I can't delete a notebook online or on the desktop version

Idea

I'm trying to clean out my Evernote account and get rid of notebooks and stacks I don't use anymore. I have tried multiple times to go over to the notebook list, highlight the notebook I want deleted, then go to the 3 dots on the far right of the notebook line and select "delete" from the dropdown menu. I've done this on both the online and desktop version. All I get is an error message in a red box that says "failure to delete the book". I chose to discontinue my premium account. Is this Evernote's way of punishing me for choosing to go back to basic? Is there any way to control my notes and notebooks on this app?

Evernote Delete 1.JPG

Evernote delete 2.JPG

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, shastonwrites@gmail.com said:

Is this Evernote's way of punishing me for choosing to go back to basic? Is there any way to control my notes and notebooks on this app?

Doubtful -- they are not out to punish anyone who chooses to use their Basic services (else why would they offer it?). It's probably that somehow, the action of deleting a notebook in your case somehow involves syncing a note that's >25MB in size, which runs afoul of the the Basic account's maximum note size limit. Not sure why that is, and it's always possible that it's a bug. 

If you can identify the note, try deleting it directly. Or try moving it to a different notebook and see whether that triggers the same message. Alternatively, try selecting all of the notes in the notebook, and delete those. No guarantee any of these will work, but they're worth trying.

Aside from that, your Basic account limits your direct support options (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/527-customer-supportbilling/), but you could also upgrade to Premium for a month, and do your cleanup, then drop back to Basic. I've heard that support folks sometimes do that gratis as a matter of course for certain problems.

• Like 1