Cursor jumps to top of Note while typing

Often, when I'm editing the middle of a Note, the cursor jumps to the top of the Note and starts entering text there, not where I initially placed the cursor and began typing.  So, the first letter or two will appear where I began typing in the middle of the Note, then suddeny it continues to type the rest of that word at the very top of the Note. I'm using Chrome.

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
On 9/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, Michael Tseng said:

It happened to me when I use Mac client (Version 7.12) to edit notes. Can anyone fix this bug so that I could write note more smoothly?

If you're using the Mac client, then you should report problems in the Mac forum here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-evernote-for-mac/ This forum is specific to the Evernote web client.

Since the new web interface was implemented it happened to me too. Impossible to type. Makes it completely unusable. Latest Firefox, latest Windows 10.

Do any of you guys type non-politically correct notes, on topics such as holistic health? It's not outside the realm of possibility that they're just messing with us ..

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue. Cursos jumps when using evernote web client. 

Im using a Chromebook / Chrome. latest version. 

I joined the Beta Text Editor program and I'm having the same issue in both versions. Classic and Beta. 

Please correct, makes this editor useless. 

• Like 4

I have also found this a problem (and have reported it via the web editor feedback button). Here is my experience:

• It happens when I use the web client. (I've not experienced it on the Windows client.)
  • It happens in Firefox and Chrome, both on Windows 10.
  • It happens on different Windows 10 machines.
  • I have only noticed it since the Beta Editor was introduced. But...
  • It happens on both the Beta Editor and the Classic Editor.

Here is what happens:

• I am typing in the middle of a text note (in Beta or Classic editor of the web client).
  • At some random point the following things happen in quick succession:
    1. The last few keystrokes are suddenly undone. If I was typing this means the last few characters disappear from the note. If I just pasted a bit of text that might disappear.
    2. The cursor jumps to the start of the note.
    3. The screen does not move to the top of the note until I type the next characters.

Note that those things happen in quick succession. So - if I am typing without pausing - it looks like the cursor has just jumped to the top of the screen in the middle of typing. But on closer inspection - when I scroll back down to where I was typing originally - I also find the few characters before what's at the top of the screen have disappeared. For example, if I type "Once upon a time" at the bottom of the document and 1, 2, and 3 happen just after I type "upon a" then I will see " time" at the top of the screen, scroll back to the bottom, and see just "Once up".

A slightly different effect happens if I am typing and the bug occurs a moment after I pause to think. In this case, steps 1 and 2 have happened, but 3 has not yet happened because I've not typed anything more. In this case the effect is that I will see my typed text, I will see the last few keystrokes mysteriously undone before my eyes(!), and the blinking cursor after that text will have disappeared. Scrolling to the top of the note I will see the cursor blinking away there.

Yes, this is very annoying, and yes, it does make it near-impossible to work in the web editor.

• Like 6

Sorry to follow up so quickly, but I've just looked at the network traffic that happens when I edit a note. It seems (from only about 10 minutes of testing) that the bug coincides with a call to Google Analytics (or other Google domains). Network traffic happens with evernote.com while I type happily, but I see the bug occuring and Google traffic appearing at the same time. If I have time I will try blocking that domain to see if it helps.

ScreenClip.png

• Like 1
On 9/15/2019 at 4:11 AM, Mikael F said:

Since the new web interface was implemented it happened to me too. Impossible to type. Makes it completely unusable. Latest Firefox, latest Windows 10.

Do any of you guys type non-politically correct notes, on topics such as holistic health? It's not outside the realm of possibility that they're just messing with us ..

On 12/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, Nik Silver said:

I have also found this a problem (and have reported it via the web editor feedback button). Here is my experience:

• It happens when I use the web client. (I've not experienced it on the Windows client.)

Here is what happens:

• I am typing in the middle of a text note (in Beta or Classic editor of the web client).
    1. The last few keystrokes are suddenly undone. If I was typing this means the last few characters disappear from the note. If I just pasted a bit of text that might disappear.
    3. The screen does not move to the top of the note until I type the next characters.

Note that those things happen in quick succession. So - if I am typing without pausing - it looks like the cursor has just jumped to the top of the screen in the middle of typing. But on closer inspection - when I scroll back down to where I was typing originally - I also find the few characters before what's at the top of the screen have disappeared. For example, if I type "Once upon a time" at the bottom of the document and 1, 2, and 3 happen just after I type "upon a" then I will see " time" at the top of the screen, scroll back to the bottom, and see just "Once up".

A slightly different effect happens if I am typing and the bug occurs a moment after I pause to think. In this case, steps 1 and 2 have happened, but 3 has not yet happened because I've not typed anything more. In this case the effect is that I will see my typed text, I will see the last few keystrokes mysteriously undone before my eyes(!), and the blinking cursor after that text will have disappeared. Scrolling to the top of the note I will see the cursor blinking away there.

Yes, this is very annoying, and yes, it does make it near-impossible to work in the web editor.

I am brand new to Evernote and ready to give it up already due to this glitch.

I see multiple similar complaints...but no proposed solution.  There are only questions about platform and directions to submit Mac issues to another site. Am I missing something?

Hello to everyone! That's what I found: the problem refers not only to Evernote but also to Word and Firefox/Google Chrome, so it's an overall problem of Windows (in ma case). Cursor hops when you accidently brush against touchpad, it happens while rapid typing. I've solved the problem by deactivating touchpad.

the problem is across all devices and online. It's connected to the "autosave" function. When a note autosaves, the cursor moves to beginning of the note, making evernote now for about 3 months, useless in taking notes - it's core function. It's unfortunate, but all none of the "new" features are going to help if it doesn't do it's core function well.

I do not recommend evernote anymore.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

In the Windows app, at least, it is possible to change the autosave timing in the options. I have not had the cursor jump happen to me while using the Web beta on my Windows computer. But it did happen when I used it on my Android phone, which I was able to do by using the routine recommended here:

• Like 2
  • Ex Employees

For those experiencing this issue, are you able to provide additional information regarding how to reproduce? 

Useful information:

• Operating System
  • Client and client version (or browser and browser version for web)
  • Content being edited. For example, does it happen when adding just text or maybe when adding attachments, tables, etc.?
  • Version of the editor - The web client should indicate if you're using the "beta editor"

I've seen the problem rarely myself, but not to the extent that the editor is unusable. I think there's something more going on here. Since it's across clients, it's likely a problem in our editor code, but we'll need help narrowing it down.

8 hours ago, Scott T. said:

For those experiencing this issue, are you able to provide additional information regarding how to reproduce? 

Useful information:

• Operating System
  • Content being edited. For example, does it happen when adding just text or maybe when adding attachments, tables, etc.?
  • Version of the editor - The web client should indicate if you're using the "beta editor"

I've seen the problem rarely myself, but not to the extent that the editor is unusable. I think there's something more going on here. Since it's across clients, it's likely a problem in our editor code, but we'll need help narrowing it down.

1) operating system - Windows 7 Pro

2) Evernote 6.22.3.8816 (308816) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) and Firefox Browser 71.0

3) text only, but I don't use attachments, tables etc.

4) don't know where to see version of the editor, web client doesn't indicate anything except v5.27.1

In addition, I wrote previously that the problem dissappeares when deactivating laptop's touchpad. I found this tip somewhere cause had the same problem in Word 2010.

• Thanks 1

Update 9 Jan 2020: Sorry, it seems I am mistaken. After my solution worked for a few hours it's now stopped working again. I've blocked Google Analytics using a plugin from the Chrome Store, and that seems to be okay for now. It does not seem to be linked to autosaving, however. In configurations where the error does occur my notes do autosave without the error occurring. Original post below...

I seem to have found a solution to this problem. There is a caveat that I've not had this solution in place for long, but while I've had it in place it does seem to have done the trick.

The solution is to set your browser to send a "Do Not Track" request to websites. In Chrome this is in Settings > Privacy and Security; set it to On. In Firefox it's Options > Privacy & Security; set it to Always. Then you should restart your browser.

Since selecting this option in Chrome the problem has gone away for me. I'm hoping it's not just a coincidence.

From looking at network traffic I think the problem is with Google Analytics. This would explain why it happens in the the Beta web editor and the Classic web editor - it looks like Evernote introduced analytics to both editors when they added the Beta editor. And it's reasonable to assume that Google Analytics does respect the Do Not Track request, and therefore stops doing whatever thing interferes with the editor.

• Ex Employees

Thanks for the info @Nik Silver and @Alex Modl. I've passed the information on to our Editor quality team. They have a few open tickets for cursor issues that they're working on, but they'll be reviewing the comments in this thread to see if there's a separate issue here. 

Please continue to provide any information that would help us narrow this down. I'll do some testing with Google Analytics to see what's going on there.

@Scott T. many thanks for this. I have found the problem initially on Chrome with no plugins (it's a corporate machine, and locked down, so I can't install any plugins). But I've also found it on the following browsers that I have complete control of:

• Firefox (Windows 10) with these extensions: Cisco WebEx; Disconnect for Facebook; Duplicate Tab Shortcut; Evernote Web Clipper;  Print/Print Preview; Timeline Support; Webmail Adblocker; Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel. The problem persists in this setup.
  • Chrome (Windows 10) with these extensions: Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google); Google Docs Offline. And it says I have these Chrome Apps: Docs, Sheets, Slides. Note that I recently added Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google) deliberately to block Google Analytics, and I'm trying to see if that fixes the problem. I've not seen the problem occur with it yet, but it's too early to be sure. Previously the problem did occur without that extension.
Edited by Nik Silver
Improved clarity
  • Ex Employees

Thanks @Nik Silver. Our Editor QA said he'd mention the Google Analytics in their standup this morning. He said that sounded like an interesting possibility. I'll post if I hear anything back. Let me know if that seems to solve the problem for you.

Hi everyone!

This just started happening to me. I've started using the latest web client and after creating a table on my note it because very difficult to use (currently jumping from OS text editor and evernote). My setup is:

• Operating System - Linux Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
  • Client and client version (or browser and browser version for web) - Firefox 72.0.1 (64 bit)
  • Content being edited. For example, does it happen when adding just text or maybe when adding attachments, tables, etc.? Only started experiencing it after creating a table
  • Version of the editor - The web client should indicate if you're using the "beta editor" - Evernote Web v5.27.1

Thank you all

Luis Parada

Unfortunately the plugin to block Google Analytics has not resolved the problem for me. Although I have managed to successfully use Evernote Web Client lightly for a few days, today the problem has returned. The cursor still jumps to the top of the page, even though no calls get made to the Google Analytics domain. The only domain called now from the web client is www.evernote.com, and the problem is still present.

This refers back to my previous comments describing the problem, then pointing out some coincidental activity with Google Analytics, and lastly trying a couple of solutions.

• Sad 1

I have a temporary solution. If I open evernote web as the only tab open on my device, I do not experience the jumping cursor and can write / edit notes correctly.

As soon as I open another tab in the browser (I use chrome) I experience the jumping cursor problem.

Hope this helps the tech team to look into the problem better and solve it. It's been driving me mad for a couple of months.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Daniel Shaw said:

I have a temporary solution. If I open evernote web as the only tab open on my device, I do not experience the jumping cursor and can write / edit notes correctly.

As soon as I open another tab in the browser (I use chrome) I experience the jumping cursor problem.

That is very weird. When I experienced the problem last (repeatedly) it was in the only tab in Chrome. It's also odd that @acidic68 resolved the problem by disabling a browser extension which I don't have (so it's kind-of disabled already). So it seems a solution for one person isn't a solution for another.

As you say, I hope all these stories somehow help the dev team get to the bottom of this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 12:36 AM, Scott T. said:

Useful information:

• Operating System
  •  (or browser and browser version for web)

Operating system - Windows 10 Enterprise 

Chrome - Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Content - Blank note entering body text 

Version - Beta Editor 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 8:36 AM, Scott T. said:

Useful information:

• Operating System

Also happening to me. It's making evernote completely unusable as it happens every minute or so. 

- I'm on a mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

- Using on web. Chrome browser: Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

- Content is just text.

- Evernote: web v6 5.0

On 1/7/2020 at 8:36 PM, Scott T. said:

Useful information:

• Operating System WINDOWS 10 on HP Spectre
  • Client and client version (or browser and browser version for web)  CHROME Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Content being edited. For example, does it happen when adding just text or maybe when adding attachments, tables, etc.? Just regular text, taking notes. Was FINE yesterday taking notes, no problem. Today returned to the same note to continue with notes, and it's doing the jumping, skipping, dropping text, and going to top every 1-2 minutes at the most, just as everyone here describes. I have closed EN completely and logged back in. I have closed and restarted computer. I have let it rest. I have typed extra fast, extra slow. Nothing helped. UNUSABLE TODAY.
  • Version of the editor - The web client should indicate if you're using the "beta editor" BETA EDITOR

Over the past 2 days I have notice that randomly my cursor will jump to the top of the note while I am in the middle of typing for no reason. I have looked online and other people have the same issue as me. Most of the people seem to have the issue on windows. I however have the issue on a mac, and I am using evernote in google chrome, not the mac app itself. the app is just too slow. There doesn't seem to be a proper fix. Also people are saying that it happens every time the note autosaves. I don't know what is happening with me then because I can't even tell when the note autosaves, also I have not updated chrome or evernote or anything, it just started happening randomly. It has made evernote completely unusable. does anyone know of any solutions or have any alternative note apps I can use?

This has started happening to me in the last few days as well. Glad I'm not alone. I'm using the Web Client on a Chromebook so according to the posts in here, it seems to happening on a number of platforms. Hopefully they're sorting it out!

Hi guys!

Same problem here. Can't use my Evernote on Chrome, very annoying. This sucks because I just recently bought Premium. Windows 7, Dell laptop, latest Chrome, long text file, no attachments, text only. This problem started 1 or 2 weeks ago. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

On 1/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, Nik Silver said:

Update 9 Jan 2020:  .....

.... I seem to have found a solution to this problem. There is a caveat that I've not had this solution in place for long, but while I've had it in place it does seem to have done the trick.

The solution is to set your browser to send a "Do Not Track" request to websites. In Chrome this is in Settings > Privacy and Security; set it to On. In Firefox it's Options > Privacy & Security; set it to Always. Then you should restart your browser.

Since selecting this option in Chrome the problem has gone away for me. I'm hoping it's not just a coincidence.

From looking at network traffic I think the problem is with Google Analytics. This would explain why it happens in the the Beta web editor and the Classic web editor - it looks like Evernote introduced analytics to both editors when they added the Beta editor. And it's reasonable to assume that Google Analytics does respect the Do Not Track request, and therefore stops doing whatever thing interferes with the editor.

I bolded above in Nik's post ... I did what he suggested and IT WORKED! The issue has COMPLETELY gone away by turning on "Do Not Track," and has continued with zero issues for many days since.  NOT just a coincidence. Thanks so much @Nik Silver !  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 10:38 PM, RJRland said:

I bolded above in Nik's post ... I did what he suggested and IT WORKED! The issue has COMPLETELY gone away by turning on "Do Not Track," and has continued with zero issues for many days since.  NOT just a coincidence. Thanks so much @Nik Silver !  

I did this and it was great for a day or two, but then it came back. I just experienced this issue 3 times in only 2-3 minutes.. 

This just happened with me 5 times in one minute!!! F***!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that - I went back to my note after writing this and half of the last sentence was missing!

Edited by JanisT
update
On 12/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Nik Silver said:

Here is what happens:

this is happening with me also and evernote is totally unusable this time. It happened previously too but got solved when i changed my laptop.

Useful information:

• Win 10
  • Chrome version 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • tried it for text only
  • Version Evernote Web v6.7.0

• Level 5

I feel very fortunate not to have experienced this. I notice that most (not all) of the reports, especially the recent ones, are from users of Chrome. Based on these reports, and on information in this unrelated thread, it seems that it is happening in the Evernote Web beta client v. 6.x, which is not available outside of Chrome at the moment, I believe. (I use Opera, which is Chromium-based but gets Web beta v. 5.9 and does not seem to have this problem.) @Scott T., any progress on this?

I started having this problem yesterday. It's not just the beta client, the "classic" has it too. It makes working with Evernote web basically impossible. Hope that someone comes up with a solution fast!

• Level 5

@DVR, what browser are you using?

In Opera, I just found the beta editor version updated to v. 6.7. And when I did a test, at unpredictable moments the cursor did indeed jump to the top and apparently delete some typing. That happened twice, when typing within an existing note. But when I created a new note and typed for awhile, it didn't happen. Puzzling and needing a solution.

This started to happen to me as well starting from a week ago or so. The cursor jumps to the beginning of the note. The "Do not track" trick did not help. Super annoying! It's sad that this issue was posted on September 1, 2019 and after six months the problem persists.

Ubuntu 18

Chrome Version 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This also happens in Windows app for me!

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Opera browser works!

I've got very disappointed today. This jumping cursor from search bar to main window happened to me as well after several months of smooth usage. Windows 10, Firefox or Google chrome, or Edge having the same issue with cursor. Free account. The same on other computer with clean setup.

... after an hour, I got a sub-optimal workaround. Opera browser works. !

This is an interesting ongoing issue. Is somewhere posted the reason?

• Like 1