I have been using Evernote for quite some time now and finally upgraded to Premium. I regularly make use of (predicate logic) symbols to keep sentences short and neat in planners and notes in general.

Most alt codes work just fine (e.g. →; ^; ¬; ≡; ±). However, for some reason one that I would like to use very much is the not equal to symbol (i.e.  ≠). I know that the symbol is (stritcly) Unicode, but Evernote is capable of handling the character, as I can copy/paste it just fine. I feel that it shouldn't be necessary to do this.

Am I overlooking something?

Vale,

Thomas

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ahmost said:

Most alt codes work just fine ... not equal to symbol (i.e.  ≠)

On my Mac I type Alt/Option =
I don't know if there's a Windows equivalent

If using ALT codes, it's Alt + 8800  

• Level 5*

In the UK (or maybe it's just me) two greater than / less than characters means 'not equal' - "><" 

Never had a need to look into this before,  and assumed there'd be an ASCII code if nothing else;  but I agree - this is surprisingly hard in Windows!

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, gazumped said:

In the UK (or maybe it's just me) two greater than / less than characters means 'not equal' - "><" 

I thought that went the other way, i.e., '<>'. At least you find that in Pascal, Basic, and probably others. '><' is kinda like driving on the wrong side of the road... 😆 

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Typo?  Or maybe just because we drive on the right side of the road.  Rest of the world?  Not so much...

*We* drive on the right side of the road, and you drive on the left side. Right is right, and left is... not so much... 😝

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, jefito said:

Did a web search fpr "windows typing ≠ symbol".. It's evidently not easy on Windows, see https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-make-≠-not-equal-sign-on-keyboard.

Flip side, as an old C programmer, I just use != 

Well, it's easy now! I copy/paste the character from here!

charmap.exe is another way. But my usual is google-search to either find a copy/pastable character, or the alt-code.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, dcon said:

But my usual is google-search to either find a copy/pastable character, or the alt-code.

Yeah, me too on copy/paste. I can't remember any alt-codes any more, though.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Yup, that too. I think that the "<>" vs "><" might just be a colonial vs ex-empire thing... :) 

Wonder how Excel works in ex-Empire, though I might wager a few quid it is <>.

16 hours ago, CalS said:

Wonder how Excel works in ex-Empire, though I might wager a few quid it is <>.

I remember hearing people <insert applicable word/> that the function names (etc) are actually translated too. Meaning if you open an english excel sheet in french, it's not likely to work.

• Level 5

Actually this is true- function names in Excel are localized. I came from real programming languages and had a very hard time to unlearn all that when I started with a German Excel installation years ago. It did not even accept the English standards as an alternative. I do not remember whether in the background it works when you send a sheet from a German installation to (say) Italy.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, dcon said:

I remember hearing people <insert applicable word/> that the function names (etc) are actually translated too. Meaning if you open an english excel sheet in french, it's not likely to work.

Need some British Excel  expertise to clear the air.  :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dcon said:

The comic Pearls Before Swine hit that on the head yesterday (the 23rd).

Ha-ha. I haven't seen that comic before, but yeah, welcome to my world. Evernote is actually helpful for remembering techy details like alt code, MIME types for Evernote searches, etc., but then you need to remember how you categorized them and it all goes to recursive hell...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
On 8/23/2019 at 4:22 PM, jefito said:

Yeah, me too on copy/paste. I can't remember any alt-codes any more, though.

6 hours ago, dcon said:

The comic Pearls Before Swine hit that on the head yesterday (the 23rd).

4 hours ago, jefito said:

Ha-ha. I haven't seen that comic before, but yeah, welcome to my world. Evernote is actually helpful for remembering techy details like alt code, MIME types for Evernote searches, etc., but then you need to remember how you categorized them and it all goes to recursive hell...

Yeah, Pearls is one of the very best. I haven't wasted spent as much time looking at it lately. Need to catch up.