"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly

"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly...

It has been so annoying that this has still not been fixed. I have seen so many Evernote users reporting the same issue. Still not done. When will this be fixed? I have this stupid message popping up everyday repeatedly. Still no solution made. Please give the solution as this has been very frustrating to many. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/20/2020 at 11:37 AM, odoyle said:

this issue has been happening for this long with no fix??

Agreed, it is hard to understand why this issue has NOT been fixed six months after it was first reported.

Well, it's back for me AGAIN. It started on Jan 22. I checked, there has been no Evernote app update, so that kills my theory it was related to upgrading the app. On the 22nd, it crashed 7 times around 8:58 AM, and the 23rd it crashed 12 times around 8:58 - 8:59 AM.  It sounds like it might be tied to something happening around 9 AM?

PLEASE EVERNOTE WHY CAN'T YOU FIX THIS?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

For those of you on Twitter, I suggest a Twitter campaign to put pressure on Evernote to get this fixed.  I don't do Twitter or Facebook, or I would start it.

Can someone post here (to this web-forum thread) a list of weblinks to more-formal, posted/filed bugs (like to Evernote's formal bug-submission system/website?) or some sort of corrective-action requests (again, weblinks to something like "support tickets") created for this bug/issue/topic?

Edited by hydrostarr
clarifying: need weblinks to bugs/tickets systems
  • Level 5

As requested: I had the problem just for a short period of time, with Mojave, summer 2019. I got it fixed by completely uninstall EN from my MacBook Pro, using the app AppCleaner and thoroughly  check each position in the remove options list for removal. There is more below the visible window, so make sure you scroll down to the bottom and click on every item that is not already ticked off. Then I restarted my Mac, got the EN app fresh from the EN-website (not from the AppStore !), reinstalled, resynced, and that was it.

The problem did not come back, fingers crossed.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I got it fixed by completely uninstall EN from my MacBook Pro, using the app AppCleaner

Glad that it worked for you, but it did not for me, using a very similar procedure.

IAC, for those with a large number of Notes, that is not a very practical solution.

Obviously, the solution is for Evernote to focus on this for a bit and solve it.

Problem is on 6 Macs: different hardware, different OSes. Needs to be fixed by Evernote. The deinstall/reinstall doesn't work. Problm exists for months now and it seems the developer is on holidays.

I pay premium and at least there should be any reaction by the developer.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, hydrostarr said:

Can someone post here (to this web-forum thread) a list of weblinks to more-formal, posted/filed bugs (like to Evernote's formal bug-submission system/website?) or some sort of corrective-action requests (again, weblinks to something like "support tickets") created for this bug/issue/topic?

Is there a bug-submission process or webpage?

I see this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005377-How-to-submit-or-track-completion-of-a-bug

...which (maybe?) leads to this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Troubleshooting

...which does not appear to provide a means to submit a bug report.

Why is someone (an Evernote representative or general community member) not coordinating a list of formal bug reports for this issue?

• Level 5

Bugs are reported by issuing a support ticket. If EN is already working on an issue, support will often tell they know and are working on it.

As it is hard to tell when a bug-fix in itself is bug-free, they will most likely not tell in advance when a fix will be released. You find it sometimes in the release notes (mot every issue is mentioned there), and sometimes EN staff informs about a bug fix here in the forum.

...so do we have any support tickets references/numbers/weblinks (ANYTHING) to signify a formal request to and accountability from Evernote?

Anyone?

(This is my 3rd request on this point. No one has provided any references to such things. Does this mean no one has filed a support ticket, bug, or anything to submit a formal change request to Evernote?)

Seems to me without such things Evernote can blow off this forum topic for as long as they want. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining and not making a formal request.... if such things are productive?

To be clear: I'm a user experiencing this problem. I want it solved. I want to collaborate on a more-effective way to solve it. If Evernote has a process to solve these kinds a problems (its clear that discussion forum topics are not it), then let's leverage it. Why are we not?

Where's gazumped? Back in Sep 2019 he said "If they haven't fixed this within several weeks,  I'd be sure they're working very hard to understand why...". It's now Feb 2020. Is that long enough for "several weeks," and if so, can Evernote humor us with an explanation?

(I'm getting wordy and repetitive now in interest of motivating many users to coordinate and generate more-effective motion...)

• Level 5

As a "Premium" user sucker I've opened many tickets for this-

#2677016 - closed marked "solved" - 10/4/18
#2815722 - closed marked "solved" - 4/7/19
#2823619 - closed marked "solved" - 4/18/19
#2834216 - closed marked "solved" - 5/6/19
#2942201 - closed marked "solved" - 10/16/19

They all got closed within hours or days by level 1 "monkeys-for-hire" -- these are not even official EN staff, they are just some 3rd party subcontractors or volunteers, not even sure what to call them.

I gave up on support tickets a long time ago -- totally useless.

Evernote is on life support, I've been looking for a good alternative, sadly there just isn't one yet that ticks all my boxes.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, hydrostarr said:

Where's gazumped?

Hi there.  Pretty sure you normally need to say my name 3 times to get a prompt response,  but I'm afraid I'm just a user too.  Not even a Mac user,  so I have no personal involvement in the issue...  but you raise a good point:

6 minutes ago, hydrostarr said:

do we have any support tickets references/numbers/weblinks (ANYTHING) to signify a formal request to and accountability from Evernote?

My comment was made on the assumption that Evernote was being pelted with support requests,  and realised that this was an urgent issue.  Otherwise it's possible that they still don't even know that there's a problem.  While staffers do read these posts,  AFAIK there's no particular priority to it,  and any given topic might not get seen for months.

Any subscriber can raise a ticket,  and I'd suggest those with experience / logs / screenshots should do so (if they didn't already) and, as you suggest,  post the ticket numbers here.

Any non-subscriber with the above information can also join in - just send your reports to https://twitter.com/evernotehelps or pile in on the conversations at https://www.facebook.com/groups/evernotecommunity/

@luckman212 (who I've just seen) had the right idea - but at least I can flag this thread for an Admin (staff member) who can look at some real facts and -maybe- give you all an answer...

Meantime I'm really not averse to corporate-bashing when it's due,  so feel free to add your ticket numbers folks - the more the better...

I'm sorry this got long but here is a transcript of my chat with Evernote technical support today (2/7/2020):

you  6:05:02 pm
Evernote Spotlight Quit Unexpectedly is popping up on my computer several times a day and is a major topic in the Evernote User Forum. Is anything being done to resolve
jansen  6:05:14 pm
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. My name is Jansen and I'll be happy to assist you today. One moment please while I review your inquiry.
jansen  6:06:55 pm
I'm looking into this on my end now. I appreciate your patience, Deborah.
you  6:10:30 pm
Thank you
jansen  6:10:47 pm
I'm going to recommend that you rebuild your Evernote database using App Cleaner. I'm going to include steps for that below.
jansen  6:10:50 pm
I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here <url> Then follow these steps: 1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application 2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website <url>/ 3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app 4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window 5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, scroll down the list and select every single box for Evernote files. Afterwards, click Remove Please be sure to check all boxes in App Cleaner to remove Evernote, including "<url>" <url> 8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website <url>/ 9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder 10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
jansen  6:11:30 pm
The steps are a bit lengthy, so I'd be happy to send them to you via email as well so you can review them more closely.
you  6:14:43 pm
Why does this have to be done. I have ALOT of information saved in Evernote on my Mac and it's been talked about for over a year now. Why hasn't Evernote fixed this problem without having their customers have to jump thru hoops to make it work correctly
jansen  6:16:01 pm
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, Deborah. I'm more than happy to relay your feedback to our technical team, but as of now, this is the best process to resolve the Spotlight issue you're experiencing.
you  6:17:22 pm
I'm sure the technical team has been told MANY times about this problem with NO FIX! Does anyone go out and check Evernote User Forums to see all the issues and at least reply to people that something is being done
jansen  6:20:34 pm
We do have a team who monitors the Forums, but I'll be sure to run this by them just to be thorough.
jansen  6:20:38 pm
I can confirm that this issue is still open with development. In full transparency, this bug fix hasn't been prioritized yet because our developers are refactoring search. We're also busy fixing the basics in our editor and sync architecture, which will eliminate many of the bugs that have been around for a while, including this one. At this time our developers have had to prioritize fixes around other bugs that are heavily impacting most of our users. Regardless, I'll be sure to alert our engineers on your behalf. 
you  6:22:14 pm
OK I'll let other users know what you have told me because everyone feels no-one from Evernote is paying any attention at all
jansen  6:23:12 pm
I completely understand your frustration. Would you be able to share the Forum post to which you're referring? That was I can alert our Forum moderators to it specifically.
jansen  6:23:50 pm
*That way
you  6:25:28 pm
"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly By NSH, July 6, <num> in Evernote for Mac 
jansen  6:26:52 pm
That's very helpful. Thanks Deborah.
you  6:26:55 pm
You will also see a few people have tried what you have sent me and have not had success
jansen  6:27:53 pm
I understand. Those steps have worked in most cases in my experience, so I'd recommend giving them a try.
you  6:28:15 pm
It would also be helpful if an Evernote Moderator would reply in this forum
jansen  6:28:49 pm
I'll be sure to relay this to the team who manages the Forums.
jansen  6:29:04 pm
Is there anything else I can do for you in the mean time?
you  6:29:59 pm
no thanks - I will continue checking in the forum for comments
jansen  6:30:09 pm
If you have no further questions, you can exit this chat at any time. Have a great rest of your day.
Chat completed at 6:42:21 PM UTC

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, luckman212 said:

As a "Premium" user sucker I've opened many tickets for this-

#2677016 - closed marked "solved" - 10/4/18
#2815722 - closed marked "solved" - 4/7/19
#2823619 - closed marked "solved" - 4/18/19
#2834216 - closed marked "solved" - 5/6/19
#2942201 - closed marked "solved" - 10/16/19

They all got closed within hours or days by level 1 "monkeys-for-hire" -- these are not even official EN staff, they are just some 3rd party subcontractors or volunteers, not even sure what to call them.

I gave up on support tickets a long time ago -- totally useless.

Evernote is on life support, I've been looking for a good alternative, sadly there just isn't one yet that ticks all my boxes.

This note is particularly useful. Many thanks @luckman212.  Other replies here are also helpful, thanks all.

Could it be possible that Evernote, as a corporation, is past the point of effectivity for this issue?   (Given the above, one might reasonably question their entire support-ticket process in general - which might indicate poor general health of the corporation?)

Will there ever be an official response from Evernote on this topic -- from someone with sufficient capability and authority, like a Sr. Engineer, Product Manager, or Vice President?

• Level 5

Poor support rep, however ...

His pay is measured with a job description about giving polite and technically correct answers, and then he is forced into explaining company politics. This is for any decent engineer or technician more voodoo than you are normally willing to digest in a week.

22 minutes ago, DebbieJo said:
I'm sorry this got long but here is a transcript of my chat with Evernote technical support today (2/7/2020):

you  6:05:02 pm
Evernote Spotlight Quit Unexpectedly is popping up on my computer several times a day and is a major topic in the Evernote User Forum. Is anything being done to resolve
jansen  6:05:14 pm
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. My name is Jansen and I'll be happy to assist you today. One moment please while I review your inquiry.
jansen  6:06:55 pm
I'm looking into this on my end now. I appreciate your patience, Deborah.
you  6:10:30 pm
Thank you
jansen  6:10:47 pm
I'm going to recommend that you rebuild your Evernote database using App Cleaner. I'm going to include steps for that below.
jansen  6:10:50 pm
I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here <url> Then follow these steps: 1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application 2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website <url>/ 3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app 4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window 5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, scroll down the list and select every single box for Evernote files. Afterwards, click Remove Please be sure to check all boxes in App Cleaner to remove Evernote, including "<url>" <url> 8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website <url>/ 9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder 10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
jansen  6:11:30 pm
The steps are a bit lengthy, so I'd be happy to send them to you via email as well so you can review them more closely.
you  6:14:43 pm
Why does this have to be done. I have ALOT of information saved in Evernote on my Mac and it's been talked about for over a year now. Why hasn't Evernote fixed this problem without having their customers have to jump thru hoops to make it work correctly
jansen  6:16:01 pm
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, Deborah. I'm more than happy to relay your feedback to our technical team, but as of now, this is the best process to resolve the Spotlight issue you're experiencing.
you  6:17:22 pm
I'm sure the technical team has been told MANY times about this problem with NO FIX! Does anyone go out and check Evernote User Forums to see all the issues and at least reply to people that something is being done
jansen  6:20:34 pm
We do have a team who monitors the Forums, but I'll be sure to run this by them just to be thorough.
jansen  6:20:38 pm
I can confirm that this issue is still open with development. In full transparency, this bug fix hasn't been prioritized yet because our developers are refactoring search. We're also busy fixing the basics in our editor and sync architecture, which will eliminate many of the bugs that have been around for a while, including this one. At this time our developers have had to prioritize fixes around other bugs that are heavily impacting most of our users. Regardless, I'll be sure to alert our engineers on your behalf. 
you  6:22:14 pm
OK I'll let other users know what you have told me because everyone feels no-one from Evernote is paying any attention at all
jansen  6:23:12 pm
I completely understand your frustration. Would you be able to share the Forum post to which you're referring? That was I can alert our Forum moderators to it specifically.
jansen  6:23:50 pm
*That way
you  6:25:28 pm
"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly By NSH, July 6, <num> in Evernote for Mac 
jansen  6:26:52 pm
That's very helpful. Thanks Deborah.
you  6:26:55 pm
You will also see a few people have tried what you have sent me and have not had success
jansen  6:27:53 pm
I understand. Those steps have worked in most cases in my experience, so I'd recommend giving them a try.
you  6:28:15 pm
It would also be helpful if an Evernote Moderator would reply in this forum
jansen  6:28:49 pm
I'll be sure to relay this to the team who manages the Forums.
jansen  6:29:04 pm
Is there anything else I can do for you in the mean time?
you  6:29:59 pm
no thanks - I will continue checking in the forum for comments
jansen  6:30:09 pm
If you have no further questions, you can exit this chat at any time. Have a great rest of your day.
Chat completed at 6:42:21 PM UTC

Thank you @DebbieJo - quite illustrative.  😎

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Any subscriber can raise a ticket,  and I'd suggest those with experience / logs / screenshots should do so (if they didn't already) and, as you suggest,  post the ticket numbers here.

Thanks @gazumped. Given luckman212's and others' apparent experience, I'm demotivated (to submit/engage in official support requests). It seems like Evernote has scaled beyond their ability to support their user base.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just for information, I used to run a customer service team at an ISP, so I'm familiar with the conflicts that can arise. 

With absolutely no inside knowledge at all I can imagine that Evernote,  who have recently been talking about releasing a new version of every app they currently offer, are currently concentrating all their efforts on QA for the packages - including a new Mac client that includes a fix for this issue.  In that case it would be a waste of resources to try and apply their fix to an 'old' setup,  but they also can't release the new package until it's been tested,  and new bits of that package are not compatible with the old code.

That's 99.99% imaginarium,  but its the sort of thing I've had happen to me - in a former life I could not talk about the next version before its release,  but spent weeks being bad-mouthed by customers who were complaining about issues we had already fixed and would be sorted - as soon as some i's and t's could be dealt with.  Those last few steps were doozies.  🙄

Just sayin'...

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I completely agree (as a veteran of customer service wars as well), and these guy are often in a bind because they know something is wrong, they know things are worked on, but nothing ready to release yet, and their job is to calm down things just enough to buy time for the dev teams to finish work. If you are lucky you have a somewhat nasty but applicable workaround to offer.

So sometimes we should take a „no / not yet“ for what it is, even if this does not change our own situation as a user / customer.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, gazumped said:

Just for information, I used to run a customer service team at an ISP, so I'm familiar with the conflicts that can arise. 

With absolutely no inside knowledge at all I can imagine that Evernote,  who have recently been talking about releasing a new version of every app they currently offer, are currently concentrating all their efforts on QA for the packages - including a new Mac client that includes a fix for this issue.  In that case it would be a waste of resources to try and apply their fix to an 'old' setup,  but they also can't release the new package until it's been tested,  and new bits of that package are not compatible with the old code.

That's 99.99% imaginarium,  but its the sort of thing I've had happen to me - in a former life I could not talk about the next version before its release,  but spent weeks being bad-mouthed by customers who were complaining about issues we had already fixed and would be sorted - as soon as some i's and t's could be dealt with.  Those last few steps were doozies.  🙄

Just sayin'...

These are the minimal things needed out of a minimally-competent customer service in a situation like this:

1) an acknowledgement of the problem/scenario

2) some info (even a tiny bit) about their intentions (fix or not fix, waiting to see if new fixes it, etc etc).

However, Evernote is providing neither of these, nor anything else. Thus, the "burying their head in the sand" is simply causing more angst (and sometimes anger) from the user community, or at least from this user.

A simple little message like:  "We are aware of this problem but do not yet have a timeline for fix; we are focused on a major new release right now" would make all the difference for me, and I suspect many others.

This is not hard to do. But Evernote is not doing it. It's a bad, bad look for them.

Further, in regards to being an apologist (like gazumped's above msg) for this lack of simple communication: while I suspect it's well intended, this (the rationalization) also aggravates me -- possibly even more than I'm aggravated by Evernote's lack of customer-interfacing on this topic.

Evernote hopefully has deep pockets and some maturity. (Hopefully?) Not having someone manage these forums who has this bare minimum competence -- that, frankly, seems _really bad_.

It'd be helpful to know who's in charge of customer interfacing for this segment of the business. Can anyone share?

I thought I'd commented on this before, but perhaps it was on another thread. I'd been having this issue as well intermittently but repeatedly for a very long time, but it stopped quite a while ago, and I don't know what happened to make it stop. That suggests it may be environment-dependent and difficult to reproduce. I feel for those still experiencing it, because it was really annoying when it was happening, just wanted y'all to know it may not be a widespread experience.

• Like 2
On 12/28/2019 at 5:03 AM, NSH said:

I tried uninstall with App Cleaner, updated the OS, and reinstall, but happened again. So, I have no idea how bad this idea is, but I decided to remove this process manually. Since then, I've never seen the problem. Here is how to do that;

1. Run Terminal
  2. Type this command and enter

rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

Hope this helps you.

Just wanted to follow up on this post to confirm that this was the only thing that worked for me to get rid of the continual EvernoteSpotlight crashing. I performed this procedure on 1/13/2020, and as of today, have not had a single EvernoteSpotlight crash. Thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1

I had this problem last year.  The AppCleaner fix (checking all the boxes as suggested above!) worked for me for several  months.  Good !

But today, the problem came back. I got two "EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" messages in 2 minutes. 

I'm going to chime in on this topic because this problem has been bothering me for 2 years now. And I have very carefully followed the entire instructions on using App Cleaner to remove it and reinstall it, etc. In fact I've had to do that about 3-4 times now. It only works for a few weeks to maybe a couple of months and then the problem comes back. I don't know what triggers it to come back. 

I'm at a loss, because if I open another ticket with them, they're just going to tell me to do the exact same thing I've already done again and again. And yes, if I do that again, the problem will appear to go away. But for me it's always temporary.

It would be one thing if the error came up in the background just ONCE, but the error will pop up over everything else I'm doing, sitting on top of all windows, 5-6 times in a session, maybe once or twice A DAY! Even without the application running. It's like the thing is designed just to annoy you. I could be using my computer to record a presentation with a screenshare and BLAM! the error pops up and destroys the whole thing. 

I cannot live with this problem much longer. I am making designs to possibly switch to OneNote. Which I dread, because OneNote is hinged on OneDrive, and OneDrive is not my cloud solution (I use Dropbox and I have no intention of changing it). If both OneDrive and Dropbox are permitted on my computer the two start competing for system resources, so I prefer only one of these solutions. I exorcised OneDrive and iCloud from my computer a long time ago. Evernote has its own sync system that works pretty well and doesn't seem to cause me any problems. And I have a HUGE amount of data in Evernote. I really hate the idea of switching, but this bug is giving me no choice. They are not fixing it.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Symphonitron said:

I cannot live with this problem much longer.

I applied this fix, and I no longer get the error, and my Notes are still being indexed by Spotlight:

On 12/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, NSH said:

I decided to remove this process manually. Since then, I've never seen the problem. Here is how to do that;

1. Run Terminal
  2. Type this command and enter

rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

Actually, what I did was this:  I zipped and deleted the EvernoteSpotlight.appex folder:

/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I applied this fix, and I no longer get the error, and my Notes are still being indexed by Spotlight:

@JMichaelTX can you please share any detail of how you got Spotlight playing nice with EN on Catalina? I've tried "everything". All I can get it to display is a bunch of "snippet.txt" and "content.enml" results...

image.png.162f871e24bfe9fce31b077d77069231.png

The EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly Bug has been going on for months.

It even occurred with me on a NEW MacBookPro 16" 2019 with 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD with the only addition being a FRESH Evernote installation.

The problem is NOT with the Evernote application. 

The problem is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN

that is installed in Evernote itself. 

This is the piece of code that crashes.

----------

Evernote supports solution DOES NOT WORK.

They want you to completely deinstall Evernote and wiping out all traces and files of Evernote then

reinstalling Evernote and waiting for your own files to download to your Mac.

EvernoteSpotlight will still crash.

Their solution is not a permanent solution.

It does not answer nor eliminate why the EvernoteSpotlight crashes.

It is also UNTENABLE to repeatedly reinstall Evernote and its files particularly when you have a large database of Evernote files. This takes hours to download.

----------

SUSPECT CAUSE OF CRASHES:

I suspect the problem is that EvernoteSpotlight may be encountering certain PDFs that it chokes on when it tries to OCR them for searches.

A similar problem was crashing a different app called KeepIt - which has a similar function to Evernote but is a local Mac App what stores its notes on iCloud. 

KeepIt was trying to do OCR on PDFs so that it could do a Spotlight Search on the contents. But this function kept crashing.

I stopped KeepIt from doing OCR on PDFs (since I do OCR using a different App) and KeepIt has stopped crashing. 

If EvernoteSpotlight could just more elegantly abort OCR functions that fail and simply AVOID crashing the entire EvernoteSpotlight plugin, then this would get rid of the problem.

----------

The EvernoteSpotlight plugin has TWO SEPARATE FUNCTIONS:

1) SPOTLIGHT SEARCH: It apparently allows you to do Mac OS Spotlight Searches on Evernote's Contents stored on your Mac.

2) SHARE TO EVERNOTE: It allows you to Print PDFs to Evernote, Share PDFs to Evernote, Clip Web Content to Evernote.

I AM FINE WITHOUT SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES ON EVERNOTE.

But SHARE TO EVERNOTE is VITAL.

----------

The villain is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN that is installed within the Evernote App.

YOU CAN REMOVE IT MANUALLY TO STOP THE CRASHING.

Simply:

1. Select the Finder menu item "Go to Folder..."
2. Enter: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns
to directly go to the Evernote Plugins Folder
3. Then trash the EvernoteSpotlight.appex file

THIS STOPS THE CRASHING. 

HOWEVER LOSING THE SHARE TO EVERNOTE FUNCTIONS IS DEVASTATING TO THE EASE OF USE OF EVERNOTE.

I need to be able to Print PDFs to Evernote and to Share PDFs to Evernote.  

Otherwise, I have to print PDFs and manually drag them into Evernote. 

This is much more tedious and time consuming.

The crashing will stop when you trash the EvernoteSpotlight Plugin. And Evernote will itself run just fine.

Crashes will recur only when Evernote itself is updated and the EvernoteSpotlight Plugin is once again reinstalled.

IF SOMEONE COULD CREATE A SEPARATE PRINT PDF AND SHARE PDF PLUGIN FOR EVERNOTE 

and simply eliminate the EvernoteSpotlight plugin, 

this gets rid of this bug 

and solves the problem of crashes and will keep us all happy.

• Like 4

@marianco - this seems like excellent analysis, thank you _very_ much. I can not speak for others (of course), but if your assessment is generally correct, this helps me tremendously. I too can live without Evernote Spotlight but depend tremendously on "share to Evernote" feature. I hope a suitable workaround can be found.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:19 AM, marianco said:

1) SPOTLIGHT SEARCH: It apparently allows you to do Mac OS Spotlight Searches on Evernote's Contents stored on your Mac.

2) SHARE TO EVERNOTE: It allows you to Print PDFs to Evernote, Share PDFs to Evernote, Clip Web Content to Evernote.

I AM FINE WITHOUT SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES ON EVERNOTE.

But SHARE TO EVERNOTE is VITAL.

----------

The villain is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN that is installed within the Evernote App.

YOU CAN REMOVE IT MANUALLY TO STOP THE CRASHING.

Simply:

1. Select the Finder menu item "Go to Folder..."
2. Enter: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns
to directly go to the Evernote Plugins Folder
3. Then trash the EvernoteSpotlight.appex file

THIS STOPS THE CRASHING. 

@marianco I just tried this solution, to delete the EvernoteSpotlight.appex file. I am hopeful this takes care of the problem, as you said the Evernote solution is not permanent. It had been working fine for say the last 7-8 weeks, now the last two days I have gotten about 10 crashes again.

One point - you said this provides ability to Clip Web Content to Evernote - After I deleted the .appex file, I tried using Web Clipper in Safari on a Mac and it works! Is it still in memory or something? I'll try closing and reopening Safari and see what I find.

EDIT: Just closed and reopened Safari, Web Clipper/'Clip to Evernote' still works.

• Level 5*
On 2/27/2020 at 2:19 AM, marianco said:

The EvernoteSpotlight plugin has NOTHING to do with Evernote web clipping.  Please check your assertions BEFORE you post so others are NOT mislead.

I removed the EvernoteSpotlight plugin several weeks ago, and I continue to use the Evernote Web Clipper many times a day without any related issues.

• Level 5

You find my description in this thread:

On 2/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, PinkElephant said:

As requested: I had the problem just for a short period of time, with Mojave, summer 2019. I got it fixed by completely uninstall EN from my MacBook Pro, using the app AppCleaner and thoroughly  check each position in the remove options list for removal. There is more below the visible window, so make sure you scroll down to the bottom and click on every item that is not already ticked off. Then I restarted my Mac, got the EN app fresh from the EN-website (not from the AppStore !), reinstalled, resynced, and that was it.

The problem did not come back, fingers crossed.

About using the AppCleaner app, it is a very useful tool if you run a Mac. It let’s you decide whether to really wipe an app on deleting, or keep some stuff it put on the disc. Sometimes it is good to keep some parts of an install - in case of the EN cleaning, I would do a complete wipe. If one does not want to use it - we are free to do what we want, but no blames accepted. The thorough clean  needed here will not be done by the MacOS functions.

There are reports that even this procedure did not work, so probably there is yet another factor, like an app that I do not have installed, which is interfering.

The EN Mac team is said to be working on a fix that will be in the „major“ release we are all waiting for. I can wait, since the problem did not come back after I took my own medicine. I would follow the very same procedure with Catalina as I did with Mojave. Probably with Catalina the EN app will need some permissions after the new install, but this should be the only difference.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, JMichaelTX said:

The EvernoteSpotlight plugin has NOTHING to do with Evernote web clipping.  Please check your assertions BEFORE you post so others are NOT mislead.

I removed the EvernoteSpotlight plugin several weeks ago, and I continue to use the Evernote Web Clipper many times a day without any related issues.

That's true. Evernote Web Clipping is a SEPARATE Application on MacOS from Evernote Itself since Mac OS Safari has strict rules on Plugins. 

Using an AppCleaner to completely eliminate Evernote and its data (i.e. your notes and files on Evernote) then reinstalling Evernote doesn't work.

And it is very inconvenient if you have gigabytes of notes and files to download from Evernote.

-------------------------

To solve the problem, I bought a NEW Macbook Pro 16-inch with 64 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD with MacOS Catalina Preinstalled. 

I then installed Evernote as the FIRST new application installed on the Freshly Made Macbook Pro. 

Evernote Spotlight still crashes and repeatedly crashes.

This means Evernote support has NO CLUE why Evernote Spotlight Plugin crashes.

I think Evernote Spotlight Plugin crashes when it tries to read a PDF files that has a TINY AMOUNT OF file corruption. 

This PDF file corruption can randomly occur when you use files in computer systems. 

PDF files are COMPUTER CODE that allows the computer to render your file on the screen or on a printer.  This is why they are subject to CRASHES when the code is corrupted.

Other Apps such as Preview, Adobe PDF Reader, etc. can GRACEFULLY RECOVER  AND IGNORE the corruption when reading PDFs because they have good error handling routines.

But Evernote Spotlight Plugin obviously does not have a good error handling routine. It simply FATALLY CRASHES.

Evernote then will repeatedly re-load the Evernote Spotlight Plugin, which then again repeatedly crashes. 

Evernote probably has the plugin start reading the next PDF instead of the one that caused the crash.

This is why the crashes can stop until it encounters another PDF with some file corruption.

On my computer, Evernote will generally crash 10 times in a row when I restart Evernote, then stop crashing for a long time until it does so sporadically.

The problem is that file corruption is a fact of life when you use computers. File corruption happens randomly. 

Good programs will handle the file corruption gracefully and won't fatally crash.  They will simply move on to the part of the PDF past the corruption. Or they move on to read the next PDF.

Figuring out which PDF file has corruption also is futile. I have TENS OF THOUSANDS of PDF files on Evernote.

Since Evernote HIDES the PDFs and your notes in the system LIBRARY directory, and organizes its files in an ARCANE manner, users generally don't have easy access to these files.

MY TWO CURRENT SOLUTIONS are either:

1. GET RID OF THE EVERNOTE SPOTLIGHT PLUGIN.  Unfortunately, this also causes you to lose SHARING to Evernote. This makes it much more inconvenient to use Evernote and is unacceptable to me.

2. LEAVE OPEN THE CRASH DIALOG once Evernote Spotlight Plugin crashes and minimize its size. That way, subsequent crashes do not interrupt your use of the Mac. These crashes are still logged by MacOS on the Console files.  I often run macros using  Keyboard Maestro. And Evernote Spotlight Plugin crashes interrupt and throw off the timing of my macros.  So leaving on the crash dialog will keep Evernote Spotlight Plugin from interfering the use of macros and other programs. Then when I am ready, I write profanity on the crash dialog so that Apple can forward it to Evernote (Turn on Share with App Developers on the Analytics and Improvements selector in the Security and Privacy Preference Pane).

3. TURN OFF ALL CRASH DIALOGS.  This completely sweeps the problem under the rug and ignore it.  And other apps can no longer report a crash to you.

CrashReporter has 3 modes: 1) default is DEVELOPER mode where it shows you a large crash log. 2) BASIC mode where it shows you a warning that the app crashes without the developer information 3) SERVER mode where it doesn't show you any crash dialog. Instead it logs the crash on the Console Files like always. This way, when you are using your Mac as a server, its operations aren't interrupted by crash dialog boxes. The problem is that you won't know if anything crashes unless you check the Console. 

But since Evernote Spotlight Plugin IS THE NUMBER ONE CRASHING APP on MacOS, this is a small loss.

To turn off CrashReporter by setting it to SERVER MODE,  install Apple's XCode Developer Tools. Run the program called "CrashREporterPrefs" set the CrashReporter mode. 

Alternatively, you can run the following command in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType MODE where MODE is Developer, Basic, or Server.

Obviously, turning off all crash dialogs is sweeping this problem under the rug to ignore it. And repeated crashing and reloading of Evernote Spotlight Plugin uses up CPU time that is best used in other apps. 

I prefer sending profanities to Evernote after leaving the CrashReporter dialog open and in the background to keep it from interrupting my work.

I don't know when and if Evernote will ever solve this bug since it doesn't seem high on their list of things to do.

But this Evernote Spotlight Plugin is a SERIOUS BUG that interrupts the joy of using Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I am the last person to doubt that your findings are true.

Since I did non of what you say, just cleaned up (whatever there was to clean, if anything) and reinstalled, this is what I can tell. The problem was gone, and did not come back. I have not changed my notes content, so if there was a corrupted pdf when I had the crash, I still have it today. But maybe things arranged itself, somehow.

And yes, especially with a larger note base, uninstalling and resyncing can be a PITA.

4 minutes ago, Paul Vee Gee said:

When you say you "cleaned up", what did you actually do?

Also, what do you mean by a PITA?

I look forward to your response

Evernote support recommends deleting Evernote and all of its support files - everything associated with Evernote on your hard drive INCLUDING your notes and files that you store on Evernote.

You have to use an app called AppDelete (or similar) to accomplish this.

It is a PITA because you then have to reinstall Evernote then download ALL YOUR FILES back onto your computer.

If you have TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PDFs and OTHER FILES and NOTES, this can take HOURS.

If you then have to do this again every time Evernote Spotlight Plugin starts crashing again, you realize this is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME and a PITA. 

You also realize that Deleting and reinstalling Evernote DOES NOTHING to solve the problem:  Evernote Spotlight Plugin is POORLY WRITTEN.

It should NEVER FATALLY CRASH.

It should gracefully continue to work even if it encounters errors in files.

• Level 5

Cleaning procedure (the discussion if it helps is ongoing ...):

1. Sync everything to the server. If you have local notebooks, you have to backup them yourself, to an ENEX-file. To make re-import easier, it is good practice to Import the content of one local notebook into one ENEX-file, because the note-notebook-relation is not saved. Notes in notebooks that are not local are saved to the server by syncing (probably they are synced already).
  2. If you do not already have it, get the app AppCleaner. Install it, run it with admin rights. Then follow the apps procedures to delete the EN app from your Mac. In the process, a window will open with app and data components that the EN app has created on the Mac, in different directories. Many point in the list are already checked, but others are unchecked. To find them all, you have to scroll down the list. Check all to force a complete uninstall. Confirm. Wait for execution.
  3. Restart the Mac. This will reset all temporary data that may still be stored somewhere.
  4. Go with your browser to the EN web site, and there to the download page. Download the app from the EN website - do not install by the Macs AppStore. It is the same software, but the install from the AppStore creates an execution of EN in a sandbox. This causes problems.
  5. After you installed, especially under Catalina, you probably have to grant EN several access rights in the Macs Security & Privacy settings after the reinstall. Check through all categories in S&P and check the box beside the EN app wherever it occurs.
  6. Now enter your account login data. Make sure it is the correct data, otherwise you might create a new account that is empty, and not get to your notes. When you have opened your account, the sync will start. It will recreate the local database on the Mac from the master copy on the server. When you do this the internet connection speed is essential.
    Especially on a slow line with a lot of notes it is a PITA (Pain in the ass), because it will take hours. If you need EN during this time, do not use the Mac client, use the web client through your browser, or a mobile client. Best is to let it run during a time when you don’t use EN and the Mac at all.
  7. After the sync is done, you have a fresh data base on your Mac. If you had local notebooks saved in ENEX-files, it is now the moment to load them back. If you use other EN components like WebClipper or Skitch, you probably have to set these up again as well.

This is how I did my rebuild. It was done under Mojave. Finally and again, it worked for me, I had the Spotlight crash once, and it did not return since in more than half a year and a mayor OS upgrade to Catalina. I can not tell whether this is a coincidence, whether I will run into crashes tomorrow or next week, since I am a user and not a software engineer. From what I learned from others, EN wants to include a fix into the next generation of the app, which should be the one with the other improvements currently on the test bench. There is no known release date.

There are other options to improve an existing EN installation and cure database mistakes. Probably you should try these before going through a reinstall. They are reached by holding down the alt/opt-key on your keyboard before clicking on the EN Help Menu. The last position in the help menu is new with the opt-key pressed, and in the sub menu are options that run corrective action on the database. There are no reports here that these stop the Spotlight crashes, but you might give it a try before uninstalling. It does take much less effort for you and the Mac.

Hi PinkElephant.

Many thanks for the detailed description of how you 'cleaned' your EN. It sems rather a laboriuos process som I may just disable the Evernote Spotligt plugin and wait until the next release.

Thanks also for the Option help tip, I didn't know that.

Regards,

Paul

I am running the latest Evernote Mac and this spotlight app crashes every 30 seconds if I keep closing the crash popup.

Version 7.14 (458244 Direct)

MacOS 10.15.3

This problem seems to be happening since release 10.15 of Mac OS.

If it is not going to be resolved suggest posting the preferred way Evernote would like us to use to disable this "feature". 

Thanks

Rob

• Level 5

The spotlight crashes are bad, no doubt. They have most likely nothing to do with Catalina - with me they happened under Mojave, were gone after I cleaned my installation (see above) and did not return after my upgrade to Catalina. When you read this (long) thread, you will find many postings dating pre-Catalina.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, unixjedi said:

This problem seems to be happening since release 10.15 of Mac OS.

My records indicate it started as early as EN Mac 7.11 running on macOS 10.14.x (Mojave).

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

with me they happened under Mojave, were gone after I cleaned my installation (see above)

As noted above, doing a clean reinstall is a major undertaking.  The spotlight crashes stopped for me after I removed the EvernoteSpotlight plugin several weeks ago.  See above for instructions.

• Like 1

PinkElephant:

Thanks for the info. I ended up doing a un-install 3 times plus hard reboot to clear the Evernote off. 

Re-installed, now it looks like the Spotlight is behaving. 

Thanks again,

Rob

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 7:05 AM, thisisjustaguywithaname said:

Please, for the love of all that's holy, fix this already Evernote!!!!

....seen your post re: EvernoteSpotlight crashing... IAM having the same.... and i have noticed that you would know 🙏🏿

Please advise if you can 🙏🏿

OneLove❣️

OverBles✞

ps cool username btw 👍🏿

• Level 5

If you want to follow the procedure I have used, go to my post from March 9th. I have described there what to do.

I am still not sure that this really works (we had other opinions in this thread), but I took my own medicine, and still no more crashes.

Thanks, and stay well.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:36 PM, PinkElephant said:

Cleaning procedure (the discussion if it helps is ongoing ...):

1. Sync everything to the server. If you have local notebooks, you have to backup them yourself, to an ENEX-file. To make re-import easier, it is good practice to Import the content of one local notebook into one ENEX-file, because the note-notebook-relation is not saved. Notes in notebooks that are not local are saved to the server by syncing (probably they are synced already).
  2. If you do not already have it, get the app AppCleaner. Install it, run it with admin rights. Then follow the apps procedures to delete the EN app from your Mac. In the process, a window will open with app and data components that the EN app has created on the Mac, in different directories. Many point in the list are already checked, but others are unchecked. To find them all, you have to scroll down the list. Check all to force a complete uninstall. Confirm. Wait for execution.
  3. Restart the Mac. This will reset all temporary data that may still be stored somewhere.
  4. Go with your browser to the EN web site, and there to the download page. Download the app from the EN website - do not install by the Macs AppStore. It is the same software, but the install from the AppStore creates an execution of EN in a sandbox. This causes problems.
  5. After you installed, especially under Catalina, you probably have to grant EN several access rights in the Macs Security & Privacy settings after the reinstall. Check through all categories in S&P and check the box beside the EN app wherever it occurs.
  6. Now enter your account login data. Make sure it is the correct data, otherwise you might create a new account that is empty, and not get to your notes. When you have opened your account, the sync will start. It will recreate the local database on the Mac from the master copy on the server. When you do this the internet connection speed is essential.
    Especially on a slow line with a lot of notes it is a PITA (Pain in the ass), because it will take hours. If you need EN during this time, do not use the Mac client, use the web client through your browser, or a mobile client. Best is to let it run during a time when you don’t use EN and the Mac at all.
  7. After the sync is done, you have a fresh data base on your Mac. If you had local notebooks saved in ENEX-files, it is now the moment to load them back. If you use other EN components like WebClipper or Skitch, you probably have to set these up again as well.

This is how I did my rebuild. It was done under Mojave. Finally and again, it worked for me, I had the Spotlight crash once, and it did not return since in more than half a year and a mayor OS upgrade to Catalina. I can not tell whether this is a coincidence, whether I will run into crashes tomorrow or next week, since I am a user and not a software engineer. From what I learned from others, EN wants to include a fix into the next generation of the app, which should be the one with the other improvements currently on the test bench. There is no known release date.

There are other options to improve an existing EN installation and cure database mistakes. Probably you should try these before going through a reinstall. They are reached by holding down the alt/opt-key on your keyboard before clicking on the EN Help Menu. The last position in the help menu is new with the opt-key pressed, and in the sub menu are options that run corrective action on the database. There are no reports here that these stop the Spotlight crashes, but you might give it a try before uninstalling. It does take much less effort for you and the Mac.

I finally decided to wipe out Evernote from my Mac, multiple times if necessary, and before entering into this PITA process, I followed your suggestion to try out the options available from within Evernote by alt-clicking on Help menu. I tried all these options, in this order: recreate text search index, recreate Spotlight index, repare notes list. I think I already tried these options about 6 months ago, and it did not solve the issue. This time, however, it seems it did. At least, I can tell I haven't encountered the crash since yesterday. Maybe the development team made some changes to these hidden debug options since then... Fingers crossed...

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This popped up again for me yesterday and got to the point of popping up between every 30 seconds to a minute.  

Evernote 7.14 on High Sierra.

I got the messages to stop just now by using:

"rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight"

This is so annoying... and aggravating that this has still not been fixed.  I've been using Evernote pretty much since the beginning  and have been a premium subscriber for 8+ years.   I've tolerated this recurring annoyance because I didn't use my Mac as much as I do now.   Working from home because I have to has me on my computer most of the day and when this kicks up it really does begin to interfere with my getting work done.

It might be time to go...

Karl

• Level 5

Doing a full clean as described above seems the only workaround at the moment. It is a PITA, but it solved my problem with spotlight crashes a year ago, and seems it helped others as well. If you want to do it, it showed to be important to really follow it through step by step. Use AppCleaner, and really remove everything from the drive, before you restart the Mac and reinstall.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Doing a full clean as described above seems the only workaround at the moment.

Actually, that is NOT correct.

I and others have successively stopped the EvernoteSpotlight popup by deleting the EvernoteSpotlight plugin.  Details are provided above.

• Level 5

There is an ongoing discussion. Since I have not used the plugin approach, I can’t tell anything about it. For me a clean un- and reinstall did the job.

You are free to advise - I think anybody who has got the issue will be glad to get a working solution.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

There is an ongoing discussion. Since I have not used the plugin approach, I can’t tell anything about it.

That's fine.  My point is that others, including me, have found another solution.  So your statement is not correct:  "Doing a full clean as described above seems the only workaround at the moment"

No one asked you to vouch for other methods.

Since I repaired the database by alt-clicking on the Help menu section and choosing all options under that hidden sub-menu, the issue did not appear. However, I did another thing recently as I wanted to backup my Evernote notes: I exported all notes as html. I actually wanted a .enex file but I did not pay attention to the format and Evernote app tried to export everything as html. By doing this, it stopped and gave me an error about some attachments that could not be found, giving me the title of the note. I searched for the note, simplified formatting or deleted the attachment, then tried to export again. Fortunately, I had only a dozen of notes like this, among the ~ 5000 notes in my database. It was a PITA but after fixing this dozen of notes manually, I could finally export everything and backup my library. I don’t know if the errors would have appeared by selecting .enex format, though. Maybe this is related to what was described previously about corrupted attachments. Anyway, I did not have to uninstall with third-party tool and reinstall. I repaired the database, then several days after I fixed all problematic notes as mentioned above, and the error never reappeared since.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, evrenaute said:

Since I repaired the database by alt-clicking on the Help menu section and choosing all options under that hidden sub-menu,

Well, since this is for the Mac, I assume you meant "OPT-Clicking".  When you say "all", do you mean the first two items?

2020-05-02_15-07-30.thumb.png.02fbe3fb36fff15c7ec308646a075345.png

On 5/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Well, since this is for the Mac, I assume you meant "OPT-Clicking".  When you say "all", do you mean the first two items?

2020-05-02_15-07-30.thumb.png.02fbe3fb36fff15c7ec308646a075345.png

Exactly. Actually, AFAIR the submenu changed since last time. I am pretty sure the third option was about fixing something, not "Export Note for Support"...

Anyway, I opened my laptop this morning and EvernoteSpotlight crashed 30 times... 😕

I am gonna try to re-do this again, and if it does not work, I will try the complete clean / reinstall procedure...

On 1/26/2020 at 9:18 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Agreed, it is hard to understand why this issue has NOT been fixed six months after it was first reported.

This is becoming a platform confidence killer.  Evernote devs, please pay attention.  This is not an edge case.  Evernote for MAC is crippled and needs attention.

Well, add another frustrated long-time user to the list. Had a support chat about the issue and was told that the development team is aware of the issue and working on it. For now I've also deleted the plugin, but I'd like for my notes to show up properly in Spotlight like they used to.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MarcSic said:

Had a support chat about the issue and was told that the development team is aware of the issue and working on it

That's very good.  I original submitted a bug report, and was told the Devs were aware of the issue, but could not reproduce it.

With so many people now reporting the same issue, one would hope that by now the EN Devs have been able to reproduce it.

Joining the thread only to say that my new 16"MBP crashes daily, and "EvernoteSpotlight [31784]" seems to be the common cause, according to the Console. This is disappointing, after finding this thread, especially to see how long this has been going on for.

I will try uninstalling and re-installing to see if this helps and report back.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, marianco said:

The problem is the EvernoteSpotlight PLUGIN

I believe this is accurate, at least it was for me. When I looked in the Crash Reports (Console), the sole occupant of a very long list was EvernoteSpotlight. I deleted the app and the obvious evernote-related files in the Library, restarted, and downloaded the latest version from Evernote's site and—so far (with fingers and toes, and legs crossed) no crashes. I have five Macs working here, and my 16" MBP was the only one that ever crashed. Three run Evernote; two do not crash, but they run High Sierra.

• Like 1

Yes, it is the plug in. I did the full uninstall/reinstall process several times, and each time eventually the crashes came back. Only when I got rid of the plugin per the instructions on this thread, has the problem gone away and stayed away for a long time.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how long this issue has been going on and it still hasn't been addressed or even listed in popular help topics. It's maddening to receive the error message EVERY. 30 to 60. SECONDS. Even when the app is not open. I love Evernote but this is making me want to uninstall and give up on it, which would be a shame considering it's my brain on the computer. But it may be necessary because of the constant workflow interruptions. I have no idea how to turn it off, uninstall a plug in (if that's the problem). I just want it to work or I'll have to remove it. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Catalina and I've had the problem, probably since the upgrade. Would love any thoughts.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.06.15 AM.png

Minimizing the message is SUCH a kludge.

My Catalina/Evernote experience is slightly different, as I do not have notifications turned on, for anything. But, since I bought a new 16 inch MacBook Pro, running Catalina, in late 2019, EvernoteSpotlight has crashed it many, many times according to Console's crash reports. It has become so annoying that I am using the web-based version of Evernote these days, and I am definitely not using it as often as I used to.

I am reading back in the posts above; clearly lots has happened since I posted much earlier in the thread. I am still bemused as to why Evernote has not fix this problem. The larger context is that Catalina is, in my opinion, not ready for prime-time. I have two other Macs in my studio configured identically, software wise, apart from running High Sierra, and neither has crashed at any time over the last seven years in the case of one machine and four in the other. Regular maintenance is done of course via Cocktail and similar, and the machines are turned off a few times a week and restarted. From this unscientific perspective Catalina seems to be the problem. Evernote is a casualty, perhaps.

• Like 1

I have had this same issue for well over a year and have reported it to Evernote several times. Their answer is always "we don't know when it will be fixed".  It is really terrible that they have let a bug like this go on for so long. I have paid for Evernote Premium since it first became available, but I am starting to rethink my commitment to Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, richfbrown said:

I have had this same issue for well over a year and have reported it to Evernote several times. Their answer is always "we don't know when it will be fixed".

I believe Evernote has stopped making any updates to most, if not all, of their apps until they are ready to release the complete rewrite of these apps.  I just watched the latest "Behind the Scenes" video, and the Evernote CEO, Ian Small, indicated they are in the "Preview" phase of most of the apps, with about 25K selected users (private Beta group).  The next phase is Beta, and then the GA release of course.

They did not mention a time frame, but I would not be surprised if it took at least 3-6 months before the GA release.  Could be longer.

I know that's hard to accept, and hard to understand, but Ian says they are methodically working through the rewrite, and carefully considering all of the feedback they are getting from the 25K private Beta group.

So, basically we will have to "grin and bear it" for a while longer. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just had 5 of these crashes in one hour.  What gives? It just started happening.  Evernote spotlight grrrrrrr

Also, I don't even have evernote running, nor have run it in the last month but I have some notes on there so I don't want to uninstall it.  WTF it just starts crashing out of no where. I'm not even running evernote!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been having this for a long time.

I finally got fed up and made it so that the EvernoteSpotlight will never ever crash again. All I had to do was make it so that it can't be run.

From the terminal type or copy/paste:

chmod a-x /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

You lose the ability to have Spotlight index your Evernote notes but that's a small price to pay to get rid of those stupid error messages.

• Level 5

Since I do not have the problem (used to have it more than a year ago, uninstalled the AppStore version of EN then, reinstalled from the EN web site, and my problems were gone) this is an option to try, not a proven fix.

There is a program called Onyx, that executes a number of options on the Mac. One of them is to rebuild the spotlight index. This will do no harm, so why not give it a try. Onyx offers a number of other useful options, among which is a safe erase for the trash and for selected files or folders. The spotlight option is probably safe, but other options can do real harm to your data. So make sure you understand what you do when using it. 

The program can be downloaded for free here:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

The problem is still there for me. I tried Onyx already several times recently: it does not fix it. EtreCheck does not help either. The problem is coming from Evernote app and its plugins. The dev team has to so something about it. It’s their job... Cannot understand why this hasn’t moved at all in such a long time. I start considering to drop Evernote. Forever....

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, evrenaute said:

The problem is still there for me. I tried Onyx already several times recently: it does not fix it. EtreCheck does not help either. The problem is coming from Evernote app and its plugins. The dev team has to so something about it. It’s their job... Cannot understand why this hasn’t moved at all in such a long time. I start considering to drop Evernote. Forever....

Hi. Have you raised this with Support?  The dev team can only 'fix' issues they can identify and control,  and submitting your logs to them might help.. if it is an Evernote problem.  We should see an update shortly about the release of some wholly new clients,  so your fix may already be in the works.

This has been happening for me for almost a year. On my previous Macbook Pro and my current one. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, other times it can be a few days between occurrences. It's super annoying and frustrating. It interrupts anything else you're doing, like watching a video or working in a different application, even if Evernote is closed. Please provide a fix or instructions for spotlight to stop indexing Evernote.

I did submit a support ticket.

They told me to uninstall Evernote completely, as suggested on this forum.

Users on this forum tell us to contact support team.

Support team tells us to follow what is mentioned on this forum.

Very helpful.

They don’t investigate anything.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, evrenaute said:

I did submit a support ticket.

They told me to uninstall Evernote completely, as suggested on this forum.

So did you try that,  and did it work?  We're all users around here (mostly) and can only comment from general experience.  If what we suggest doesn't work,  you need to be talking to Support because you might have a situation that we've not encountered before.  If a reinstall does work then we're all singing from the same sheet...

• 1 year later...
  • Evernote Expert

This is the Evernote 7 thread. This software is deprecated and no longer supported. If you are having this issue with v7 then there is no fix. The software is done. In this case try v10 or use the web browser interface.

If you are already using v10 then please tell us. You may want to raise a support ticket.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, GFalquet said:

Four years later ... still the same problem. This is very very unprofessional.

I would call it unprofessional not to search the forum first before posting an explicit opinion with my post number 1. But OK, welcome to the forum, and let’s work on professionalism.

If I remember it correctly, Spotlight stopped working after a MacOS update, without a change in the EN client. So I assume that Apple killed (intentionally or by accident) Spotlight search on EN content. And that is more or less what we still have today.

Since Spotlight is a function of MacOS and not of the devs of individual apps, you better start complaining in an Apple forum. Don’t forget the iOS platform, iOS search doesn’t cover the app data neither.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, SteveHelms said:

I see that this thread stopped in Sept 22, but I am still seeing this problem on a daily basis.  Any new options for  a fix here?

What's your device,  OS and Evernote version?