Evernote for Windows 6.20 beta 1

Iriska

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.20 beta 1. Its available here!
What’s in 6.20 Beta 1:
New:
* Import now allows multiple enex files to be imported (or automatically import entire sequence)

Fixed:
* Links to Google drive documents created in 6.19 GA on Win client do not work in Web client 
* Typing in newly created shared note body removes cursor focus and deletes typed text
* Edits made on a large note in a separate window are not saved
* Fixed an issue with attachments not being saved sometimes when created in large notes in new window

• Thanks 2
  • Iriska pinned this topic

Why does 6.19.2 often collapse? Especially when some other software is opened. It seems that the memory occupation of this version needs to be optimized (The last Windows version does not have this problem). And sometimes it will also collapse when no other software is open. 

Edited by ShawnLau
More details about the problem.
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, viveknz76 said:

The checklist I created in the beta editor of the web version looks like this in the desktop version (Windows)

image.png.ec6762838296321a71d2581cb3d172a4.png

At a guess, the Windows beta doesn't yet correctly handle the markup that's used by the web beta editor to encode the new check lists.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, ShawnLau said:

Why does 6.19.2 often collapse? Especially when some other software is opened. It seems that the memory occupation of this version needs to be optimized (The last Windows version does not have this problem). And sometimes it will also collapse when no other software is open. 

The recent versions (including 6.19.2) of Evernote have been stable for me in general, one or two unexplained shutdowns over the last 6 moths or so, running with daily use on two different desktop machines. I'm not seeing any kind of memory usage problems either, as reported in Process Explorer.

If things are different on your machine, more detail about what you're seeing can help Evernote staffers to help isolate problems.

• Level 5

Just 5 days between the beta 1 Windows version and the full blown public release?

* July 23 - Today we released Windows 6.20 beta 1. 

* July 28 - Let's update your app. A new version is available 6.20.2 Public (3008626)

I am used to seeing Evernote generate some conversation and feedback as the beta versions are tested on and then updated with corrections. 

I realize some will think this is a can't win request. Too slow = complaints and now Too fast also generates concern. I prefer to have the heavy-weight users put a few weeks of time and effort into refining the betas so that the public version is rock solid.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, OrbWeaver said:

Well, it no longer inserts an extra line when you "Paste and match style." It now inserts TWO extra lines. Sorry, but that's not my style. It's back to 6.16 again.

I didn't see it inserting any extra / unexpected lines, when I tried it out. Might want to narrow down the scenario where it does for you; that can really help the testers / developers.

I'm so disappointed in the latest update.  The best feature is gone. That's the check box  bullet that strikes through a task upon completion.  I just downloaded the newest beta and it looks like the original.  My old beta icon was blue. My new icon is green. I don't think I'm on beta... can anyone help me and tell me what's going on.

I'll back up. This morning when I went to Evernote i got an error message that I couldn't open the page. After numerous attempts, I uninstalled it. When I reinstalled it looks completely different.  What's up?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ellen@ellenfaye.com said:

I don't think I'm on beta... can anyone help me and tell me what's going on.

Go to Help / About..., and copy the version text from the About dialog. My version is "6.20.1.8610 (308610) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)". The "Prerelease" bit means "beta".

I'll back up. This morning when I went to Evernote i got an error message that I couldn't open the page. After numerous attempts, I uninstalled it. When I reinstalled it looks completely different.  What's up?

Not sure what you mean by "page". Are you using the web version, or the native Windows application?

I'm so disappointed in the latest update.  The best feature is gone. That's the check box  bullet that strikes through a task upon completion.  I just downloaded the newest beta and it looks like the original.  My old beta icon was blue. My new icon is green. I don't think I'm on beta... can anyone help me and tell me what's going on.

Were you on the "web wrapper" beta app perhaps?  That's what it sounds like if you had a blue icon at one point.  I have over 50,000 notes and that 'web wrapper' application was useless to me although I did try to use it.   What you likely ended up downloading now is the native windows desktop application instead (there are beta versions for that as well as the actual release versions).  This would also explain your couldn't open "page" error you mention (being on the web wrapper app).   Like @jefito says, post what you've got for a version number and someone can clarify. 

On 7/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, jefito said:

I didn't see it inserting any extra / unexpected lines, when I tried it out. Might want to narrow down the scenario where it does for you; that can really help the testers / developers

Here's the problem. I snipped a few bits of the screen to show what it does. The first image shows what I start with. The second shows my selection of the middle 5 characters and the third shows what happens if I do a Ctrl-C (copy) followed directly by a Ctrl-Shift-V (paste & match style). I was pretty sure the thing started out all on one line but my poor eyes now seem to see more than one line. If the general opinion is that the 15 characters are still all on a single line as they started out I'll get new glasses.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

Here's the problem. I snipped a few bits of the screen to show what it does. The first image shows what I start with. The second shows my selection of the middle 5 characters and the third shows what happens if I do a Ctrl-C (copy) followed directly by a Ctrl-Shift-V (paste & match style). I was pretty sure the thing started out all on one line but my poor eyes now seem to see more than one line. If the general opinion is that the 15 characters are still all on a single line as they started out I'll get new glasses.

You can keep your old glasses. I'm not sure what I tried to test this before, but that scenario definitely shows the same problem here, too, though that's not the extra two lines you mentioned before. Anyway, that's a pretty clear example, and I can't come up with a reason why the newline gets inserted in that case. I'd call it a bug, too.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

though that's not the extra two lines you mentioned before.

My screen in Windows shows AAAAABBBBB, followed by a blank line followed by the final 5 A's. Started as one line of 15 characters and now the count is a line of 10, a blank, and a line of 5. That's two returns to go from 1 line to 3. Or is my math as bad as my eyesight?

It may not be a problem for most people but cut and paste is a big part of what I'm doing and re-editing after every paste is a wee bit time consuming. After the first few hundred copy/paste operations it gets downright annoying. So, I'll be sticking with version 6.16.4, the last version that did the paste properly.

15 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

While I cannot reproduce that exact example, I thought the extra lines problem was a common occurrence during cutting and pasting, so I just kinda got used to the extra editing (a side effect of using beta versions too often, I guess). :blink:

Glad to know others recognize it as a bug.

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see in the image, there is a selected range of text (under my "reference" heading).

1) selecting a color at the point I have captured the screen you would expect to change the color of the highlighted text.  This sort of works as expected - with every color except black.  In which case, some lines remain green.

2) just noticed additional behavior - changing the color the highlighted text also changes colors of 'various' lines above (the red colored text was originally dark grey since I can't use black).

I'll stick with my dark grey colors to avoid the black problem, but someone might want to look further into this.

586230337_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.0a52ec575078ea58d3b872ec0db4a554.png

1 hour ago, ej8899 said:

As you can see in the image, there is a selected range of text (under my "reference" heading).

1) selecting a color at the point I have captured the screen you would expect to change the color of the highlighted text.  This sort of works as expected - with every color except black.  In which case, some lines remain green.

2) just noticed additional behavior - changing the color the highlighted text also changes colors of 'various' lines above (the red colored text was originally dark grey since I can't use black).

I'll stick with my dark grey colors to avoid the black problem, but someone might want to look further into this.

586230337_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.0a52ec575078ea58d3b872ec0db4a554.png

Do you have a screengrab of the black/green?  I'm only seeing a snippet showing the grey/red part of your comment.

Were all the items above your highlighted list grey before you clicked on the red?  Were the ones in that top list that did not turn red created at a different time than the highlighted and non-highlighted that did?  Or is there anything else you can think of that is different between the two sets of changed/not changed items in the top list?

Have you tried highlighting everything, clicking on a single color, and then highlighting and applying a new color to the highlights?  I don't know how this page is programmed, but I've certainly had similar issues in other software that were resolved this way (sometimes color, sometimes other formatting; I'm thinking about the loss of "reveal codes" when WP got phased out of common use.)

Also, is the line under "stocks" missing under the "st," or is that a glitch in the snip?

• Level 5*
On 8/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, OrbWeaver said:

My screen in Windows shows AAAAABBBBB, followed by a blank line followed by the final 5 A's. Started as one line of 15 characters and now the count is a line of 10, a blank, and a line of 5. That's two returns to go from 1 line to 3. Or is my math as bad as my eyesight?

Sorry, you are quite correct, and your eyesight and math are both fine as far as I can tell. Sorry to have missed your post (and my miscounting of lines); must have been having a bad brain day.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, amartya said:

hi there is some problem with Text alignment in beta version. there is no option to equalize all sentences in beta version. please rectify. thanks

By "equalize", do you mean "Justify"?

In the latest release, 6.20.2.8626 (there is no beta out currently as far as I can tell), there isw an option on the Align toolbar dropdown button called "Justify" that seems to work.

• Iriska unpinned this topic
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, amartya said:

Jefito Sir,

please have a look at this attached screenshot. there is no "justify" in this text Alignment  in the beta editor version. please rectify this. other than that, i love Beta editor.

In beta 6.21.1.8702 (308702) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.5.9981):

image.png.189e6968ea85d90285f3a976d8bda052.png

18 hours ago, jefito said:

In beta 6.21.1.8702 (308702) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.5.9981):

image.png.189e6968ea85d90285f3a976d8bda052.png

yeah. I have this  latest version but I am talking about new Beta editor which is used in Evernote web. they are currently unavailable on apps.

1 hour ago, amartya said:

but I am talking about new Beta editor which is used in Evernote web. they are currently unavailable on apps.

That would probably be the confusion - as this forum is for the Windows beta...

• Thanks 1