Alerts on Local Notebooks...

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*

Long story short I'm having a bit of a clear-out in my rather full database (47k notes) and moving away from having most of my note-eggs in one basket.  I've done several searches to bulk-move notes into new locations,  and it's just occurred to me that I have some notes in local notebooks - around 500 or so - that if I'm not very careful,  might get moved along with the rest.  They would go from an offline,  this-device-only notebook to a fully synced,  available to me from anywhere notebook - and that being in the Cloud,  it's a little bit more likely to be leaked.

Now my World Domination plans are still strictly on paper (and in crayon) so there's limited risk,  but I thought I'd try moving a note that I have selected from a local notebook into a synced notebook to check what alerts come up.  And the answer is - none.

So my proposal here is that notes saved in Local Notebooks need an additional "Are you sure?" alert before being moved out.

Users do put notes in local notebooks temporarily when they run out of upload allowance,  and then move to synced notebooks when the allowance reboots.  In those circumstances the nanny notice would seriously annoy me when moving in bulk,  so we also need the 'don't show this notice again' tickbox,  and an entry in Options/ Preferences to allow that to be toggled back as necessary.

I think this is a pretty important issue since my notes were offline for a specific reason and I do not want them in the cloud showing account numbers and sort codes.  I'll raise it with Evernote and post my ticket number here,  but meantime please be aware that notes in Local Notebooks look just like any other note - there's no highlight,  no alert or any other sign they're unusual. 

If you have local notes - take care they stay that way.  And please vote this issue - top left of the page!

Ticket #2893633

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

but meantime please be aware that notes in Local Notebooks look just like any other note - there's no highlight,  no alert or any other sign they're unusual. 

I'd suggest excluding local notebooks from searches; except -notebook is not valid

We can add a tag to local notes; -tag is a valid search option

>>Now as long as I remember to keep on applying that tag to all new local notes

fwiw   Notebook > Tag is a Filterize feature (third party app for auomation)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Yeah - thanks.  After some experimentation my local notes are all tagged "Local" and I set the style to bold and red so they come up in all views like this:

1733262190_ScreenClip1.png.84a9f6407bb0b6fd8b7768faf47594ea.png

Now as long as I remember to keep on applying that tag to all new local notes,  I should never be tempted to do anything rash...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yeah - thanks.  After some experimentation my local notes are all tagged "Local" and I set the style to bold and red so they come up in all views like this:

1733262190_ScreenClip1.png.84a9f6407bb0b6fd8b7768faf47594ea.png

Now as long as I remember to keep on applying that tag to all new local notes,  I should never be tempted to do anything rash...

This works, as you said, as long as you remember to do it but I would prefer the pop up warning as well.  My notes are in local notebooks for a reason.  Fortunately I rarely move notes.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

In those circumstances the nanny notice would seriously annoy me when moving in bulk,  so we also need the 'don't show this notice again' tickbox,  and an entry in Options/ Preferences to allow that to be toggled back as necessary.

That and a new  I don't care to be told when I am moving a note from local to synced checkbox.

Since I'm in Side List view all the time and I have so few notebooks, not much of an issue for me  I can sort by location and scan the list very quickly.  Something you might try as you move forward, assuming the mod isn't going to be in the near term.  You know how us FanBois are with workarounds.  ;)

Also, I have two stacks - EN Stack and Home Stack.  Setting the context to EN Stack solves the problem.  Unless I go stupid, which does happen from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Flip side of this is that moving a note *to* a local notebook from a synced notebook also doesn't get a notification, and that's inherently dangerous because now that note will not be synced to the Evernote servers.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, jefito said:

moving a note *to* a local notebook from a synced notebook also doesn't get a notification

Very good point!  What's the general feeling about maybe showing local notes with a different background colour or title style?  I'd like to be reminded I'm looking at an unsynced note whatever list view I've chosen,  and whichever window I'm looking at - list or note view.

Support kindly responded to my feedback to confirm they've passed the request and link to this thread on to the development team for consideration.  I'll relay any further details I get.