Code { } blocks annoyingly auto correct text

KelseyDH

Idea

I use Evernote extensively, but it's lack of good support for saving code snippets and scripts is infuriating.  When someone is writing within a { } code block, they are dealing with precise computer code not the human language.  Yet often when I try to modify or write any code within these blocks Evernote is unusable as it attempts to auto-correct and auto-format what I'm writing to fit grammatical mistakes.

To reproduce:

- Create a code {} block.  Inside the part formatted for code write something Evernote wants to auto-correct.  E.g.

pidport 

When you write this out Evernote will autocorrect it to "Purport".

I love Evernote, but if I ever leave the platform it will be because of its poor support for storing code.  I can't risk scripts I save in notes to be modified slightly and broken, from auto-correct.

The fix should be simple:  inside code { } blocks disable Evernote's auto formatting.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 12.07.07 PM.png

• Like 1

2 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

Hi @KelseyDH. Thanks for the feedback. This is an issue that has been addressed in the new editor that we're actively working on. The editor is able to distinguish code blocks as a unique object that should not have autocorrect applied to its contents. The new editor will be incorporated in all of our new clients that we are also actively working on. 

I'm sorry that I can't give you an immediate solution to this right now, but the issue will be solved as we rollout the new editor and clients.

• Level 5*
On 8/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, KelseyDH said:

I love Evernote, but if I ever leave the platform it will be because of its poor support for storing code.

I store code as plain text file file attachments.   

Storage within a note is problematic; starting with conversion to enml format