Will I be able to scan to multiple computers with ScanSnap Home?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

My wife and I both use our Evernote Scanner. I use it on my Mac and she uses it on Windows. Whoever needs to scan just moves the cable over to their computer. After the firmware update scanning will only be wireless. Will we be able to control which computer gets the scans?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've not used the wireless connection so can't really comment on the access,  but will the scanner be saving to Evernote directly or to a folder on the respective hard drives?  If to Evernote,  then a login will be required...  Maybe another user can comment more helpfully.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

My answer is a cautious YES.

Why cautious ?

My setup is a standard ix500 (not the EN edition), and EN installed on a Win10-desktop plus on my MackBook Pro. All devices are in my home WiFi.

Scanning works to both computers, but to one of them only at a time. So I start the scanner, connect to it from the computer I am using at this moment, and do my scanning. When I pick a profile that has EN as target, it will send the scan right there and put it into a new note.

What I do not know is about switching computers during the scanning session frequently. I see no reason why it should not work, but have not tried. So maybe you and your wife have to communicate about who is going to „own“ the scanner link when.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Scanning works to both computers, but to one of them only at a time. So I start the scanner, connect to it from the computer I am using at this moment, and do my scanning. When I pick a profile that has EN as target, it will send the scan right there and put it into a new note.

What you describe sounds like the software equivalent of what we do by moving the cable, so that should work. We rarely need to scan at the same time so we can coordinate who runs the software. At least we will both be able to scan when we need to. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Sounds like it perf

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

My answer is a cautious YES.

Does it work like a wireless printer?  Attach and go, first come first served..

• Level 5

Practically yes. You switch the Scanner on, and it connects automatically (when set up correctly) with the WiFi. Now it is available for all connected Computers, and other devices like smart phones as well.To set up the WiFi, you have to connect the scanner with a computer by USB-cable.

The scanning connection is activated from the computer, where a piece of Scanner-SW is running. There you choose the profile (preinstalled, or you can set up several own profiles), which includes Simplex/Duplex, the scanning target (folder, Evernote etc.), the quality and if the OCR should be done locally. Then you hit the blue button at the scanner, and it will scan what is in the in tray, sending it to from where the last connection came. You can initiate the scan from the computer as well.

The Windows and the Mac software is different, in general the Windows SW offers more options.

There is another way, via an app installed on a smartphone.

And the Scanner can scan as well through a cloud service offered by Fujitsu. This runs via a smart device as well, by again another app.

For me, the direct scan into one of my computers and there into a new EN note is what I use the most.

For scanning via my iPhone, I use the internal camera and ScannerPro as app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the firmware upgrade today and got things working. I ended up doing things differently on the two computers. On my Mac I have things set up to put the scans into Evernote wirelessly via the cloud. My wife is  a minimal Evernote user, so I configured her connection to be wired with the USB cable and not using Evernote. She gets the standard set of  ScanSnap Home choices to save to a file, email, etc. We still have to plug and unplug the USB cable as one or the other of us scans, but at least now the cable just stays by her computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1