Remember view settings for All Notes view

My preferred "All Notes" view option is Side List.

However each time I restart PC and fire up Evernote it starts in Snippet View. I have to switch to Side List and re-do my preferred column layout each time. Only happens when PC restarts (no issue closing/reopening Evernote without PC restart).

I know how to Remember View Settings for individual Notebooks - how do you do it for All Notes?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Charliesjsj38373 said:

My preferred "All Notes" view option is Side List.

However each time I restart PC and fire up Evernote it starts in Snippet View. I have to switch to Side List and re-do my preferred column layout each time. Only happens when PC restarts (no issue closing/reopening Evernote without PC restart).

I know how to Remember View Settings for individual Notebooks - how do you do it for All Notes?

Set the view the way you want -Side List, whichever notebook or All Notes, and whatever sort - and then do a File - Exit.  This should set your opening view to those settings.  Don't hit the X to close, specifically use File - Exit.  

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Set the view the way you want -Side List, whichever notebook or All Notes, and whatever sort - and then do a File - Exit.  This should set your opening view to those settings.  Don't hit the X to close, specifically use File - Exit.  

Well, that ought to work, but in my experience doing it  in "all notes" won't work.    EN will only remember the last saved sort in current use (in tag, notebook or saved search) right before File/Exit.  See also the following discussion:

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Well, that ought to work, but in my experience doing that in "all notes" won't work.    EN will only remember the last saved sort in current use (that is, not in "all notes") right before File/Exit.  See also the following discussion:

Interesting.  Seems to work for me when I tested.  Went to All Notes, sorted by tag, File - Exit, started up and opened in All Notes sorted by tag.  Tried it again sorted by title this time and still works.  Different version?  6.20.2 here.  

38 minutes ago, CalS said:

Interesting.  Seems to work for me when I tested.  Went to All Notes, sorted by tag, File - Exit, started up and opened in All Notes sorted by tag.  Tried it again sorted by title this time and still works.  Different version?  6.20.2 here.  

Maybe  gremlins, I don't know anymore.  What you mention actually worked just now, but I have literally spent the last year dealing with being stuck in tag sort or created sort, no matter how much File/Exit I did to preserve my Updated sort, until I tried what I mentioned above, literally this week. 

I had manually forced one view type on literally everything, even when I needed to save another, because of this issue, it would last for a little while, then revert again.

I don't think version 6.21 beta 1 should make any difference.

Maybe we need Windows support to explain why is the sort order lost so easily.  Personally I suspect a data issue in some cases at least.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Maybe  gremlins, I don't know anymore.  What you mention actually worked just now, but I have literally spent the last year dealing with being stuck in tag sort or created sort, no matter how much File/Exit I did to preserve my Updated sort, until I tried what I mentioned above, literally this week. 

I had manually forced one view type on literally everything, even when I needed to save another, because of this issue, it would last for a little while, then revert again.

I don't think version 6.21 beta 1 should make any difference.

Maybe we need Windows support to explain why is the sort order lost so easily.  Personally I suspect a data issue in some cases at least.

Yeah, got me.  Best I can remember set the view and File - Exit has always froze the open view for me.  At least if context is All Notes or a notebook.  Returns to the note that was open at close.  Does not work if the results of a search are the context.

• Level 5*

Never did it that way, always click on notebook and set sort before File - Exit.  No biggie since I don't really change my start view.  It's been my INBOX notebook in Side List view, with Sync - Created - Title - Tags - Location as columns forever.  Well it used to be Notebook versus Location.  Only do it when I have done a File - Exit not in INBOX.

Didn't do any extensive testing but it looks like I get some spurious results if I use a saved search or an ad hoc search.  Not really worth it to me to track down, but sometimes the sort sticks and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm guessing this is what you are seeing? 

I'm going to stick with the KISS method - pick context, set view, File - Exit.  Time for an adult libation.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, CalS said:

Didn't do any extensive testing but it looks like I get some spurious results if I use a saved search or an ad hoc search.  Not really worth it to me to track down, but sometimes the sort sticks and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm guessing this is what you are seeing? 

Thanks for confirming I am not insane.  I used to saved multiple sorts for saved searches, tags & notebooks, stopped doing it because of this problem, I managed to reduced it by keeping one sort on everything, but it was not eliminated. entirely. 

The method I mentioned above which I started using recently gives me a sense of sanity, even if imaginary. I may start using multiple sorts again to see if I can control it better now.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks for confirming I am not insane.  I used to saved multiple sorts for saved searches, tags & notebooks, stopped doing it because of this problem, I managed to reduced it by keeping one sort on everything, but it was not eliminated. entirely. 

The method I mentioned above which I started using recently gives me a sense of sanity, even if imaginary. I may start using multiple sorts again to see if I can control it better now.

I use saved views with saved searches extensively, no problems.  Whenever I File - Exit EN I try to be in INBOX so I always open to the same context. 

4 minutes ago, CalS said:

Whenever I File - Exit EN I try to be in INBOX so I always open to the same context. 

You mean working on a note in the Inbox  while showing 'all notes', or being in a Inbox view?  If the latter, that sounds similar to what I mentioned before (with an Inbox saved sort).

Since I drastically reduced the number of notebooks, I don't spend as much time in notebook view anymore.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

You mean working on a note in the Inbox  while showing 'all notes', or being in a Inbox view?  If the latter, that sounds similar to what I mentioned before (with an Inbox saved sort).

Since I drastically reduced the number of notebooks, I don't spend as much time in notebook view anymore.

Being in INBOX notebook context.  I have INBOX and Scans notebooks in the shortcut bar.  So click on INBOX and then File - Exit is my standard.  I like to enter EN in INBOX in case I have forwarded anything.  I’m down to 5 notebooks plus INBOX and Scans   Could be 2, Synced and Local, but that makes retrieving a DAA note delete from backup longer than it needs to be.

My searches are saved or in the shortcut bar or start in All Notes (either click the icon or I have a keyboard hotkey I created) with the tag search shortcut or Ctrl+Q.  The latter two depend on what I am looking for and if I think I will need to refine the search.  Not that big a deal in my case, just click on INBOX if I exited EN in the wrong view.  I rarely change the view in All Notes and if I do I change it right back.  FWIW.