#FWIW: LifeHacker readers vote Evernote #1 note taking application

• Level 5*

I consider Evernote #1 for note/document storage and organization

I use the Evernote editor for basic notes.  For note-taking, I use the Notability app on an iPad

I'm aware the Evernote base format is enml/html which is a plus, but imposes limitations

It’s good for scaling a large amount of notes, number one at that definitely. The problem for me is retrieval and working within notes. Can’t stand how 30 seconds away from the Evernote iOS app refreshes it, so I lose where I was meandering. Imagine being zapped back to the start of a long walk whenever you paused to inspect something interesting? 

• Level 5*
On 9/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, bounce said:

30 seconds away from the Evernote iOS app refreshes it

Have you tried split screen; avoids the "away from Evernote"

>>Imagine being zapped back to the start of a long walk

I used to walk to work every day; I always had to start at the beginning; no problem stopping to inspect things

Bottom line, your vote is not #1 note taking app?

>>Nice try twisting my words.

My intent was to get you back to the subject of the #1 note-taking app

It's not "list the issues with Evernote"

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Have you tried split screen; avoids the "away from Evernote"

>>Imagine being zapped back to the start of a long walk

I do the same walk every day; I always have to start at the beginning; no problem stopping to inspect things

Of course, every possible orientation. On the iPad, copying from any app to Evernote I often get weird zoomed out note issues (among a handful of others like cursor carrot bounces in editor) when copying to a note split-screen. Split screen isn’t possible with an iPhone. 

I partly use EN for things that require creativity. I’m not looking to retread the same ground every day, sometimes life calls for serendipity and novelty, especially when dealing with a large amount of information.

Nice try twisting my words. Note “taking” yes I do believe it is. It works great to email notes into, the clipper on many platforms is top notch, I use Siri voice shortcuts to notes all the time. 
Going into notes and actually using them, like doing a basic bit of formatting can be trying. Working with/pasting something into a note you’ve already made etc. Hopefully, the new editor helps with this. But the timeout issues have gotten much worse over the years.. Doing research, sometimes calls for swiping away from even split-screen quick then going back to “unexpectedly quit” messages and note timeouts. I make sound apps which require heavy DSP and I know the RAM limitations on iOS well.  For years we’ve been able to use multiple instances of AU apps on iOS with huge sounds libraries and then reload a project and bring back all instances from its saved state. I can call up many notes via Siri on top of each other and they don’t time out in the same way. The iPad is capable of holding notes without quick timeouts. That’s not asking for much.

The actual question asked was "What are your favorite apps for taking notes?", which would surely mean different things to different people. Does it mean literally typing notes? Then an app like iA Writer would be best, it looks great and is a pleasure to use. But it isn't much good at organizing notes, or capturing images or receiving email. If you mostly want to type notes, but also store images and documents, then maybe Bear is best. But it doesn't do everything Evernote does. Maybe you mostly want to store and organize notes, in which case Evernote is best, though the note editor isn't so hot.. anyway, a poll like this doesn't mean much as we all have different ideas as to what is "best".

Though everyone here must find some use for Evernote, else we wouldn't be here..

• Level 5*

Easy, kids -- pretty open-ended topic here. No reason not to talk about things in Evernote that bug you vs other applications (though hopefully you've reported those elsewhere in a more appropriate place)

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, ObviousBob said:

Does it mean literally typing notes?

Good point; A definition of note-taking is: The practice of writing down pieces of information gained from a particular source, such as a lecture or presentation.

btw My preference is handwriting for note-taking; typing for notes/documents