Evernote Premium Discount (Basic and Plus only - expires 18 Sept))

• Level 5*

Just so everyone (that reads this stuff) is aware - there's a 40% discount for Basic & Plus users opening their account to upgrade to Premium for the next few weeks.  Existing Premium and Business users need not apply (unless you're starting a separate new account... I guess.)

Full details here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001861647-Limited-Time-40-Off-Evernote-Premium-Offer

And thanks to Heather Wilde's Evernote Daily News (31 August) for alerting me.

EDIT:  I took out "or renewing" from the first sentence - my bad;  sorry...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

there's a 40% discount for Basic & Plus users opening or renewing their account to upgrade to Premium for the next few weeks

Not naming names, but for the love of pizza, can somebody @Ian Small please put this guy on the payroll, or at minimum give him lifetime free subscription

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Athena13 said:

I actually clicked on the offer to see what that would make the cost be (I couldn't recall off-hand), and I got a message that I was not eligible for the offer.  I am currently a Plus member.

Hmmn.  My bad - I read the linked information as being for both new and renewing customers,  but the wording seems to be strictly for NEW customers.  You could try one of the links it shows for monthly or annual pay Plus customers,  but I don't qualify.  If they don't explain more,  try contacting Support.  (Please post the outcome here too...)

I edited the original post so's not to be confusing.

• Level 5

I think it is just for new customers. Somehow companies tend to spend to expand their customer base, which is how the word is turning. 

I am fine with this, as long as they do not forget the customer base they already have ... in the end it my money that helps others to join the pack 🤠

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Seems to me that anyone with a real wish to claim the discount for an 'existing account' could export their existing database notebooks to ENEX as separate files,  change the email address in the existing account,  delete the content and mark the account 'dormant',  then take out a new account with the same address and start over.  If you happen to have a spare email address it's even easier... just open a new account and upgrade,  then export/ import your content... might be easier for Evernote Just to extend the offer to existing account upgrades.  (Just my opinion :P)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Seems to be ...

Let us do some math:

You have a customer base of 100 paying clients, making you 1.000 bucks a year.

Now you discount for newbies, 5 will join, makes a revenue of 1.030 bucks the 1st year (40% discount), and 1.050 ever after.

But your existing customers are unhappy.

So you give the discount to everybody, and because everybody is so happy, you win 10 newbies by this.

But your accountant is blown, because your income drops to 660, and when you expect it to go back up 1 year later to 1.100, you get the next revolution from your users. Plus even if not, you would need several years (could do the math, but you get the idea) to recover the revenue lost in the single year where you discounted.

So we pay, use a workaround like the one above, wasting away a Sunday on hiding our prior existence, exporting and importing our data, or leave to another place, that tells us „Hi there, I have a discount for you (only the 1st year)“.

And then you think, some times life sucks, but the sun is out, the birds are singing, the beer is cold and the girls are pretty ...

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

export their existing database notebooks to ENEX as separate files,  change the email address in the existing account,  delete the content and mark the account 'dormant',  then take out a new account with the same address and start over.

Shared notebooks would work.  Let the existing account downgrade to Basic

I actually have a second account eligible for the upgrade

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Shared notebooks would work.  Let the existing account downgrade to Basic

I actually have a second account eligible for the upgrade

It seems odd,  but AFAICS existing Basic users can't get this upgrade either - it seems to need to be a completely new account.  Hence the suggestion to export existing notes and basically trash the account - unless you have a separate email address you can use.  (Not of course that I'm advocating any kind of underhand behaviour with respect to new accounts or upgrade discounts... 😗)

EDIT: <sigh>  My day for oopsing;  apparently existing Basic users can renew and upgrade - I took my own advice and followed the link in the original Evernote offer page for Basic users (I have a couple of those accounts too).  No idea what the Plus links go to.  Oddly the Basic users page is offering me the deal in rupees... ??

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  My bad - I read the linked information as being for both new and renewing customers,  but the wording seems to be strictly for NEW customers.  You could try one of the links it shows for monthly or annual pay Plus customers,  but I don't qualify.  If they don't explain more,  try contacting Support.  (Please post the outcome here too...)

I edited the original post so's not to be confusing.

Thanks!  

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

It seems odd,  but AFAICS existing Basic users can't get this upgrade either - it seems to need to be a completely new account.  Hence the suggestion to export existing notes and basically trash the account - unless you have a separate email address you can use.  (Not of course that I'm advocating any kind of underhand behaviour with respect to new accounts or upgrade discounts... 😗)

EDIT: <sigh>  My day for oopsing;  apparently existing Basic users can renew and upgrade - I took my own advice and followed the link in the original Evernote offer page for Basic users (I have a couple of those accounts too).  No idea what the Plus links go to.  Oddly the Basic users page is offering me the deal in rupees... ??

Clearly we Plus members are the red-headed stepchildren of the EN family....

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have yet to click on it since these are typically only one year discounts, so need to decide if going forward I really WANT Premium FULL price LONG TERM as I certainly don't NEED it.  However while signed into my account I have offers to upgrade which would seem only to make sense if upgrade not new, so maybe depends on the origination of the link as to the context.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gear64 said:

these are typically only one year discounts

I don't know of many companies with a published price structure that offer multi-year deals.  Agreed it's a short(?)-term benefit,  but it's still a discount,  and you can always downgrade again immediately so your account will default to Basic after one year.  If there's another discount worth taking at that time,  you can reconsider...

I received the offer via email, so I don't think it is only for new accounts. Haven't tried to see if it will reject me, but I have noticed I have not been able to submit support tickets for quite a while (I get instantly signed out).

While I could really use a few Premium features (note history, switching between accounts), I am generally content with my Plus account. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:23 AM, gazumped said:

I don't know of many companies with a published price structure that offer multi-year deals.  Agreed it's a short(?)-term benefit,  but it's still a discount,  and you can always downgrade again immediately so your account will default to Basic after one year.  If there's another discount worth taking at that time,  you can reconsider...

I'm on Plus, any idea I can get back to plus after 1 year of premium?

I don't see them offering Plus tier anymore.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, possertive said:

any idea I can get back to plus after 1 year of premium?

No clue. I'm only another user. Basic users can (obviously) get back to Basic again,  but Plus users will have to stay with their current account level,  or chance that Evernote will have another Premium discount scheme in 12 months time,  or will have introduced another 'tier' of user between Basic and Premium.  Your risk,  entirely your decision... 

2 hours ago, possertive said:

I'm on Plus, any idea I can get back to plus after 1 year of premium?

From help.evernote.com:

"To get more features than Basic provides, upgrade to Premium. Note: Current Plus subscribers will maintain their subscription as long as their subscription remains active."

I believe that means Plus is intended to disappear, so I am not in any hurry to upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As of now (company policies may change, and we users know it when it happens) this is how I read it: When you are in PLUS, you can remain there. As soon as you change it, you can not go back.

For me it means as well that the PLUS user base is relevant to EN, but not covering the cash flow needed to grow the business. This would be especially true if Premium users could downgrade to Plus.

12 hours ago, Don Dz said:

From help.evernote.com:

"To get more features than Basic provides, upgrade to Premium. Note: Current Plus subscribers will maintain their subscription as long as their subscription remains active."

I believe that means Plus is intended to disappear, so I am not in any hurry to upgrade.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As of now (company policies may change, and we users know it when it happens) this is how I read it: When you are in PLUS, you can remain there. As soon as you change it, you can not go back.

For me it means as well that the PLUS user base is relevant to EN, but not covering the cash flow needed to grow the business. This would be especially true if Premium users could downgrade to Plus.

Yea. Sure looks that way. Gonna hold my horses this time.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:49 AM, gazumped said:

there's a 40% discount for Basic & Plus users

I've got both a Plus and a Premium account and the "Plus" is NOT eligible (that's what it says when I try) for this upgrade discount. I had considered it but if I can't do it I really don't care. The "Plus" is just for testing stuff anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

@OrbWeaver - Thanks for the update - most Plus users who have commented so far seem to content to stay that way so's not to fall into a Premium 'trap' after their discount year.  Looks like Evernote is going to have to look into different pricing structures if they want to streamline the product types...

On 9/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, gazumped said:

content to stay that way so's not to fall into a Premium 'trap'

Switch from "plus" and you are stuck with "Premium" forever. They will have to come up with a better deal for Plus users if they want to get them into a higher price bracket. Basic (I have one of those as well) is essentially useless. 60MB wouldn't cover a dozen photos from a typical camera these days and even scanned PDF files can be huge just because they are images rather than text. Plus was a happy medium that was quite useful.