Search Improvements

mgomez

Idea

I have been using Evernote for some years now. I think one of the most important functions is Search. I keep using simple searches with some syntaxis but I would like to suggest a specific Menu be implemented, which would allow the selection/deselection of multiple notebooks and/or tags to facilitate the searching process. The use of syntaxis is cumbersome and prone to mistakes. Thank you,

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 7/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, mgomez said:

a specific Menu be implemented, which would allow the selection/deselection of multiple notebooks and/or tags to facilitate the searching process.

I added my vote1698177524_ScreenShot2019-07-17at19_25_16.png.1454ee5feadf8ce32f2f0f2653bda6cb.png
A search builder feature like on Evernote/Mac

After completing the parameters, save the search, apply a shortcut

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like saved searches would address your concerns for  selection/deselection of multiple notebooks and/or tags. 

Yes, syntax can be tricky, but once you get it right, you can save it for reuse.

Thanks for the comments.

The use of syntaxis is not very friendly in my mind, particularly with the range and number of tags and notebooks I have created over time. The addition of a "multiple-tag/notebook-selection-menu" would tremendously help.

DTLow - I understand Evernote/Mac has more advanced search features, but I use Windows.  

Don Dz - I have saved searches that help but cannot replace the requested function primarily because of the dynamic nature of most searches. I might not be a skillful user, but I find it almost impossible and very time consuming trying to anticipate all the options in tags/notebooks. I have added special characters (+ & $ #), keywords and numbers to better organize my notes which makes syntaxis even more complex. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mgomez said:

The use of syntaxis is not very friendly in my mind, particularly with the range and number of tags and notebooks I have created over time. The addition of a "multiple-tag/notebook-selection-menu" would tremendously help.

Evernote does not support multiple notebook searches, period, except in the case where you search a stack, which contains one or notebooks (and you can only search one stack at a time).. A query builder would be useful, but until such time as the underlying search syntax supports it, multiple notebook search won't work.