Timeline View feature

Hung Nguyen

Idea

Hi Developers,

I am doing research in history. So I have photos, articles, newspapers, ... but I would like to arrange them by real date event, for example, date taken of photos or date written of articles or announcement from long time ago (like in WW2) in a timeline. This would help me a lot with providing a logical view and think about how things work, and with "investigation" as well.
The timeline could be vertical or horizontal but it should be organized by time. Can be zoom in and zoom.
Please refer to this link to have the idea: https://timeglider.com/widget/index.php

So I think a "Timeline View" would be a very useful feature for those who are doing research or investigation.

Thank you in advance,

Manh Hung Nguyen

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Aspect said:

or Integrated Spreadsheet

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting button at the top left corner of the discussion

Integrated Spreadsheet would be a different request
My work-around is to export data to a spreadsheet app (Apple Numbers)
I use a script (Mac); but copy/paste also works

• Level 5*

I think you need a thrid party solution to provide your timeline
Evernote is a more generic product; a set of notes listed in various sequences1134929866_ScreenShot2019-08-07at12_45_35.png.46c06ddbf81ce2d0148cc534d018e982.png

fwiw  I have a Timeline tag, and adjust the create date to control the sequence

On 8/5/2019 at 1:03 AM, Hung Nguyen said:

So I think a "Timeline View" would be a very useful feature for those who are doing research or investigation.

A TimeLine View, or Integrated Spreadsheet, Option would be most useful to a lot of EN users, not just Researchers. And it's something that a lot of EN competitors /alternatives are already offering (eg. Notion/So). Very much hope this functionality is being considered & developed. Imho - It would add some valuable, additional utility to En.

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

My work-around is to export data to a spreadsheet app (Apple Numbers).

I use the same workaround, but it's a process every time. And of course it's not live /bidirectional, so there's additional effort required with any EN edit. 

... And yes, TimeLine and Spreadsheet are different Views - but quite similar in Methodology. Let's hope the EN developers are interested.