[New Web Beta] Clicking on Notebook within a note doesn't let user change notebook

• Level 5*

Correct. The intent seems to be to have this be a shortcut to "going to" that notebook, i.e., filtering the note display to notes in that notebook. To move a note to a different notebook, you click on the "..." menu at the upper right, and select "Move to..."

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Correct. The intent seems to be to have this be a shortcut to "going to" that notebook, i.e., filtering the note display to notes in that notebook. To move a note to a different notebook, you click on the "..." menu at the upper right, and select "Move to..."

That's a counter intuitive UI decision. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kruger2147 said:

That's a counter intuitive UI decision. 

I doubt that actual intuition comes into play here (most of what is called "intuitive" is actually learned behavior, and there's not a lot of similar UI that's out there to have learned from), but I think that a better choice might be to do something similar to what they do with tags: make the button have a dropdown that leads to menu items that let you: 1.:Filter by notebook, and 2. Move the note to a different notebook,

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, jefito said:

I doubt that actual intuition comes into play here (most of what is called "intuitive" is actually learned behavior, and there's not a lot of similar UI that's out there to have learned from), but I think that a better choice might be to do something similar to what they do with tags: make the button have a dropdown that leads to menu items that let you: 1.:Filter by notebook, and 2. Move the note to a different notebook,

Like it used to work, more or less, if memory serves me right.  This and moving tags to the bottom are a couple of the more inane design decisions in the beta apps, IMO anyway. 

4 hours ago, CalS said:

Like it used to work, more or less, if memory serves me right.  This and moving tags to the bottom are a couple of the more inane design decisions in the beta apps, IMO anyway. 

Agreed. Having Notebooks, Tags and writing tools all at the top made it efficient to create and manipulate notes. The new design creates more distance and more clicks, bad UI/UX, IMO. 

Agreed.
I would like to see some of the selections that some of the other note taking apps seem to have now. Where they hit a key combination (such as com + /) or a button that gives you a drop down of all of your options instead of click here, then there, then.....
At the very least I agree having it the old way where the items were at the top.

Don't find it that helpful clicking on the Notebook just to take me to the Notebook I'm already in (instead of moving to the desired Notebook). If a quick link to the Notebook were desired I would rather see a breadcrumb trail for it & have the Notebook as a method of moving it to another Notebook.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

Don't find it that helpful clicking on the Notebook just to take me to the Notebook I'm already in (instead of moving to the desired Notebook).

The scenario is if you do a search for notes using some other criterion than notebook (e.g., literal text, tag, reminder, MIME content), then this gives you a quick way to get to the notebook that the note is contained in.  I've found that to be useful on occasion.

10 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

If a quick link to the Notebook were desired I would rather see a breadcrumb trail for it & have the Notebook as a method of moving it to another Notebook.

Not sure what a "breadcrumb trail" is. Are you referring to the history functionality implemented in e.g. Evernote for Windows where you can go back and forth through your Evernote navigations using Alt+Left and Alt+Right keys, much like page history in a web browser?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, jefito said:

Not sure what a "breadcrumb trail" is. Are you referring to the history functionality implemented in e.g. Evernote for Windows where you can go back and forth through your Evernote navigations using Alt+Left and Alt+Right keys, much like page history in a web browser?

I am not quite sure what you are referring to in regards to navigating with the Alt + arrow keys as I am on a Mac & not windows. You have my interest, though, so I would like a little more detail on what you are referring to.

Yes, a breadcrumb trail would be much like the history in a web browser. I have attached a screenshot as a sample, too, in order to help clarify what I am referring to. By having a breadcrumb trail it would be easy to have quick access to the "home" notebook or any of the nested items. 

Personally, I would like to have quick access to moving my note into a different notebook (such as the classic editor) from the note editor without having to click several tabs to access it. At the moment (Beta Web) you have to now click the setting button (3 dots top RH corner), click the "move to notebook" option then choose the desired notebook. These extra steps will make it counter-productive as it will require extra steps to simply move my note.

I am hoping, at the very least, the hotkey shortcut for moving the note into a notebook will still exist but I can't verify that since I cannot find any hotkeys for the Web Evernote & cannot test it since I don't have access to the Mac Beta Editor.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 10.57.28 AM.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

I am not quite sure what you are referring to in regards to navigating with the Alt + arrow keys as I am on a Mac & not windows. You have my interest, though, so I would like a little more detail on what you are referring to.

Since I'm a Windows user, I'll invoke @DTLow, who is very familiar with the Mac application and maybe he knows. It's a pretty handy feature and I'd like to have it on other platforms (Web and Android are the other two I use). In Windows, there are also toolbar buttons available that you can long-press to get a menu of previous and next locations, again, a lot like a web browser, or Chrome anyway. These "History" buttons generally take into account search context, not just note navigation, again, pretty handy, though sometimes confusing.

Not sure what "Home" is: for Evernote, I suppose it would be either "All Notes" or your default notebook or the notebook you were in the last time you were in Evernote?

Personally, I would like to have quick access to moving my note into a different notebook (such as the classic editor) from the note editor without having to click several tabs to access it. At the moment (Beta Web) you have to now click the setting button (3 dots top RH corner), click the "move to notebook" option then choose the desired notebook. These extra steps will make it counter-productive as it will require extra steps to simply move my note.

Again, I recommended something like the Windows implementation, which gives you both options: a dropdown notebook list to move the note to if you click on the button, but provides for the ability to filter to that notebook if you click on the triangle icon to the right of the notebook button (the triangle icon works in the same way for tags, except it toggles the tag on/off in the current search filter). Both functions are useful.

image.png.379f95097ac3a304492e133133c2904b.png

I am hoping, at the very least, the hotkey shortcut for moving the note into a notebook will still exist but I can't verify that since I cannot find any hotkeys for the Web Evernote & cannot test it since I don't have access to the Mac Beta Editor.

Evernote web is pretty hotkey poor, though there are some editing functions. Hopefully that will improve over time.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

In Windows, there are also toolbar buttons available that you can long-press to get a menu of previous and next locations, again, a lot like a web browser, or Chrome anyway. These "History" buttons generally take into account search context, not just note navigation, again, pretty handy, though sometimes confusing.

That does sound like it would be a handy feature. Which keys are you hard pressing? Is this on a laptop/ desktop or is this a mobile device? I know what you mean with hard pressing on web sites with mobile devices but have not really seen much  in that regard on laptops. It would be a good feature, though, from the sounds of what I am visualizing. Do you by chance have a screenshot? Trying to duplicate it on my Mac & want to make sure I don't have that feature

4 hours ago, jefito said:

Not sure what "Home" is: for Evernote, I suppose it would be either "All Notes" or your default notebook or the notebook you were in the last time you were in Evernote?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, jefito said:

this gives you a quick way to get to the notebook that the note is contained in

The Home I am referring to was in the context of using a "breadcrumb trail" to quickly get to the Notebook that the Note is contained in. So in the example of the breadcrumb trail, if you had applied searches (or whatever scenario you might want to think of) & wanted to quickly get to your Notebook, the Home could be the first item listed in the breadcrumb. There are many possibilities. I know this is sounding confusing through text so I have attached a pic to hopefully clear things up a little bit.

Again, I recommended something like the Windows implementation, which gives you both options: a dropdown notebook list to move the note to if you click on the button, but provides for the ability to filter to that notebook if you click on the triangle icon to the right of the notebook button (the triangle icon works in the same way for tags, except it toggles the tag on/off in the current search filter). Both functions are useful.

Agreed. We have very close set up to that as well. Both work just fine. My main thing is that I would want the "move to notebook" option (whatever method that might be) to be on the main screen of the Note Editor for easy accessibility.

Evernote web is pretty hotkey poor, though there are some editing functions. Hopefully that will improve over time

True. I find the web version very limited indeed. It would be nice to think it would improve over time, but that has been requested for a while so who knows

image.png

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

That does sound like it would be a handy feature. Which keys are you hard pressing? Is this on a laptop/ desktop or is this a mobile device?

In the Evernote for Windows application, a long press on the '<' or '>' tools in the toolbar (you may have to add it if it's not showing):

image.png.eec8848d07714af62d7de7ca32c67fb8.png

15 hours ago, badjer.phoenix said:

The Home I am referring to was in the context of using a "breadcrumb trail" to quickly get to the Notebook that the Note is contained in.

Well, you don't need a breadcrumb trail if you can just go to the displayed notebook easily. Which you can in the web and Windows version. Android, which I also use, not s much, as far as I can tell.

• 10 months later...

I love the way this has been done now, with a little "Move note" icon when you hover over the notebook title. Having the "breadcrumb" behavior on clicking the actual notebook title is nice and I'm relying on it more now it's there. But I do often need to move notes quickly as well, so this is helpful:

image.png.dc44738487f65ed010251a1d4d213981.png

I haven't tried it on Safari on the iPad yet – suspect the hover behavior will only show up with a mouse/trackpad unless it's possible to just tap the area where the icon would be.

• Thanks 1