reported about Scannable not saving scans to the camera roll is a known issue that our developers are currently investigating. At the moment, I don't have a time or date on when this will be resolved.“

Guess they’re busy if it takes a week And four emails to tell you that it’s a known issue.  At least now I know I’m not unique!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1