Table Functionality

I'm very disappointed in evernotes table/spreadsheet functionality, which does not need to be very robust.  Basically evernote should have a note type that is table, like it does for general notes, events, reminders.  There should be native functionality that knows the first row is a header and not have to manually adjust colors and formatting just to appear as the field names.  It would also be nice to manipulate the data types of each field like you can in google sheets (dates, numbers, strings).  

Is the evernote team working on this?  I've seen requests for this in the past all the way back to 2012, but the best I could find was other people here trying to make the requester use google sheets instead.  Which is an interesting business practice, drive customers to the competition...

To follow up...maybe I'm alone, but I don't think people are looking for a table creator that makes everything pretty and presentable.  I'm looking for secure storage of my data.  I have vinyl records, housing lists, cooking and recipe information...all stuff that is most easily stored in table format and I just need the raw data to be stored.  This is a pain in evernote.  

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dpalkovic said:

Is the evernote team working on this?

Hi.  Evernote are working on a(nother) updated editor for their applications across all operating systems,  and table upgrades are probably on a list somewhere - but the company tends not to share intentions or release dates,  so if this feature is important to you,  you're stuck for the moment with work-arounds or using a different app. 

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, dpalkovic said:

Basically evernote should have a note type that is table

Tables and reminders are one of many elements in the note contents.  They are not note types

>>It would also be nice to manipulate the data types of each field like you can in google sheets (dates, numbers, strings). 

My solution is to include spreadsheets as file attachments

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, dpalkovic said:

Basically evernote should have a note type that is table, like it does for general notes, events, reminders. 

There's really no separate note types. For example, a reminders is not a separate note type: it's just a note with reminder data (reminder time, reminder done time, reminder order). If you want a table note, the easiest thing to do would be to create a note with a table that you can use as a template.

Beyond that, sure it would be nice if there were more advanced table functionality (and hopefully you've added your vote to the relevant existing request(s)). Not sure whether they're working on anything like that, though, and they are generally chary of giving out specifics in upcoming roadmaps.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:48 PM, jefito said:

There's really no separate note types.

Well... :lol:

Ink notes are... And other apps can create different "types" like the old Food app, imported Business Cards, etc. (The video, audio, and screen shot notes are really just regular notes)

But, in general, you're correct...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dcon said:

Well... :lol:

Ink notes are... And other apps can create different "types" like the old Food app, imported Business Cards, etc. (The video, audio, and screen shot notes are really just regular notes)

But, in general, you're correct...

Busted.  😳

Yeah, I later recalled the old business card notes, and went back to consult the API and read about the "contentClass" attribute, which I believe can be used to create different note types, just didn't get back to amend my post. Even so, I figure that tables are pretty easy to add to an Evernote, so didn't think it'd require a special note type for that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 9/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, dcon said:

Ink notes are... (note types)

Since you brought it up, can you explain how ink notes are stored in Evernote?

I understand the underlying enml/html code, but that's text based

I believe this is a Evernote/Windows feature.  I use a Mac/iPad; we can use "ink", but it's stored as a file attachment stored within the note contents

On 10/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, DTLow said:

Since you brought it up, can you explain how ink notes are stored in Evernote?

I understand the underlying enml/html code, but that's text based

I believe this is a Evernote/Windows feature.  I use a Mac/iPad; we can use "ink", but it's stored as a file attachment stored within the note contents

I don't remember for certain (I'd have to dump out the enml and look), but I think the ink data is also stored as an attachment. Either that, or just a binary-cdata section in the html... (That code all existed before I started there and I never worked on it - except to port the actual inkedit dll from Visual Studio 2005 to VS2010 (I think that was the port...) - I just remember the new compiler triggered some compile errors in the code due to C++11 changes - but that didn't require any knowledge of how we used the control within the editor)

Archived