Jump to content

Place initial focus into note's title for New Note


Recommended Posts

Hi,

It seems that when a user presses ctrl+N to create a new note on windows, that the initial focus should be placed into the Title textbox just like the Mac client does. Currently the windows client places the initial focus in the body of the note, which results in a poor UX.

There is no easy way with a keyboard shortcut to switch from the body (where the initial focus is placed) to the title box, because [Tab] and [Shift-Tab] get captured in the body text box (because of rich text and the support for indentation). The upshot is that there is no way to easily name a note and put some text in the body without using the mouse to select the note's title. If the initial focus was in the title, the user could quickly type the title and press [Tab] to then start populating the body. It seems the Mac client has the default correct here.

Thanks for your consideration,

Brian

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Brian Schroeder said:

It seems that when a user presses ctrl+N to create a new note on windows, that the initial focus should be placed into the Title textbox just like the Mac client does. Currently the windows client places the initial focus in the body of the note, which results in a poor UX.

Note that the whole reason that there's an option for this is that some people want initial focus to go to the title entry, and some people want it to go directly to the note, since title is assumed to be the first line of the note if not explicitly entered. There is no "poor UX" about it, because there's no obvious best choice.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Brian Schroeder said:

Hi,

It seems that when a user presses ctrl+N to create a new note on windows, that the initial focus should be placed into the Title textbox just like the Mac client does. Currently the windows client places the initial focus in the body of the note, which results in a poor UX.

There is no easy way with a keyboard shortcut to switch from the body (where the initial focus is placed) to the title box, because [Tab] and [Shift-Tab] get captured in the body text box (because of rich text and the support for indentation). The upshot is that there is no way to easily name a note and put some text in the body without using the mouse to select the note's title. If the initial focus was in the title, the user could quickly type the title and press [Tab] to then start populating the body. It seems the Mac client has the default correct here.

Thanks for your consideration,

Brian

Check Set new note to title in Tools - Options - Note.

Image.png.61226c8e939a9d59cb85377b11536e58.png

Link to post
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, mismille said:

Have you checked your options to see if checking "Set new note focus to title" this does the trick?

 

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  And check Tools > Options...

 

7 hours ago, CalS said:

Check Set new note to title in Tools - Options - Note.

This seems to be something we'd call a "preponderance"...

Link to post

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...