We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×

why can't we paste an image?

Hello. I have a feeling we are in a web 2.0 era for many years now, so why is it such a problem for evernote web client to handle basic operation like paste an image? Taken by windows snipping tool for example? I have to save it as file, browse for it and insert it. That takes long time.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, McVitas said:

Hello. I have a feeling we are in a web 2.0 era for many years now, so why is it such a problem for evernote web client to handle basic operation like paste an image? Taken by windows snipping tool for example? I have to save it as file, browse for it and insert it. That takes long time.

Hi.  Which web client are you dealing with?  There's currently an old version,  a newer one,  and a brand new Beta.  The thing is being updated,  so you should see some changes this year...

• Level 5*

Don't think the beta has a copy/ paste option yet.  Actually I was sure that one of the versions did,  but after a quick test it appears that none do as yet.  Like you,  I tend to use the 'save to desktop' option and upload it from there.

• Level 5*

I tried the beta and the classic web versions (not the old old version). I found that if I copied an image from a web site or using the Evernote screen clipper, I could paste into a note  in both versions. But if, from Explorer, I right click on an image and select "Copy", that will not paste in either version. Using the ClipSpy clipboard utility, I can see that the clipboard contents are different in kind. The copy from File Explorer doesn't appear to have the image bits; it uses a reference to the original file. Copying from a web site or via an Evernote screen clip does have the image bits on the clipboard.

• Level 5*

How about copying between notes in Evernote?  I never had a special need to make the process as efficient as it could be,  but right-clicking a web image (in Windows) gives me a drop-down that includes "Clipper > clip image to Evernote".  If you get that image into a note,  could you then copy/ paste between notes?  Since it's not possible to select multiple notes in (some?) web client versions,  merging is not possible,  but note links or title and tag keywords could be used to keep the content together.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, McVitas said:

yes it is possible to right click - copy some image already in evernote web note and right click - paste into another note.

So at least you have an easy way to clip images into separate notes,  even if there may be a need to tidy up afterwards...

• Level 5*
On 8/2/2019 at 3:42 AM, McVitas said:

Jefito really? What about windows snipping tool? Please try that.

This works fine. I use it fairly often. Just checked again, to make sure: it worked.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:42 AM, McVitas said:

By copying image from file explorer you mean click on a file icon and copy? I wouldn't expect this to copy an image ...

I would. That works fine in, say, MS Word, and also the Evernote Windows application.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing. I use the installed client on my Mac - it is no problem either to drag and drop a picture into a note, or to right-click, copy and then paste.

Even better (because it has more options and lets you tailor the note it will create) is using WebClipper, if you want to get more content.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for sharing. I use the installed client on my Mac - it is no problem either to drag and drop a picture into a note, or to right-click, copy and then paste.

Even better (because it has more options and lets you tailor the note it will create) is using WebClipper, if you want to get more content.

We are talking about web client here. The app is better of course, but it's not always available if you are on a different PC for example.

• Level 5*

Isn't this thread solved? I can drag and drop into a web note,  and download image easily from a web note...  (it depends on which version of the web app you're using,  of course...) - but what exactly is missing now?

• 9 months later...

My flow is next, press printscreen, it launches lightshot, I am select the screen I want and press ctrl + c. After this I can insert the image with ctrl+v in some programms, f.e. in skype or in slack, or in ms word, however it is impossible to paste it with ctrl+v into evernote. I found this feature, to create paste screen whenever I want with just ctrl+c, ctrl+v, extra comfortable, and think it would a great improvement to implement it in evernote as well.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It sounds like Lightshot presents its image in a format that Evernote doesn't recognise.  I've used several other browser add-in screen shot apps which do work with Evernote,  so it's not a bug of some sort- it's probably a glitch with Windows clipboard.  You may find that pasting into Word (or any other receptive app) and then copy and pasting from there will give you the image.  -And if these images are from other applications or web pages,  Evernote has some built-in clipper / screenshot tools of its own...