Full Features in iOS Evernote?

Wondering if Evernote is planning on implementing all the features of Evernote in iOS? 

Like many people I don’t use my Mac except when I absolutely have to.  Merging notes on Evernote? 

Yeah, that’s one of the few times I boot up my Mac.  

After trying many programs, I’m coming back around to using Evernote for everything instead of just as an archive.  It’s a really great program, but any program that isn’t giving me the full features in iOS is at a disadvantage, because I have no intention of replacing my Mac when it dies.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, csinars said:

Wondering if Evernote is planning on implementing all the features of Evernote in iOS? 

Evernote has indicated an interest in a common editor, and feature parity for platforms; no timeframe indicated

Of course each platform/device is has different levels of capabilities

>>Like many people I don’t use my Mac except when I absolutely have to....I have no intention of replacing my Mac when it dies.

I don't understand this.  I have a Mac Mini running constantly for features not supported by an iPad

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

>>Like many people I don’t use my Mac except when I absolutely have to.

I don't understand this.  I have a Mac Mini running constantly for features not supported by an iPad

I can count on one hand the number of things I can’t do on my iPad.  Everything I do is on my iPad/iPhone/Apple Watch.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

iPad- only is within reach for practically all day-to-day stuff. I am waiting for iPadOS, and the improvement of apps like EN that will be possible then.

However, real editing of photos will see me using my Mac for quite a while to come.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, csinars said:

I can count on one hand the number of things I can’t do on my iPad.

There you go.  Others will have different counts.

We need a desktop device for the heavy lifting stuff

There's overlap where the same functions are do-able on either device.  It's good idea to have backup resources.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

iPad- only is within reach for practically all day-to-day stuff. I am waiting for iPadOS, and the improvement of apps like EN that will be possible then.

However, real editing of photos will see me using my Mac for quite a while to come.

Eagerly awaiting iPadOS myself.  

I’m surprised to hear about photo editing.  I don’t do much of that myself so I have little experience with the heavy end of editing of photos.  Are the apps not full featured enough?  Or is it the RAW still not supported on iPads etc?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I am waiting for iPadOS

It's still baby steps, but I'm excited by the possibilities.

Every year the hardware gets better, the OS gets better, the apps get better.

My hope is the eventual consolidation of IPadOS and MacOS 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

With Affinity Photo there is an excellent iPad-Adaptation of the Mac/Windows Program. I would advise to run it on an iPad Pro to have enough horsepower, preferably with a lot of memory. Each JPEG + RAW carries appr. 40MB ...

The combination with the pencil is a dream when working on the pics. Full RAW development and editing is included, and for purchase, not as an abo. There is Affinity Designer and Publisher as well for the iPad, making for a full creative publishing workflow in iOS.

The only thing I am missing is a powerful import and catalogue app for the iPad. Affinity up to now has nothing similar to Lightroom. And the Photos app is quite restricted on the iPad, compared to the Mac. Because I have a 32“ photo-calibrated high-res HDR monitor to do my picture work on my MacBook Pro, it is still more the Mac than the iPad for this. I am now hoping that with „sidecar“, it will become possible to use the iPad with pencil as a graphics tablet for the Mac.

But on holiday, when you want to travel light, I have a full photo import & editing suite with me, just carrying my camera, a small SD-to-lightning-Adapter and my iPad Pro 10.5. If the Hotel WiFi is good enough, I can even sync what I download to the iPad into iCloud, making sure I do not loose pictures just in case.

• Level 5

Import from SD-Card to the iPad works, but without options. It will grab all pictures that are on the SD card, ignore all the rest (no general file import), check for duplicates and push the new ones into photos.

I prefer to have a chance to review the pics still on the SD card and eliminate all those that do not need to be imported.

Then the photos app on the iPad lacks a lot of functions available on the Mac: Tagging, EXIF-editing, Smart Albums etc.

So I prefer to get pictures to the Mac. Then I am using a program called Graphics Converter (that is much more than just a converter) to sort through, build the catalogue, get the tags and EXIFs set, and save it into a folder structure. It will even do RAW development and basic editing. Affinity is then for the few pics that need further editing.

There is no technical reason why the iPad cannot have parity. The only reason is because the Dev team is treating it like a resized iphone application. If you look at One Note, Bear, Notion they are pushing the limits of what iPad Pros can do while Evernote is treating the iPad Pro rather lackluster in comparison to the desktop. I use my iPad Pro more than my 3K MBP and prefer it to the MBP and think its ridiculous that it doesn’t have feature parity. 

• Like 1
On 8/17/2019 at 11:03 AM, DTLow said:

It's still baby steps, but I'm excited by the possibilities.

Every year the hardware gets better, the OS gets better, the apps get better.

My hope is the eventual consolidation of IPadOS and MacOS 

But concerning Evernote iPad OS gives no more power to app development than the current development tools in terms of access to metal etc. I’m very frustrated on how Evernote gimps the iPad version.  

• Level 5

Yes, there are reasons. One is that iOS is completely sandboxed, which allows the interaction of apps only through narrowly defined channels („share button“). Another is that the mobile EN apps were designed to reduce memory load and CPU stress by doing most of the work on the EN server. Third iOS is lacking real multitasking capabilities - the processor has one high performance core, and several low energy ones, whereas a notebook CPU will have several full-power cores.

Now the iPads have dramatically improved, and with iPadOS the OS will move more in the direction of a full OS like MacOS. 

An app like EN will have to find it’s own way to translate this into its own capabilities. This may be more difficult than for younger competitors, based on the engine that drives the app.

But things are simple: If you like another solution better, then move on.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, there are reasons. One is that iOS is completely sandboxed, which allows the interaction of apps only through narrowly defined channels („share button“). Another is that the mobile EN apps were designed to reduce memory load and CPU stress by doing most of the work on the EN server. Third iOS is lacking real multitasking capabilities - the processor has one high performance core, and several low energy ones, whereas a notebook CPU will have several full-power cores.

Now the iPads have dramatically improved, and with iPadOS the OS will move more in the direction of a full OS like MacOS. 

An app like EN will have to find it’s own way to translate this into its own capabilities. This may be more difficult than for younger competitors, based on the engine that drives the app.

But things are simple: If you like another solution better, then move on.

But things are not that simple especially for business users like myself who want basic features added or fixed rather to collaborate better with heavy EN usage and content spanning years. If things where simple EN would update their engine to support modern features or even iPad Pros. For users especially those who want EN to do more than Dark mode; its a bit more complex then simply dumping a Dropbox. Whats nice about the younger companies is their ability to add features in a timely fashion. Users feature request X they time table it and it releases. However EN not so much; Im one of the OG EN users when the platform first launched it was an exciting time. However in that time updates where flourishing, the community was busy talking about new features and it the platform was buzzing. Now what i find is EN spaces for instance hasn’t had a meaningful update for sharing. Work Chat is in DIRE need of update. What ever happened to Penultimate ( check out that update version year wise ) We get great updates from the new CEO but nothing is tangible as of yet its all kind of a crawl. Has Evernote become to big to be able to pivot in a world where its competitors are adding features faster then they can have people so eloquently present passive ways to differ a topic? I dont have the answer sadly, What i do know is that Every Evernote business user i know is incredibly frustrated with ENs lack of updates when it comes to collaboration and testing multiple services due this slow ability to act. 

Glad to see that I’m not alone in my migration from MacBook to iPad Pro... I’m using iPadOS Beta right now and am disappointed to see that one immediate EN limitation is no insertion of tables. Here’s hoping that once iPadOS becomes generally available in the fall, EN will follow up fairly quickly with a new version for iPad users with all - maybe even more? - tools currently available in MacOS.

• Level 5

You can insert a table on iPad, but you need to activate this in your settings:

Go to settings. Pick the „notes“ submenu. There pick the first item in the list, for the advanced options (translated from German, somit may be titled differently - but it is the first of the options in the „notes“ submenu). Then go down the list of options til the last one.

If you enable it, you can introduce a new table by introducing the right number of [ ] - brackets. Each pair stands for another column.

To get a new row, just press <tab> in the last cell of the last row of the existing table.

The feature is quite rudimentary, but at least you can get a table into a note if you really want to, and use it on the iPad.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the tip! I wasn’t even aware of the settings ... since I’m still “playing around” with our new iPad Pro to see if it really can become a MacBook replacement (we really want to reduce the number of devices we schlepp around.)

But the workaround is a bit inconvenient and there’s still evidently no way to use the “match note width” command on the iPad. I wasn’t even aware that it wasn’t possible to insert a divider on the iPad, but the advanced settings show that with a rather unusual combination of keys that’s also possible. So thanks very much, Pink Elephant, for making us aware of the Settings!

Still: just like other apps, EN will have to come up with a separate version for the iPad, which is a very different device than an iPhone... Just hope that it doesn’t take EN as long as it took Apple to finally come up with a separate OS.

• Level 5

I totally agree with this. I am working mainly on my iPad Pro, but there are some issues where the app is just not up to do what I need.

Part of it is rooted in the way it handles notes. On all mobiles it is „one note at a time“ which does not allow working on a selection of notes.

This makes working iPad-only very inefficient on some jobs, like organizing, tagging and getting the Inbox to zero.

I do not expect this to change soon, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

I imagine that Evernote knows how many users are migrating to iPadOS, and if there are many as I hope there are, I’m sure that the Evernote team is working overtime to ensure that there will be soon be a special iPadOS Evernote version that will match and hopefully even exceed macOS Evernote.

We’re currently trying out rented iPadPros 11 and 12.9. While we’re not quite ready to make the shift from our PC, our Windows laptop, and our MacBook, if the promising new Libra keyboard with trackpad comes out early next year and iPadOS continues to expand, then we’ll be doing a major transformation. iPads are much more portable and multi-functional - a great camera and a phone (with the right kind of app, maybe Apple will finally make the move to SIM phone?!) and with 1 TB capacity are really tempting those like us who would much rather have one device to toss into the bag for all purposes...

Evernote was the reason we got our first MacBook because the macOS Evernote was so much nicer visually. We really hope that PinkElephant’s pessimistic prediction is too pessimistic and that iPadOS will be movies from Evernote’s back burner to high up on the priority list  ... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The optimist says "The glas is half full".

The pessimist says "The glas is half empty"

The engineer says "The glas was designed way too large for the content".

For a long time our desires of what could and should be done on an iPad by far exceed the abilities of both the OS and the apps.The OS seems to be mostly fixed - I like what I see in iPadOS.

Now it is time for the apps to pick up the new opportunities:  I would be happy if EN on the iPad would allow to download and work on a complete copy of the relevant database, including the power to work on several notes at once.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I would be happy if EN on the iPad would allow to download and work on a complete copy of the relevant database

Offline Notebooks provides a copy

I have a full database copy on my iPad, even though I mostly work online 

• Level 5

Yes, I've got my stuff as well offline on the iPad.

But if you have it downloaded or not makes no difference at all in the apps behavior: You can open one note at a time, you can work on it one note at a time, and once you open another one, the one before is saved away and no longer available. Operations like merging notes, tagging a group of notes in one go or move a bunch of selected notes around are not possible. 

This makes all organizational jobs on the iPad cumbersome or even impossible.

• 6 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 5:39 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can insert a table on iPad, but you need to activate this in your settings:

Go to settings. Pick the „notes“ submenu. There pick the first item in the list, for the advanced options (translated from German, somit may be titled differently - but it is the first of the options in the „notes“ submenu). Then go down the list of options til the last one.

If you enable it, you can introduce a new table by introducing the right number of [ ] - brackets. Each pair stands for another column.

To get a new row, just press <tab> in the last cell of the last row of the existing table.

The feature is quite rudimentary, but at least you can get a table into a note if you really want to, and use it on the iPad.

Thank you... this solved my issue.  Now I can add a table using Evernote on iPad.

Mostly paperworks I have. In resent years, most of my home working (easy jobs) can be done by my iPad. Only Evernotes on my iPad cannot satisfy my needed. 

Some of the simple needs, like moving attachments from one note to another, merge notes, 2 notes comparing, are very difficult on iPads. 

Start from beginning, simplified version on iPhone or weaker Pad is acceptable. However, the performances of iPad is not so weak now. It is time to make it stronger. 

The most terrible is the competitors are become stronger and stronger. But we get nothings or any good news from any channel about the future of EN.  As a paid user for many years, please don't let us down or let us run away from YOU,

• Like 2