Ability to have search results of top level tags include notes associated with subtags

remembereverything

Idea

Perhaps some context can help with my question. Let's say I am a cocktail enthusiast and I like to save cocktail recipes into an evernote Cocktail Recipe Evernote Notebook. For better lookup purposes I can make a cocktail tag to organize in a hierarchy every tag that I want to use exclusively for this notebook. Let's say I save a few recipes in there and I want to then tag each recipe with the liquor associated with each recipe for a quick reference so I would create another hierarchy tag that is called liquor but I won't necessarily want to tag my recipes with that tag but only with the sub tags like whiskey, vodka, tequila etc. Then I come to some recipes that are using Rye whiskey vs bourbon in this case I may want to create an additional level that has whiskey at the top but then has the different types like rye and bourbon etc at the bottom.

With this example in mind, i am curious if I want to go and search through my recipes that have whiskey in them but no necessarily want to remember all the types of whiskey tags I have can we just search using the high level whiskey tag even tho there is no note that is tagged with whiskey but have the search results include all the notes that have the sub tags under whiskey.

I think this should be a feature that you can toggle so that you can include sub tags in search result or not.

Currently this doesn't happen. Right now I have a top level tag called "type of food" that i don't tag my notes with rather I have sub tags that are called American, or French, or Mexican etc. I have this for organizational purposes however I can't search for the tag "type of food" as it has not notes associated with it. However, I feel that it should pull the notes associated with the lower level tags so searching for "type of food" should pull in notes associated with Mexican, American, and French but I think this feature should be a toggle where you can choose to include notes with associated sub tags or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9DWaBPY_0#action=share

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, remembereverything said:

Ability to have search results of top level tags include notes associated with subtags

As a work-around for Mac users, this can be scripted using Applescript.

My script approach is

1. Identify all the tags; parent, child, sub-child, ..
  2. Identify the notes for each tag
  3. My first thought is to assign a temporary tag for use in an Evernote search