(Archived) font problem / missing font inside document

evermullah

Idea

hi all,

the font "courier new" is used in the note, but is not displayed in the pulldown menu if i want to use it on the same note again. i do not understand, why.

here, the focus in the note was on the text with the font "courier new"

8p2s-5m.png

here, the focus was on text which i would like to apply the "courier new" font to.

8p2s-5l.png

but the "courier new" font is missing, somehow.

why?

8 replies to this idea

The simple drop-down menu just displays a small set of "web" fonts. You can see a larger list if you right-click and bring up the detailed font window.

it took a while, before i understood, to right-click inside the note, then choose "Font" in the context-menu, and then "Show Fonts".

Same as CMD+T :-)

anyway,

please consider to make it easy for the user and include *all used* fonts inside the note into the dropdown menu.

you make a selection right now, otherwise i couldnt see "Courier New" in the dropdown when focus is *on* the text which is already in "Courier New".

if the font *is* used already, why not include it always in the dropdown?

choosing the correct font, as you suggested, from a list of maybe hundred of fonts is quite ... it takes too long.

Seconded. I type a lot of code into notes, and want it to show up in Courier New. I'd love to be able to specify which fonts show up in the small drop down, rather than having to hunt Courier New down from the hundreds of system fonts every time (even if I just used it a second ago).

On a Mac I have setup a font collection of just the fonts I use in Evernote, only amounts to 10, which is then quickly selected in the Fonts dialog box when I want to change fonts & saves me going through all of the fonts on my Mac. Saves a lot of frustration with the strange collection of fonts in the Simple font dropdown list especially the lack of Courier/Courier New for fixed pitch fonts & the the inclusion of 'Andale Mono' as the only fixed pitch font which I have never heard of & never used.

This font selection annoyance & that the Tab character is not really a Tab character are my main gripes with Evernote but it is far & away the best program for notetaking & keeping me organised over all my devices so many thanks to the team for that. Oh & it's really good having someone from Evernote answering the questions/queries on this User Forum really inspires confidence in the product.

On a Mac I have setup a font collection of just the fonts I use in Evernote, only amounts to 10, which is then quickly selected in the Fonts dialog box when I want to change fonts & saves me going through all of the fonts on my Mac. Saves a lot of frustration with the strange collection of fonts in the Simple font dropdown list especially the lack of Courier/Courier New for fixed pitch fonts & the the inclusion of 'Andale Mono' as the only fixed pitch font which I have never heard of & never used.

can you please tell us, how/where did you set up that font collection?

Hi evermullah

To make a font collection open the Fontbook application in your Applications folder. Click the File menu & select 'New Collection. Fontbook will then create a new 'Unamed Collection'. Change this to the name you want I used just Evernote.

Now click on the 'All Fonts' collection at the top of the left pane & then just drag & drop the fonts you want in Evernote to the Evernote collection. Close Fontbook when you have finished dragging fonts to it.

Open Evernote create a new note then Click the Format menu & select 'Show fonts' & under the Collections heading in the Fonts dialog box will be your Evernote Collection. Each subsequent time you show this dialog box in Evernote it will open with your collection.

It's really a shame that the font selection drop-down menu can't be customized to select better fonts without opening the separate system fonts window. Also, it appears that font smoothing seems to be disabled for some fonts below 11pt, which makes some font unusable below some arbitrary size (ex: Monaco 11pt looks great, Monaco 8pt is illegible due to no smoothing).

Any plans to improve font support in future versions?

Archived