Sorting table columns

• Level 5*
Is there any way to do this?

Not In Evernote, no.

You could try copy/pasting the table into a spreadsheet, sorting there, and then pasting over the original on in your note.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, hfeddema said:

I pasted the table into an Excel worksheet, and tried to sort it by the first column, but got this odd error message:

I have no problem copying a simple table and sorting in a spreadsheet
Merged cells do cause a sorting problem

If you post an enex export of your note, we can test it further

• Thanks 1

I didn't merge any cells -- just created a new worksheet and pasted the Evernote table into it.  But I looked closely at the table, and I saw that there was an extra row between two rows of text, which starts at column 3, so apparently somehow it got merged when pasting the table.  I tried sorting again, but got the same message, so I looked again, and found several more rows with merged cells, and fixed them, and then finally I was able to sort.  It worked, except for two unsorted rows at the top (no, they didn't have spaces in front of the words).  I retyped the content of those rows at the bottom, and deleted the two unsorted rows at the top, and then finally I was able to get the whole table sorted.  I deleted the original Evernote table, and pasted in the sorted one, so now I have a sorted table.  This whole process is quite time-consuming, so I think that I will just insert a row at the right place when adding new rows in future.

It would be a lot easier if there was a native sort in Evernote.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I agree.  I've had to use Evernote to manage projects.  Each project has multiple criteria by which I should be able to sort. (numerically, alphabetically) per column.  It would also be extra icing on the cake if tables could have collapsable sections.   Or if you created a new table header <th> cell under which <td> cells could be sorted or collapsed/accordion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I also agree 100%. I used Evernote for ALL my notes such as current information on new client where there is a ton of info.

Right now I want to have a glossary of terms and words in Evernote and appear to be able to do this through a table, but cannot sort the table! Grrrr.

For now I will have to try the copy/paste between Excel - but not ideal at all!

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 6:11 AM, hfeddema said:

I pasted the table into an Excel worksheet, and tried to sort it by the first column, but got this odd error message:

Evernote-Excel error.jpg

When you copy/paste into excel for sorting, there is a way to eliminate the merged cell problem:

1. Copy/paste data into excel. After you paste, the pasted data should already be highlighted, or you can highlight the whole sheet or just the cells you want to sort. Either way, the merge & center button should light up indicating that there are merged cells in your selection.
  2. Click the merge & center button and it should unmerge the merged cells
  3. Highlight again as appropriate for your sorting needs and sort

Worked for me. Hope it helps others as well.

• Like 1