iOS 13 and iOS 13.1 are not compatible with penultimate

While we are talking about a beta OS. iPadOS 13 on the last public beta is very close to the GM.  Penultimate is incompatible with the input changes for both versions and needs a version update to support. When can we expect to see a new revision built which includes the new pen input API put in place so the Apple Pencil works with the app again?

evernote is not really an acceptable substitute for penultimate, even after all this time. 

could someone with premium issue a ticket about this issue?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From my point of view Penultimate is not up to the job of handwritten note taking. It lacks nearly everything a good note taking app will provide. It still lives in the world of the old fashioned stylus that does not reflect the abilities of todays pencils. I tried it a while ago, and quit very fast. The handwritten notes are simply dead, not really searchable, bad hand-eye-coordination, lack of tools etc.

Consequently I would not regard it as a loss if the option of direct handwritten input would cease to exist with iOS 13.

On my iPad Pro I am using GoodNotes 5, that has more functions added only within the last couple of month than Penultimate might get one day (if anybody decides to put development hours into it). The latest extension was a very nice presentation mode, that switches the iPad into a flexible white board for meetings, education or trainings.

Another good option seems to be Notability, with an option to sync the handwriting directly into EN. 

• Like 1

Just upgraded to iOS 13.1 on my iPad Air 3rd gen with an Apple Pencil 1. Penultimate does not work, i.e., you cannot write in the app as the paper keeps moving. 😡

>>> DO NOT UPGRADE TO IOS 13.1 UNTIL EVERNOTE GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER

This is pathetic Evernote!

On 9/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, PinkElephant said:

From my point of view Penultimate is not up to the job of handwritten note taking. It lacks nearly everything a good note taking app will provide. It still lives in the world of the old fashioned stylus that does not reflect the abilities of todays pencils. I tried it a while ago, and quit very fast. The handwritten notes are simply dead, not really searchable, bad hand-eye-coordination, lack of tools etc.

Consequently I would not regard it as a loss if the option of direct handwritten input would cease to exist with iOS 13.

On my iPad Pro I am using GoodNotes 5, that has more functions added only within the last couple of month than Penultimate might get one day (if anybody decides to put development hours into it). The latest extension was a very nice presentation mode, that switches the iPad into a flexible white board for meetings, education or trainings.

Another good option seems to be Notability, with an option to sync the handwriting directly into EN. 

Notability does not sync with EN.

Since I updated to IOS13 am having issues with Penultimate, I cannot write properly anymore - short scratch and then the screen starts moving. Very unprofessional. Am using Evernote already for 8 years and do not like it, but believe I have to switch to a competitor now!!

• Level 5

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, and are working to address it as quickly as we can.

As @DTLow linked to, please see the recent update post for the most current information regarding this issue.

That being said, I will follow-up here once I have more information.

• Ex Employees

I'm sorry that we were not able to get a fixed/compatible version of Penultimate fixed prior to the GM release of iPadOS.  The process for us to fix the iPadOS incompatibilities proved trickier than it should have been.

A new release of Penultimate that is compatible with iPadOS was submitted into the App Store review process a few hours ago.  As some of you may know, the review process for App Store submissions can be a bit of a black box, both in terms of how long it takes and whether a submission will get through successfully.  But I thought it was appropriate to let you know that (fingers crossed) we are making progress towards rectifying the problem.

We will, of course, post again once an updated version of Penultimate is in the store.

ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@Ian Small Hello Ian, thanks for the information about penultimate. I believe it is better to release when ready instead of when forced to.

Personally I do not think that Penultimate is up to any serious handwriting job. I am using GoodNotes 5 - they released in February 2019 with a redesigned core program lacking a lot of functions from GN4, but communicated this and gave the option to use both in parallel. They are moving out new features since. Of course, they are single platform iOS and rely on iCloud for the server side, which makes things easier to code, release and operate.

Just a couple of days ago, they included the new presentation mode into GN5 - it works like a charm. This will ring a few bells with EN users from the old days, when there was a presentation mode in the EN mobile platforms as well.

My dream team would be EN for the heavy data lifting plus GN5 with an option to file the handwritten notes directly into an EN note. It should be native GN file format, to be reopened and edited whenever needed. Having a viewer in EN would be enough.

Today I need to export GN5 into a static pdf file (fully searchable even in the handwriting), and share this into EN. Once frozen, I can not reopen and edit the original file in EN, only use the tools for pdf editing. It is sort of a workflow, but unidirectional.

• 1 month later...