Tag Merging / Grooming

falenn

Idea

I'd like to be able to groom the growing set of tags.  For example, I've created two tags, Prometheus and prometheus.  Since they are unique, I now have notes linked to 2 different typings of the same word.  I'd like to be able to fix the tags on all the notes that contain the one tag such that all notes point to the same tag.

Also, I'd like to be able to namespace tags.  For instance, source:Title_of_a_Book.  Now, when I look at tags, I can see how many notes refer to that book.

Thanks!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 9/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, falenn said:

For example, I've created two tags, Prometheus and prometheus.

These are the same tag in Evernote. Cane doesn't matter with tag names inside a single account. From the Evernote API reference (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Types.html#Struct_Tag (I've boldfaced the relevant rule):

Struct: Tag

Field Type
guid Guid
name string
parentGuid Guid
updateSequenceNum i32

A tag within a user's account is a unique name which may be organized a simple hierarchy.

guid
The unique identifier of this tag. Will be set by the service, so may be omitted by the client when creating the Tag. 
Length: EDAM_GUID_LEN_MIN - EDAM_GUID_LEN_MAX 
Regex: EDAM_GUID_REGEX
name
A sequence of characters representing the tag's identifier. Case is preserved, but is ignored for comparisons. This means that an account may only have one tag with a given name, via case-insensitive comparison, so an account may not have both "food" and "Food" tags. May not contain a comma (','), and may not begin or end with a space. 
Length: EDAM_TAG_NAME_LEN_MIN - EDAM_TAG_NAME_LEN_MAX 
Regex: EDAM_TAG_NAME_REGEX

It is possible to see these as separate if one comes from another account, as with shared notebooks, but that's a different case altogether, since you cannot groom someone else's tags.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, falenn said:

Also, I'd like to be able to namespace tags.  For instance, source:Title_of_a_Book.  Now, when I look at tags, I can see how many notes refer to that book.

I don't know what you mean by "namespace" here. Or what "source: Title_of_a_Book" means either. I know that "source"" is a valid search term in Evernote, but from the context, it doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.

• Level 5*
On 9/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, falenn said:

I'd like to be able to groom the growing set of tags.

Evernote does not support a "tag merging" function

My method for "grooming" is to search and select the notes on a Windows/Mac computer.  This gives a group box for the assignment of new tags, and the unassignment of obsolete tags (do the new assignment before the unassignment).  I can then delete the obsolete tags

>>Also, I'd like to be able to namespace tags.  For instance, source:Title_of_a_Book.  Now, when I look at tags, I can see how many notes refer to that book.

I can see using a tag  "Book - <title>"

Not sure I need "Source"

• Level 5*
On 9/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, falenn said:

I'd like to be able to groom the growing set of tags.  For example, I've created two tags, Prometheus and prometheus.  Since they are unique, I now have notes linked to 2 different typings of the same word.  I'd like to be able to fix the tags on all the notes that contain the one tag such that all notes point to the same tag.

Prometheus and prometheus should be the same tag per @jefito.  IAC, to fix things when you have multiple tags that should be the same tag

1. Do an Any search for all the tags in question, this will return notes containing any of the tags.
  2. Alt+A in the note list to select all notes in the search result.
  3. Ctrl+Alt+T to bring up the Assign Tags dialogue box.
  4. Uncheck the tag names you don't want, all of them if you want to add a new one to replace them all
  5. Add the new tag if you are doing that, make sure it is checked.
  6. Be very careful and hit OK when you are done.  Careful in that if you hit okay and you removed all the tags without leaving one or adding a new one it is not a good result.

@jefito, Thanks for the info on case!  I understand that now.  As for my comment on "namespacing,"

On 9/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, jefito said:

I don't know what you mean by "namespace" here. Or what "source: Title_of_a_Book" means either. I know that "source"" is a valid search term in Evernote, but from the context, it doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.

A namespace would be a tag prefix for tag grouping.  For instance, 

On 9/16/2019 at 2:39 PM, DTLow said:

I can see using a tag  "Book - <title>"

Would work.  All of the cited books would group in the tag system as "Book - *" or "Book:*"  I did not know that "source" was a valid search term.  What's rattling around in my mind are APA style "sources."  Sorry, and thanks for the help, all!

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, falenn said:

A namespace would be a tag prefix for tag grouping.  For instance, 

AH, OK. I don't do that sort of thing myself. I think I'd wind up making way too many separate tags. Just doesn't seem worth the bother. I don't use tags as a navigation system, though I understand that people do. I have a "Book" tag, sure, but I'd use other means, like a text search, to do the other thing.

But for the tag case thing, you're welcome!