Android Widget Issues

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Greetings,

I am attempting to setup widgets for myself on android and I have encountered some inconsistencies.

I desire to view a list of notes under a certain tag or notebook and be able to open a specific note from the home screen.

It appears if Evernote is closed in the background, it will open right to the note I picked, as desired. HOWEVER, once Evernote is open, it will reopen the app to where I left off instead of the note I tap. So if i was last looking at a search in the app, and I tap a note from the homescreen, it will open that search instead of the note I chose.

Is there something I am misunderstanding or is this a known issue? I couldn't find any info on it so I figured I would run it by you fellas.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  It's possible to set the widget to show shortcuts or saved searches (which can also be shortcuts) so I'd suggest that might be a better option.  Both are also available from the app,  so it becomes more academic where you tap the link - you should always wind up with the same note within one or two taps.  Searches can include 'any note created today' and 'notes updated today' so they're pretty flexible...

Hmmmm, so I just tested that and it works perfectly with shortcuts! I don't understand why notebooks and tags don't have the same basic functionality of going to where you tap. Is this pretty well known? I am just curious to why you suggested it xP

I am trying to wrap my head around that, but I am not sure I understand. I desire to have multiple widgets on my homescreen that I can use to display different kinds of notes. For instance, I could have one widget display notes relating to "school" and the other "work". Currently, shortcuts appears to be the only way this is possible, but my widgets would be redundant and messy as there is no hierarchy or organization to shortcuts (that I know of). If I use saved searches, the same issue comes up of it not selecting the note.

If I am missing something please let me know, this is something that would really elevate my productivity. Thanks for the help thus far!

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ncerbone said:

but my widgets would be redundant and messy as there is no hierarchy or organization to shortcuts

I'm thinking that by using widgets, you are applying hierarchy and organization

>>widgets are the same, as they both show the "Shortcuts" page

Sorry, my mistake - I thought the widget pointed to a specific shortcut 

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I'm thinking that by using widgets, you are applying hierarchy and organization

Both my widgets are the same, as they both show the "Shortcuts" page. To be clear, this is the ONLY page that responds to the note I tap on the home screen of my phone. The shortcuts page can be used, but it is not ideal for my use as I would like to show two different widgets on my home screen. If I was to use shortcuts I would need to tap on the tag or search I have inserted before viewing the contents.

• Level 5*

Not sure if it suits your use case,  but there is one further option we haven't mentioned yet:  it is possible to embed one or more shortcuts to individual notes on your mobile home page. 

If you made a note a Table of Contents with links to other notes,  you could have several notes available within a couple of taps.  To be clear - an icon on your mobile opens the app and jumps to the relevant note - which could be another ToC for 'school' notes.  Another icon could open a 'work' related ToC.  No way that I'm aware of to open a 'new' note this way.

There is a separate thread somewhere about being able to embed a shortcut in a note and activate it from there,  and shortcuts can point to notebooks as well as notes.  Not sure how far that might take you...

7 hours ago, ncerbone said:

I don't understand why notebooks and tags don't have the same basic functionality of going to where you tap. Is this pretty well known? I am just curious to why you suggested it xP

I suggested the feature only because I play around with options (a lot) so I know what's available and what is not.  Usually.  🙂

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Not sure if it suits your use case,  but there is one further option we haven't mentioned yet:  it is possible to embed one or more shortcuts to individual notes on your mobile home page. 

If you made a note a Table of Contents with links to other notes,  you could have several notes available within a couple of taps.  To be clear - an icon on your mobile opens the app and jumps to the relevant note - which could be another ToC for 'school' notes.  Another icon could open a 'work' related ToC.  No way that I'm aware of to open a 'new' note this way.

There is a separate thread somewhere about being able to embed a shortcut in a note and activate it from there,  and shortcuts can point to notebooks as well as notes.  Not sure how far that might take you...

I suggested the feature only because I play around with options (a lot) so I know what's available and what is not.  Usually.  🙂

Ooo that is very creative! I was aware that you could perform internal references, but I had not considered this use. I may go with this as it offers more flexibility than the shortcuts option, and I can organize right from my home screen. Thank you ^-^

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 9/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, ncerbone said:

It appears if Evernote is closed in the background, it will open right to the note I picked, as desired. HOWEVER, once Evernote is open, it will reopen the app to where I left off instead of the note I tap.

Just coming in late to say that this behavior was reported by someone else also recently, though I can't find the thread just now, and when I tested I found the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution
On 9/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just coming in late to say that this behavior was reported by someone else also recently, though I can't find the thread just now, and when I tested I found the same thing.

Finally found the other report, scrolling down in the update release thread:

On 9/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Finally found the other report, scrolling down in the update release thread:

Thank you for the link! I probably should have reinstalled the app first thing, but it sounded like that was the case across all devices. Anyways, reinstalling did the trick and I can now access any note from the widget!! Thank you for all the help!!

• Like 1