Only show reminders when they're due

Kruger2147

Idea

I use EN primarily for personal and school, and a little for work. Currently when a note as a reminder is shows at the top of the client, even if it isn't due yet. It would be nice if reminders only showed when the reminder was due.

For example, all of my classes have their assignment due dates and descriptions posted on my student portal. I'd like to be able to make notes with the title and description of each assignment at the beginning of the semester, and assign a Reminder a couple of days before the assignment is due. That way, when an assignment is coming up, it notifies me, and the reminder pins it to the top of my notes list. I can jump in and do my homework.

For personal stuff, I save documents and registrations to EN. For example, when I get my auto insurance policy, I save it to EN. I'd like to be able attach a reminder for 6 months down the road when it renews so I can call my insurance company and negotiate again. Or for vet appointments, I can remind myself what shots/examinations my dog has or needs.

Sometimes I take pictures of quotes for customers for callbacks. It would be nice if I could take a picture, set a reminder and have it stay out of my way until  the time/day I need to call the customer back.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kruger2147 said:

It would be nice if reminders only showed when the reminder was due.

I use saved searches.  My current task list is generated by

reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

(All reminders, Exclude future dates, Exclude completed)

>>Currently when a note as a reminder is shows at the top of the client...and the reminder pins it to the top of my notes list

That's a Windows thing; a reminder section at the top of the note list

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@DTLow's task filter is spot on. You can make such a saved search a shortcut, even, available in  the left panel or on a toolbar. Reference for the search terms, including the reminder terms is here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

Windows stuff: I find the separate reminders list to be pretty handy, but it only sows in certain views (e.g. snippet view); it would be nice if it could be shown in all views. It would also be nice if you could disable it altogether, but you can close it so that it takes up a much smaller space in the view..

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I use saved searches.  My current task list is generated by

reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

(All reminders, Exclude future dates, Exclude completed)

I'll use this for now, but most user's aren't going to want to have to manage their reminders. This also doesn't work for the Android Widget, I use to quickly glance at my task list.

• Level 5*
On 9/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, jefito said:

Windows stuff: I find the separate reminders list to be pretty handy, but it only sows in certain views (e.g. snippet view); it would be nice if it could be shown in all views. It would also be nice if you could disable it altogether, but you can close it so that it takes up a much smaller space in the view..

All of my saved reminder searches use a saved view which is side list view sorted by reminder time.  These became so much more useful years back when EN introduced the save view functionality.  Plus I precede my saved reminder searches with an ! so that they are at the top of the drop down for saved searches with left panel closed.  Makes it fairly easy to navigate different task views, on the PC anyway.  It kind of works on IOS, saved searches are right below recent searches, but you cant set the sort sequence to reminder time there.