Webclipper and Safari 13 ?

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

While this issue is a PITA it's easily overcome by just using another browser. I'm pretty sure most of the people complaining here already have another browser installed given how many organisations can't seem to write code that works with Safari anyway. It's not exactly the best browser in town, IMO.

With that said. I expect a good portion of the rage here is tied up with this being yet another example of the type or inexcusable BS that Evernote users are constantly having to endure ... just another straw breaking the camel's back after it's already been broken countless times before. How many workarounds should Evernote users have to implement for a product that many of us are paying a fairly decent subscription price for? .... NOT THIS MANY. 

It's really hard to imagine any legitimate excuse that two long established organisations like Apple and Evernote can't get their act together to prevent this type of stuff. It's not like this is the first upgrade to a browser. I simply do not buy the App Store is a "black box" line. If that is the case, then get on the job sooner and build some contingency into the timeline - It's called Project Management 101. I am now wondering what Evernote surprises are lurking in MacOS Catalina for me.

@Ian Small you've been at Evernote now coming on a year I think. I can see that you are genuinely trying to get the house in order there and I really appreciate your approach of being much more open with us than your predecessors who were, frankly, MIA when issues like this occurred .... As far as challenges go, you have taken on a biggie ... I really hope this type of stuff ends soon ... and I really hope that much talked about major upgrade to Evernote is also not far away because I think the wagons are circling judging by the angst in this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.  There are several apps that I use, such as Hazel, that have had problems adapting to the new read only OS folders, it's not just Evernote that was caught by surprise by Apple's lack of transparency on the release date. I'm sure that there are other problems. My last employer did several mobile app launches. Google was pretty easy to work with, but working with Apple to an app out the door, was difficult. And when the test group reported bugs, it was difficult to push out bug fixes to iOS device as well. 

I'm waiting for vendors to get their applications updated and also for Apple to do a few point releases before I upgrade to Catalina. 

Something that would be nice is for Evernote to make the Safari 12 version available for people line me who rolled back Safari 13 to Safari 12 and would like to re-install the Web-clipper extension. Unfortunately, I didn't save the installer so now I am stuck  

Edited by TheGooch
clarity and additional info

I find it both surprising and disappointing that Evernote would allow the Safari Web clipper to simply fall off a cliff.  I purchased the software specifically for this function, and for it to be discontinued with no warning nor explanation is pathetic.

I have no confidence in a company which treats it's customers with such disregard and will be cancelling my subscription when it comes due for renewal.

Evernote is not a 'cheap' programme, but it obviously hasn't invested the monies it has received in staff to provide a timely update when necessary.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, muhadi said:

How one can get a hold of your script, seems perfect.

It's off topic for this topic, so best to start a new discussion

I'm willing to help with the script development; my post included the commands for creating a note

I posted scripting documentation at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112316-scripting-on-a-mac-applescript/

• Like 2
On 10/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, jakeokane said:

I find it both surprising and disappointing that Evernote would allow the Safari Web clipper to simply fall off a cliff.  I purchased the software specifically for this function, and for it to be discontinued with no warning nor explanation is pathetic.

Yes, it is extremely worrisome. The CEO Ian Small is obviously a nice man, but I have always viewed their claims of "fixing the basics" with suspicion since the evidence is scant.

The fact that they had a year to fix the Web Clipper extension instead of waiting until the last minute speaks volumes. Other longtime outstanding bugs (such as the Spotlight Importer crashes in Evernote for MacOS, not seen as a priority according to tech support) remain unfixed as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Who believed that pruning an outgrown software ecosystem back to its roots and core would be done in a matter of weeks or months underestimates the task at hand. You can not simply do a fresh design from zero, because the world keeps turning, new OS releases keep appearing, users want to get their stuff fixed etc.

So we can believe one of two options:

1) Ian and the pack are sitting there in EN country, counting the bucks rolling in and laughing out loud that these users still stick to the sinking boat, or

2) the team is sincerely working on keeping us happy AND redesigning big parts of the code Basis at the same time

If you are up for Option 1, I honestly think you should prepare to leave the party, and go searching for greener pastures.

If you are (like I am) for option 2, I think it is self inflicted injury to continue with „mimimi“ about the fact that for a couple of days there is no web clipper on one of the several browsers available for MacOS. I have invested my energy instead to get web clipper for Firefox, and am happy clipping and Evernoting ever since. Took me less time to get it up and running than typing this post.

• Like 1

That's very admirable, but, I paid for web clipper function as advertised, namely on Safari.  If this were a professional outfit they would:

1. Have given long standing, loyal users that the service was about to be withdrawn.

2. Given a definite time frame for when the service would be re instated.

3. NEVER had allowed it to happen in the first place.

Evernote is toast!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Who believed that pruning an outgrown software ecosystem back to its roots and core would be done in a matter of weeks or months underestimates the task at hand. You can not simply do a fresh design from zero, because the world keeps turning, new OS releases keep appearing, users want to get their stuff fixed etc.

So we can believe one of two options:

1) Ian and the pack are sitting there in EN country, counting the bucks rolling in and laughing out loud that these users still stick to the sinking boat, or

2) the team is sincerely working on keeping us happy AND redesigning big parts of the code Basis at the same time

If you are up for Option 1, I honestly think you should prepare to leave the party, and go searching for greener pastures.

If you are (like I am) for option 2, I think it is self inflicted injury to continue with „mimimi“ about the fact that for a couple of days there is no web clipper on one of the several browsers available for MacOS. I have invested my energy instead to get web clipper for Firefox, and am happy clipping and Evernoting ever since. Took me less time to get it up and running than typing this post.

There's an apologist in every crowd. There aren't just two options. 

But yes, given the state of the Evernote clients (lack of significant new features, inability or unwillingness to fix longstanding bugs which are not easy to report given the incompetence of the "Evernote Help and Learning" team), preparing to leave the party seems wise.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Between black and white there is a sea of grey, so go ahead.

Regarding the tone of the discussion, I think there is created a lot of fuss about a very minor aspect. First I do not know any advertisement that promises „Webclipper for each and every browser, yet invented or not, possible or impossible, etc.“.

There are several (!) workarounds to continue clipping and filing, at least Chrome (and it’s derivates) plus Firefox with Webclipper. And there is a continuous communication from the company to the users about what they do, how far they are and what is the next step. No need to apologize, for what ? They even did this, several times, from the CEO for those to read who care.

And then there is a fact that does work for everybody who wants to leave: EN makes it easy to export ones data, and others make it easy to import them. It will not be 1:1, but close enough. So if one wants to move where there is no web clipper, not at all, it is a) possible and b) makes no sense to complain here and announce to go somewhere else, where the desired feature is entirely missing.

So I think we can agree that nobody has to apologize to stay, nobody has to apologize to leave, and everybody is allowed to have his own opinion, stand for it and take a lively discussion when different positions clash. Have fun !

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Regarding the tone of the discussion, I think there is created a lot of fuss about a very minor aspect. First I do not know any advertisement that promises „Webclipper for each and every browser, yet invented or not, possible or impossible, etc.“.

For crying out loud, we're not talking about Opera, we're talking about there being no web clipper extension for the current version of the default web browser for the Mac OS platform!

• Level 5*
On 10/11/2019 at 12:42 AM, Rabbit704 said:

While this issue is a PITA it's easily overcome by just using another browser. I'm pretty sure most of the people complaining here already have another browser installed ...

Not me - I've only used the default Safari browser

I could easily install a different browser, however the web clipper feature isn't that important for my use

• I avoid merging my own notes with the web page content
  • The Evernote editor has issues with the complex code behind some web pages
28 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The Evernote editor has issues with the complex code behind some web pages

All web clippers have this problem -- that's precisely because web content is so unpredictable.

Evernote's great strength (IMHO) is the ease with which one can store information in it. In most other respects, it is lacking (in search, in organization …) But I digress.

By the way, the fact that the resubmitted web clipper hasn't yet been approved suggests that it has been rejected as well.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Evernote's great strength (IMHO) is the ease with which one can store information in it.

Agreed; it's my digital filing cabinet for all my notes/documents

>>In most other respects, it is lacking (in search, in organization …)

Disagree.  Another great strength (IMHO) is Evernote's storage and organization of data.  The search feature is extensive

• Ex Employees

Hi Everyone -

Following up on on my post from Thursday night...

We snuck in another build/review cycle over the weekend when our QA team, who have been continuing to validate our candidate releases over the past days, found a bug that merited our holding the release.  As of this moment, Apple has approved that most recent build and we have released it to the App Store.  As you may know, it takes a while for builds released to the App Store to propagate through to global availability, so we anticipate that it will be visible to all of you by Tuesday morning, likely at this URL:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evernote-web-clipper/id1481669779?ls=1&mt=12

If you are a Safari web clipper user, our marketing and customer support teams will attempt to reach you directly to inform you of the release.  And there will be follow up communications tomorrow detailing the complete list of the features in (and not yet in) this first, reduced-functionality release of our Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper.

I apologize again for our taking this long to get to this first release.  We will be continuing to push on our end, working to fill in the remaining gaps and fix any bugs we discover until we once again have a full implementation of the Web Clipper in Safari.  More info on those subsequent releases to follow in this channel when we have something useful to say.

ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Ian Small said:

As you may know, it takes a while for builds released to the App Store to propagate through to global availability, so we anticipate that it will be visible to all of you by Tuesday morning, likely at this URL:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evernote-web-clipper/id1481669779?ls=1&mt=12

I was able to download the clipper at the link you posted just now (Arizona, US) so it should be live for everyone in the US market.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ian Small said:

Hi Everyone -

Following up on on my post from Thursday night...

We snuck in another build/review cycle over the weekend when our QA team, who have been continuing to validate our candidate releases over the past days, found a bug that merited our holding the release.  As of this moment, Apple has approved that most recent build and we have released it to the App Store.  As you may know, it takes a while for builds released to the App Store to propagate through to global availability, so we anticipate that it will be visible to all of you by Tuesday morning, likely at this URL:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/evernote-web-clipper/id1481669779?ls=1&mt=12

If you are a Safari web clipper user, our marketing and customer support teams will attempt to reach you directly to inform you of the release.  And there will be follow up communications tomorrow detailing the complete list of the features in (and not yet in) this first, reduced-functionality release of our Safari 13-compatible Web Clipper.

I apologize again for our taking this long to get to this first release.  We will be continuing to push on our end, working to fill in the remaining gaps and fix any bugs we discover until we once again have a full implementation of the Web Clipper in Safari.  More info on those subsequent releases to follow in this channel when we have something useful to say.

ian

Thank you for apologising instead of giving excuses or blaming someone or something else. 

The mark of a CEO is taking ownership of problems and tackling them head on while at the same time maintaining communication with loyal customers, so that they are not left in the dark, particularly when it involves a key product that is vital to your business. Also I hope workflows will be looked into to avoid a repeat of this occurrence.

Thank you once again.

21 hours ago, Matt Eastwood said:

Is there a way to download Web Clipper for Safari without the App Store? I was able to download it previously via Evernote. Unfortunately, my company blocks access to the App Store. Thanks.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think the App Store is the way you have to go for extensions now. I tried a couple other sites that I know have extensions that were available on their websites, but every link I click takes me back to the App Store.

3 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think the App Store is the way you have to go for extensions now. I tried a couple other sites that I know have extensions that were available on their websites, but every link I click takes me back to the App Store.

That's right. All Safari Extensions are distributed by the App Store.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

Hi all -

I just realized we did not follow up in this channel as I had committed earlier about the most recent Safari Web Clipper release, although it's probably hard to miss with the big banner at the top of the screen.

Nonetheless, here is the relevant announcement:

A continuing thank you for your patience
ian

• Like 1