How Did It Happen??? A Beautiful Web-Clipped Dark'ish Mode Note

EN-SCREENCAP-AUG-2019.thumb.png.77f0f81a2ee1e3b1d6629621d3b99d4e.png

I'm using EN for Windows 6.18.4.8489 (308489) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) on a Win10 laptop.

I was just doing some work on MS-Excel, and consequently working on some EN Notes contained in my MS-Excel Notebook, when I discovered a note I had clipped last year in April 2018.

The note caught my attention, as it looked great, and has a really easy-on-the eyes nice background colour to it, plus is left aligned, which I prefer to the standard centre text alignment I get using 'simplified article' web-clipper feature. 

It appears to have been clipped using EN Web-Clipper 'Simplified Article' feature (I always use Chrome Browser) but I just don't know... maybe I clipped it from an iPad or Android... who knows... anyone?

I click the URL again, to see if I could reproduce the result using web-clipper-Chrome... but that failed.

My only other thought is that maybe I used some Chrome Extension to 1st make the web-page easy to read, and then web-clipped it from there...I just don't know... 

Having something easier on my eyes is a big deal for me so any ideas or how-to's, are very much welcomed and appreciated, cheers.

• Level 5

Maybe the grayish stuff is the natural HTML background color of the website clipped. Then it should be embedded somewhere in the HTML code. I am not deep enough in this to tell where. But opening the HTML-code and look it up may discover something.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Having something easier on my eyes is a big deal for me so any ideas or how-to's, are very much welcomed and appreciated, cheers.

Following up on @pinkelephant's post, the base format of our notes is enml/html,
a simple code that defines items like text, alignment and background colours

On Macs, we have access to the actual content.enml file and can view/edit it with a text editor app.
On Windows, we have to export the note to a .enex file

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

On Macs, we have access to the actual content.enml file and can view/edit it with a text editor app.

So if I understand you correctly, you are then able to edit the background colour of any note easily... is that right?

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

On Windows, we have to export the note to a .enex file

If yes to the the above, then does the same ability exist to edit the .enex file (using a text editor) in order to change background colour???  Many Thanks... and I will export a note to an enex.file now to also attempt what you have shared...cheers

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

So if I understand you correctly, you are then able to edit the background colour of any note easily... is that right?

Yes, I'd have to figure out the proper coding and make sure Evernote accepts it

Possibly look at the code behind your note and you tell us the code

To be honest, I usually work in a table; this allows setting of the background colour using the Evernote editor

>>If yes to the the above, then does the same ability exist to edit the .enex file (using a text editor) in order to change background colour?

Yes, after editing the .enex file, import it.

I was getting excited for a minute there @DTLow 

I exported the .enex file - of one note

I opened this note with 'Notepad++'

Did a Find CTRL+F on the word 'back' for background... and found where the background color piece of RGB code was

I changed it to 229, 229, 229

saved and closed

Opened it again to see if my changes were recorded - yes they were

Imported the .enex file back to EN

Opened the Note

BUT........  No change 😞 

hold the phone, "background" appears in many places in the code - need to try again and make sure I'm changing the right 'background' to effect note background color - will try now

Arrrggghhh...forget that!  Too hard.  The 1st Note I exported to an .enex file was a large note and so the code was really long and "background" appeared in many places...was going to take a long time

So I created a new EN Test note, with just a title, and one line of text - then synced - then exported... thinking the code would be much smaller...and indeed it was.

But when I opened it with Notepadd++ text editor, their was no background-code found in the code... so I will give in at that point.  Thanks all the same

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

Arrrggghhh...forget that!  Too hard. 

Ok, how about working in a 1 cell table.  You can set the background colour

Yeah I do use tables a lot, and a big part of the reason why, is for the ability to edit background colour.  Ideally it would have been awesome if i could have quickly edited the note as per your advice above... sera sera.  Just random pot luck that that note, I attached above, looked so great... cheers again

13 hours ago, RavBoy said:

hold the phone, "background" appears in many places in the code - need to try again and make sure I'm changing the right 'background' to effect note background color - will try now

Treat it like a web page. How do you set the background color when authoring an html page? (I don't know - I'm a C++ programmer! I stay away from web stuff!)

And in case EN does do something funny with that, author a webpage with a background and import that (via web clipper) and see what the enex looks like...

• Thanks 1