Tagging Notes in a Shared Notebook

My wife has the Plus version of Evenote running on a Mac. I have the Premium version running on Windows. She shares a Notebook with me. I am now able to modify Notes in her Notebook, add, and delete Notes. However, I try to add a Tag to one of her Notes and I can't.

Is that the way Evernote is designed or does she or I have an install or set-up incompatibility issue that she or I needs to deal with? And if so, what would you suggest?

If that is the way Evernote is designed to operate, why? What problem did the designers envision that would occur if 2 users could share a Notebook and both add Tags to Notes?
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Analyst444 said:

If that is the way Evernote is designed to operate

Yes, that is by design.  You can add existing tags, but not create new tags

>>why? What problem did the designers envision that would occur if 2 users could share a Notebook and both add Tags to Notes?

A notebook is owned by a single user account.  The tags in the notebook are owned by the notebook owner.

As a share, you have access to those tags, but they are distinct from your set of tags.  There could be duplicate names between the two sets. Evernote has to keep this controlled

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

If that is the way Evernote is designed to operate, why? What problem did the designers envision that would occur if 2 users could share a Notebook and both add Tags to Notes?

The rule is that you can add tags to a note in a notebook shared to you, but you may only add tags that have already been used in that shared notebook. For the rationale, see 

Note that @engberg was the CTO of Evernote at that time.