Inability to print or export multiple notes has me leaving Evernote

I've now tried multiple workarounds, including emailing multiple notes to myself, to try to solve this perplexing and fundamental failure in Evernote.  If I can't make multiple notes within a Notebook and then print them all out or save them to PDF, the program's raison d'etre is fundamentally flawed IMO.  When you create a Notebook, you want to be able to access the contents of THE NOTEBOOK, not just a single note.

In my case, I've been using Evernote to log important communications with clients on various topics, dates, phone calls, meetings etc.  I need a PERMANENT record of those communications.  Without the ability to get them out of Evernote, the program is useless to me, especially given the financial precariousness of the company.  If anyone can suggest alternatives, I'd be pleased to hear them.  Otherwise, I might just create a Word document and be save myself some money.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK the most basic print option is to select one or more notes and choose File > Print.  Notes can be sorted into 'page' order by creation date,  title or tag.  Can you explain in more detail why you're unable to print what you need?

30 minutes ago, mmmmisha said:

especially given the financial precariousness of the company

I'm shocked to learn this.  Where did you see this important information?

I'm sure my colleague advisors here will be able to comment on other ways to extract data from Evernote where necessary,  though I find an electronic copy of the data with daily backups is sufficiently 'permanent' for my business needs...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mmmmisha said:

If I can't make multiple notes within a Notebook and then print them all out or save them to PDF...

I can create multiple notes within a Notebook336930540_ScreenShot2019-08-06at17_23_56.png.ea5093b5334092a97285590cd9e30661.png

For a test, I selected 15 notes and print-to-pdf (File > Print)
Result: 15 pdfs - not clear why I want the pdfs

>> I need a PERMANENT record of those communications.  Without the ability to get them out of Evernote ...

I consider Evernote my "permanent record".  
I also have backups in html format using the export feature

No problem with "get them out of Evernote"
Using the above 15 notes; Right Click > Export

1549491105_ScreenShot2019-08-06at17_41_36.png.4f3beceb21b5e6c2e2e953a22543f474.png

>>especially given the financial precariousness of the company.

Please provide more details

>>Otherwise, I might just create a Word document

I recommend Word when word processing features are needed

I use the Evernote editor for basic notes (enml/html format)

@gazumped@DTLow Re "financial precariousness, see this June article in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/business/evernote-what-happened.html

If only I were able to print as easily as you.  When I select multiple notes to print from a Notebook, the print dialog that comes up shows only the number of pages in the first note.  Hence the need to print each note separately.   I cannot show you a screenshot without massive redaction to protect my client information -- you'll have to take my word for it.  I have also seen this documented elsewhere: 

As to permanent record, my organization require me to upload to their file system a record of important communications -- typically called a "comm log."  This can be in a number of generally recognized formats including PDF, Word, JPG, but .enex certainly isn't one of them and isn't going to be any time soon.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mmmmisha said:

This can be in a number of generally recognized formats including PDF, Word, JPG,

I'm guessing html export isn't acceptable ☹️

My organization thrives on Word format

Actually if I need Word format, I'm working with the Word app and storing the document as a note attachment

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

if I need Word format, I'm working with the Word app

Actually,  not a bad suggestion - a possible workflow in this situation could be: 

• Create client log in Word.  Attach to Evernote note for that client.  Print (from Word) if necessary then.
  • Edit Word document (or add a new one) on further contact.  Save back to note or attach new file.  Print etc.
  • To create a summary for this client,  export all attachments,  sort into date order and print. 
  • To create summaries for a group of clients,  export all attachments,  sort into client and date order and print.

(Haven't used the feature for a while,  but Word certainly used to allow several files to be grouped into one large file to be sorted -if necessary- and printed sequentially).

The NY Times article seems a bit ambivalent on the precariousness or otherwise of the company,  but using a third party app in the manner above makes the process transferable to any other note-taking application that might be available,  should the worst happen.

I appreciate that's not an answer to the current issue,  but it's a situation for which Evernote alone is not really suited.  Adding Word to the mix though,  means that Evernote's search features and general interoperability is added to Word's layout and print options.

@gazumped 

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I appreciate that's not an answer to the current issue,  but it's a situation for which Evernote alone is not really suited

I appreciate your Workaround, but Evernote's efficacy for me is its multiplatform syncing and ease of access "on the fly,"  which is not so much the case with Word.  Once I'm using Word, I might as well rely on Spotlight to find what I need.

My situation would be entirely suited by Evernote with the simple addition of the ability to print all notes in a Notebook.  I have no difficulty imagining that there are other perfectly mundane situations that would be equally suited by the simple ability to print all notes in a Notebook.  For example, I can easily imagine that a student taking notes on a class organizes all his notes into a notebook.  He wants to make a printed copy of his notes  so that he doesn't have to lug his laptop on vacation or view them on a screen.  Can he do that? Nope.  

This is a gigantic fail on Evernote's part, pure and simple.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, mmmmisha said:

When I select multiple notes to print from a Notebook, the print dialog that comes up shows only the number of pages in the first note.

Regardless, all selected notes are printed.  We do not have to print each note separately

>>He wants to make a printed copy of his notes  so that he doesn't have to lug his laptop on vacation or view them on a screen.  Can he do that? Nope.  

Incorrect - all selected notes are printed

>>I just tried that on my Mac and the result was only one PDF file with one of the three notes I selected... Any thoughts on why we are getting different results?2047044028_ScreenShot2019-08-08at18_31_35.png.86c64858676be55334031acd45d07234.png

To confirm that you selected three notes, you see a box indicating multiple notes

>>Yep, I see that. Then I go to File --> Print Notes. The print preview screen only has one of the three notes displayed.

Correct, and printing repeats automatically for each selected note

I directed the print-to-pdf files on my desktop

>>I am not sure what you mean by saying printing repeats automatically for each selected note. Are you saying I need to go to File —> Print Notes multiple times?

I select the notes, and File > Print

Yes, the preview window shows the first note

I select pdf and multiple pdf files are produced, one for each note

>>Hmm, that is exactly what I do but only one PDF file is created. When you select save as PDF, do you give it a file name? What are each PDF files you see named?

I only get one chance to enter a filename, and end up with test.pdf test2.pdf test3.pdf ....

•  
On 8/6/2019 at 7:18 PM, DTLow said:

For a test, I selected 15 notes and print-to-pdf (File > Print)
Result: 15 pdfs - not clear why I want the pdfs

Hi DTLow, I just tried that on my Mac and the result was only one PDF file with one of the three notes I selected... Any thoughts on why we are getting different results?

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

To confirm that you selected three notes, you see a box indicating multiple notes

Yep, I see that. Then I go to File --> Print Notes. The print preview screen only has one of the three notes displayed.

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Correct, and printing repeats automatically for each selected note

I directed the print-to-pdf files on my desktop

I am not sure what you mean by saying printing repeats automatically for each selected note. Are you saying I need to go to File —> Print Notes multiple times?

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I select the notes, and File > Print

Yes, the preview window shows the first note

I select pdf and multiple pdf files are produced, one for each note

Hmm, that is exactly what I do but only one PDF file is created. When you select save as PDF, do you give it a file name? What are each PDF files you see named?

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

227424039_ScreenShot2019-08-08at19_25_58.png.c43766bf9c3647670d0a081b20c1f713.pngI only get one chance to enter a filename, and end up with test.pdf test2.pdf test3.pdf ....

Yep, exactly what I am doing, still getting one file. I did notice it looks like Evernote is trying to print three times. The screen slightly showed another progress bar two more times. It was hard to see since it happens so fast, but for some reason it doesn't print the other two notes.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, regression said:

I did notice it looks like Evernote is trying to print three times. The screen slightly showed another progress bar two more times. It was hard to see since it happens so fast, but for some reason it doesn't print the other two notes.

You might try print pdf to Preview and see if multiple tabs are opened

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

You might try print pdf to Preview and see if multiple tabs are opened

Ah, when I selected preview it opened three windows, one for each note... That will work for a few notes, but I was hoping to export a notebook at a time, which wouldn't be practical to open each note in a separate preview windows, then save as PDF.

Still not sure why me printing is different than your setup, but at least I have a work around.