Reminders Not Pinned or in a ToDo List !?

I'm using EN-for Windows 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) on Win10 Laptop

I decided to look into using EN reminders, instead of copy-pasting Tasks into Asana... but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to actually see/display a list of my EN reminders!

I tested using them, and am able to set a reminder, and then see a pop up notification when it falls due. And I'm not interested in receiving any email notifications, so I turned that off in the settings/options.

According to EN'  intro info re reminders  on their website, it explains:

1. Reminders appear as a 'to-do list' will be displayed in the notebook where the note lives - but this does not happen for me/my EN install
  2. Reminders are pinned to the top of my 'note list' (I assume 'All Notes' list) - but again nothing is pinned at the top of my All Notes note list (or even the notebook where the note lives) even when i change the sorting option to 'sort by reminder' ( i use side list view, and normally sorted by Title)

I was also reading lots of ideas re reminders, workarounds etc on an EN feature Request about Pin notes to the top of notebook but ideally would like it to work as EN explained it

Does anyone know how to get reminders to work on EN-for-Windows as described on their website (see attached image or link)??? cheers 

image.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

I can't figure out how to actually see/display a list of my EN reminders!

In Evernote/Windows, there is a Reminders section at the top of the note list in specific views
In Evernote/Mac, the Reminders section shows as a tab1166435060_ScreenShot2019-08-29at02_01_39.png.d31d95b71052b21ffc2cfa8253c50593.png

Personally, I use saved searches.  For example, my current task list is generated by  
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
(all reminders, exclude future dated, exclude completed)

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

In the Windows application, reminders that match your current search filter (notebook, tag, whatever) appear at the top of your note list and under the search panel list in a separate list, but only if that note list is a snippet, thumbnail or or card view. They do not appear if you're using tp list or side list. That list is independently sortable -- indeed, you can configure it so that  reminders are ordered via drag/drop. The list is also collapsible, via a little control at the left hand side of the "Reminders" item.

image.png.aaa558b56bd58524283808704de00501.png

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

In Evernote/Windows, there is a Reminders section at the top of the note list in specific views

Hey @DTLow Indeed it does. Reminders showed up on snippet view, amongst others, but not my preferred Side-List view, strange they would configure EN like this.

In Evernote/Mac, the Reminders section shows as a tab

Another item to add to EN list of things to make consistent across platforms

Personally, I use saved searches.  For example, my current task list is generated by  
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
(all reminders, exclude future dated, exclude completed)

This is AWEEESOOMMEE.  Love it 😍. Then add this saved search as a shortcut, and all today's reminder are within easy one-click reach. Thanks very much ...and so easy.  Question - why wouldn't you just clear the reminders once you have actioned the task(s)?

10 hours ago, jefito said:

In the Windows application, reminders that match your current search filter (notebook, tag, whatever) appear at the top of your note list and under the search panel list in a separate list, but only if that note list is a snippet, thumbnail or or card view. They do not appear if you're using tp list or side list. That list is independently sortable -- indeed, you can configure it so that  reminders are ordered via drag/drop. The list is also collapsible, via a little control at the left hand side of the "Reminders" item.

Thanks very much @jefito Yep, this worked exactly as you explained it.  I rarely use the EN Notebook search, and noticed that a 'notebook:[notebook name]' search did not work for me. I suspect this is because I use multi-word/character notebook titles that include blank-spaces.  The tag search worked and sorted the reminders at top...I did not try manually re-arranging or ordering them.

Just trying to think of a use case for this approach...that displays reminders (that can then be sorted) at the top of the note list, but only after a specific search was done. 

Ideally I would have the ability of sorting as you describe, combined with @DTLow saved search/shortcut approach... now that would be the best of both worlds.

Apart from that do either of you, or other Guru's reading this, know why Reminders aren't displayed as explained by EN on their website (see my original post above)??? ***SCRATCH THAT *** It depends on the view configuration - yes it shows in snippet/card view etc *** EN needs to better communicate that

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

Question - why wouldn't you just clear the reminders once you have actioned the task(s)?

But then I would lose the due/completed dates - someday  I may need them 🤔

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, RavBoy said:

why wouldn't you just clear the reminders once you have actioned the task(s)?

If you perform a Mark as Done on the reminder it disappears from the list, the-reminderdonetime:* bit of the search.  That way if you ever want to back track as the the when of any given reminder you can.  You can also Clear the reminder and leave not trace a reminder was ever set.  I prefer the Mark as Done process, FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

noticed that a 'notebook:[notebook name]' search did not work for me. I suspect this is because I use multi-word/character notebook titles that include blank-spaces. 

Use quotes, as in     notebook:"notebook name"

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Just trying to think of a use case for this approach...that displays reminders (that can then be sorted) at the top of the note list, but only after a specific search was done. 

At work, my Todo notebook has a fair number of items, but only a few of them have reminders )the specific search being: I click on my Todo notebook). Those are the ones I want to see up top no matter how the notes in that notebook are ordered (snippet view, which I use, only has room for 8 or so items visible with the reminders list closed, fewer if it's open). Once I'm done with a reminder note, I mark it as done, and move it somewhere else, typically my Journal notebook.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Ideally I would have the ability of sorting as you describe, combined with @DTLow saved search/shortcut approach... now that would be the best of both worlds.

I was mistaken...we already do get the best of both worlds! 

Clicking on the 'reminder-search' shortcut does indeed display all the reminders, AND sorts them by Notebook, with the ability to drag & re-order. This is awesome.  

I also decided that I will change the middle note-list view-options to 'Thumbnail View' when specifically wanting to view/action Reminders, as I like the visual contrast it provides.  Plus being able to easily toggle the view option with F5 hotkey is great and much easier than using the cursor and drop-downs.

thanks again to all you guru's who give so much.  strange I get excited over these small system wins, but they do save time, make things easier etc hence why i fnd myself checking in to see latest threads on a daily basis...cheers

@RavBoy The search syntax for reminders -- e.g. reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:* -- is sometimes buggy. My most recent testing, about 1 year ago, produced both false positives (reminders that shouldn't appear in the results, but do) and false negatives (reminders that should appear in the results but don't). Even if you test carefully today and the search string appears to work, it could revert (i.e. the bugs could crop up again) at any time. I have found no 100% accurate method to display reminders (across all notebooks) in the Windows client. The only reliable way I have found to be sure I don't miss any is to use the Android "Evernote list 4x2" widget, in the widget settings aka "Customize Widget", under "List Options" -> "Show" pick "Reminders" from the drop-down, and sort by date. It then displays all reminders in three groups: Overdue, Upcoming, and Unscheduled.

The pop-up reminder notifications seem reliable, but if you get a bunch of reminders and have to dismiss them, then later do a search using the above syntax to see what needs attending to, that's a good example of when the bug(s) I'm talking about have burned me in the past.

4 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

it could revert (i.e. the bugs could crop up again) at any time. I have found no 100% accurate method to display reminders (across all notebooks) in the Windows client.

Damn... @John in Michigan USA you just popped my bubble! 😤  lol...Thanks for letting me know. So far, the only notes with reminders set for today, do all appear in the search results, so touch wood, it continues to be accurate and doesn't revert as you say. Would be interesting to see if others corroborate your experience/results???  To be sure, and as I start to use this feature, I will occasionally cross-check against Android.  cheers 

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

The search syntax for reminders -- e.g. reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:* -- is sometimes buggy.

I'm interested in more details on this being buggy.  

There's actually three parameters in that search, or is it the combination

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's actually three parameters in that search, or is it the combination

I used all three parameters in the one saved search, and they worked fine. then tried just the first two and still fine, as I had already cleared past marked-done reminders, and still aok