Evernote reserves/locks Windows folders unnecessarily

I noticed today a possible bug. When I add file attachments to Evernote from folders of my computer, Evernote locks/reserves that Windows folder "permanently". Even if I close Evernote, this folder-lock is kept. When folder is locked, I am unable to delete or rename the folder. Only way to progress, is to open Windows task-manager and kill all Evernote processes or restart the computer.

I hope this could be fixed. Evernote should release the folder-lock after file attachment is added to Evernote.

Using: Windows 10 pro + Evernote 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've not been aware of Evernote locking Import folders,  but I use them in a slightly different way - there are several on my desktop linked to different notebooks within Evernote.  I simply drag and drop files into those folders when I'm ready to save files to Evernote.  Typically,  this will be scanned PDF files where I've edited the name or contents for some reason.  Can you explain a little more why you'd need to delete or rename an import folder?

When you say add attachments, do you mean like gazumped is implying above (import folders), or using the file selection dialog? In the first case, EN must "lock" the directory or it can't watch it. In the 2nd, I'm going to guess that the file selection dialog changed the current working directory.

Thanks for replies! I got documents saved in harddisk and moving them to Evernote for better usability. Sometimes have them also in memory sticks, etc. When they're in Evernote, no more need them in hardisk.

This how to reproduce in Evernote Windows:

1. + New Note

2. Attach file (icon) or Attach files (File menu) from a folder in harddisk or usb-memorystick

3. When note is ready, close Evernote

4. Folder can't be deleted or memorystick can't be removed as they are locked/reserved by Evernote (for no reason)

5. Kill all Evernote processes and now deleting folders and ejecting sticks becomes possible

This doesn't disturb me a lot as I don't do this very frequently, but I liked to report it here if this could get fixed...

image.png.f44ec16bec0c367f0d5069188672d347.pngimage.png.17aeb4e50743958a8ed421de49676f50.png

• Level 5*

Curious. I was able to replicate the behavior when attaching a .jpg file on a USB memory stick. So I pulled up the SysInternals ProcMon tool, and watched what Evernote was doing when I repeated the scenario. I could see it locking and unlocking my local .exb database file (LockFile() and UnlockFileSingle() Windows calls), but no other file, in particular the file I was attaching.

With respect to the file being attached, I see it referenced in a CreateFile() call, with access Generic Read, disposition Open. So it's opening the file to read it. After that, it performes a CloseFile() call on that file. That seems to be correct behavior. There are also some calls to CreateFile/CloseFile the directory that the file is in, but those also seem balanced.

I'd have to look more closely to see if there's something else going on, but the scenario is repeatable. Flip side: when I went to eject it, I got the error, but there's also a "Continue" button, which I used: the device was ejected, with no apparent damage done to its file system.

• Level 5*

Also able to replicate the behaviour attaching a file from a local folder.  Windows couldn't delete the folder afterward because it was 'in use' despite the fact I closed the note and opened another.  Don't see that as a major issue because I can't imagine a scenario where deleting a parent folder just after attaching all the contents in Evernote would be something I ever need to do,  but it does seem locked up.  I closed Evernote and then the folder could be deleted.

I'm pretty sure when the attach dialog is used, that it is changing the current directory. This effectively leaves "locks" that directory. I also suspect (but can't test - gotta get to work!) that if you were to attach a file from a different directory that the lock would be released.