"EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" repeatedly

The pop-up displays "EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly." repeatedly. So annoying. How can I stop this? It's ok Spotlight not targeting Evernote contents, just want to kill that message.

• Like 1

This is happening to me also.  This is clearly Evernote code that is breaking:

Process:               EvernoteSpotlight [15227]
Path:                  /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight
Identifier:            EvernoteSpotlight
Version:               7.11 (457847)
App Item ID:           406056744
App External ID:       831700955
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           EvernoteSpotlight [15227]

Date/Time:             2019-07-08 08:26:06.222 -0700
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)
Report Version:        12

Please say how i can disable (while broken) /re-enable (when fixed) Evernote from spotlight search

Thanks

• Like 3

I'm getting this a lot too. It seems to be usually happening in the morning, 7:30am or so Taiwan time. If I'm on the computer at that time it happens again and again, eventually stopping after 5-10 times, with maybe a few seconds between quits. If I'm not on the computer at that time I see the alert when I start using the computer later in the day, and it doesn't seem to recur.

I'm in 7.1.1; this happens whether or not Evernote itself is actually open.

This has also come up towards the end of the "Evernote Spotlight wants to use your confidential information" thread: 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, cameronreilly said:

This issue has been ongoing for several weeks.

True, but it's sort of a different issue from the one in that thread. The "wants to use your confidential information" problem has apparently been fixed with 7.1.1 (or at least it hasn't come back for me). The "EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" problem has definitely not been fixed.

• Like 5

I watch the crashes on my MacBook Pro, and tonight I noticed lots of Evernote SPotlight crashes, when normally there are none. You can see the list of crashes in the attachment, here is a dump of the first part of the most recent crash. Any ideas what's up? I don't think I even use Evernote Spotlight..

Process:               EvernoteSpotlight [7868]
Path:                  /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight
Identifier:            EvernoteSpotlight
Version:               7.11 (457847)
App Item ID:           406056744
App External ID:       831700955
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           EvernoteSpotlight [7868]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-07-09 23:06:20.546 -0400
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F203)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     3.5 (16P5200)
Anonymous UUID:        A68D1013-20C9-C330-DDF9-C7D9F603B44B

Sleep/Wake UUID:       9C46EB4F-2645-4BEF-8317-35FDA6BEBC00

Time Awake Since Boot: 11000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       110 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        1  Dispatch queue: com.apple.corespotlight.requests

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 8.00.41 PM.png

Yep i have too & for more than a couple of months i should add... If it helps i am on a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.5 with Evernote Version 7.11 (457846 Direct)
Editor: 69.1.8237 (1f0aea9).. 

When i refer to Evernote no matter what i do it pops up every 30s to 1m making using Evernote unbearable to use.. If i am not using evernote ie not even open the error message still pops up but i leave it open in the background so i don't have to keep closing the Report Problem window down..

Just trying to figure out if this has happened since the last Evernote update & if possible to roll back until its sorted..

I will post my update if i do - if no update then the Evernote Spotlight from Annoyance city is hounding me like Patrick Swayze singing " I'm Henry The 8th i am " in Ghost........ Just for clarity of how annoying the popup is..

PS i've only just managed to find the time to dedicate to his error outside of my 24x7 workload in case your wondering....

B-Rgds

Jimbo :)

Update - i can roll back but with it comes many issues- mainly security & database stuff pending on which thread you read.......

Edited by Bustamite
update to my original thread

Same problem here, since I upgraded to the latest release (7.11) for Mac, on a MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6.

It's concerning that there is no way to submit a bug report to Evernote without purchasing an upgrade to Premium. Log contents can contain personal information and shouldn't have to be posted to a community site. 

• Level 5*
On 7/20/2019 at 7:05 PM, Bob Stowe said:

Log contents can contain personal information and shouldn't have to be posted to a community site. 

Hi.  I agree - log information should not be posted to a public site.  However individual support is a subscriber-only feature.  You may get some help from a fellow HS user here,  or you could try the Twitter feed at @EvernoteHelps,  which - like the name suggests - is open to all.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

I've had this problem now for ten weeks. So much for the new Evernote leadership making big changes to customer support. 

Sometimes it takes a while (and discussions with other software companies) to find the cause of a specific issue.  Fixing it is usually pretty routine - once you actually find it...

It's very odd, I use Evernote throughout the day, and it seems I always have 6 crashes every day. I wonder if it's tied to some sort of an event, system activity, etc. that disrupts it. It's weird - ALWAYS 6 times a day.

The quitting has shifted for me. It was around 7:35am (Taiwan time), every morning. If I hit "OK" when it appeared, it'd reappear a bunch of times. But in the past couple of days the time has changed - now it's around 8:20am every day. So ... I dunno. No idea if it means anything, but it's weird.

• Level 5

Mine happens at around 10:30pm (+/- 5 min) every day. I don't have any scheduled tasks that run around that time, and I never shut down my Mac. It's a really weird bug. To me it feels like there's some process from the "cloud" that is triggering a script to run locally and that is crashing Spotlight. I know that EN has some scripts that can be remotely updated and executed -- almost like a remote control from their side. So I suspect this is what is going on.

10 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Mine happens at around 10:30pm (+/- 5 min) every day.

Idle curiosity: what time zone are you in? For me the bug is currently around 8:20am Taiwan time, so that's, let's see (looking at app): 8:20pm New York time, 5:20pm Pacific time.

Evernote support: doesn't the post up above about "This is a known BUG" indicate it's already been filed? 

I am having the same problem. It started about a month ago. Every time my Macbook Pro wakes up from sleep, the crash popup shows up at least about 4 times, really annoying. It is hard to understand why has Evernote not fixed the issue yet. 

I sent a support request in about 2 weeks ago, I got this reply back then:

Please know that this is a known issue and we're planning to address it soon. Unfortunately, there is no workaround but Spotlight search and Evernote's performance is not affected.

I just asked if there was any update.

I am starting to consider my options to move to another platform and stop my subscription. This is ridiculous, on top of very little communication from Evernote. Is this the Support I pay for as a premium user? Disgraceful. There are too many other viable options these days, it's very telling when we need Evernote to fix this annoying issue they are silent. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Don0819 said:

... there is no workaround but Spotlight search and Evernote's performance is not affected...

Actually that's not true. Spotlight does NOT work. Only note titles are searched- content search from Spotlight is not returning results.

I heard back from support - they basically gave me detailed instructions to uninstall/reinstall Evernote to fix this problem! I was very skeptical at first and said so, they insisted to do this exactly as they instruct below. So I followed their steps EXACTLY, and guess what - I have been a full 24 hours with no crashes! I was getting 6 a day so this is very encouraging. I thought I would pass on the steps if you want to try too. I didn't want to believe it but I am very hopeful this bug is gone!

From Support:

I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here.

Then follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application
  2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website
  3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app (Note - I saw no zip file, the web site lets you just download the latest .dmg file, which I did).
  4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window.
  5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, click Remove (Note: Please scroll down the list that app cleaner finds and check every box so everything is removed.)
  6. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on your Mac’s Trash and select Empty Trash
  7. Reboot your computer
  8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website
  9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder
  10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can confirm. I had to go through this process twice because the first time I neglected to pay enough attention to "check every box" in App Cleaner. Once I repeated the process and ensured every box was checked (there was one relating to spotlight waaaay down the bottom),  I haven't had the error for over 24 hours, which is a relief. 

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Don0819 said:

I heard back from support - they basically gave me detailed instructions to uninstall/reinstall Evernote [...] follow these steps...

Ok well that sure was a waste of a few hours. I did this on my 2 Macs (both running 7.12 Final) and it didn't do anything to fix these EvernoteSpotlight crashes. @Nick L. Please is this being looked into? Who can I send logs to or how to figure out what's going on here?

It took you a few hours to do this? Wow - took me 10 minutes tops. Anyway, I am Into second day for me, no crashes yet! Be sure and do the steps exactly, including checking the extra items in the Evernote uninstall that are not selected by default when AppCleaner runs.

• Level 5

From my experience, the last sentence is really important. The AppCleaner Windows is a little too small, you have to scroll down and actively select everything that belongs to the previous installation.

Did a total cleaning job some time ago, and had no trouble since.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 6:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

Did you do a complete (!) uninstall back then ?

Are you on regular software, or running any beta on your Mac ?

@PinkElephant,

Yes I did a complete (!) uninstall back at the beginning of August (I actually ran through the process twice to make sure) - and there have been no errors since - until 24 hours ago. 

On regular software. No beta that I'm aware of. This is my production machine. 

• Level 5

OK 

I‘ve send a direct mail to EN asking to look into this thread. We have 2 new posts here about it, they get input via Support as well, so maybe they have more to work with.

I did never have the issue strongly on my MacBookPro, just once, back then before the new version got released, and I suspect there may be some weird interaction going on between EN and some other stuff that creates the problem. But as a user, I am happy when my machine is running. I did the uninstall-reinstall once, it did solve the issue, and I have no further idea what to do if this doesn’t help.

Maybe open a support ticket yourself ?

I posted above that the problem came back for me too, I went through the same uninstall/reinstall and so far I have had no crashes. So it appears that something gets corrupted, for some reason, and the uninstall/reinstall fixes it (through replacement/reinitialization etc.). That sounds to me like something that needs to be fixed in software (Evernote) otherwise we will be faced with periodically having to uninstall/reinstall everything, to get a couple of months of crashless days in.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Maybe things have changed so far that there were releases on the Mac app in the meantime.

But if you plan to upgrade to Catalina soon, probably it makes sense to wait for this OS and app to release, and upgrade both then. This is not to say the current SW should not be fixed (IMHO it should), but probably everybody in the Mac/iOS section at EN is right now occupied with getting this new stuff to the ramp and off.

As I say, I have send a message, and wait to see when they are back to work tomorrow Californian time what will happen.

• Level 5

In the meantime I had contact with support. They told me the issue is known and EN is working on a solution.

Since I do not have the issue, maybe anybody here who has the problem may contact support as well and help them with activity protocols or other information if requested.

The solution detailed by @Don0819 worked for me on all three of my machines that were showing this behavior. All machines are running macOS 10.14.6. However, the fix only lasts between a few days and a few weeks (varies by machine and usage level from what I can tell).

One of these days, I'm going to make the solution permanent and stop at step 7!

On 7/31/2019 at 1:08 PM, Don0819 said:

I heard back from support - they basically gave me detailed instructions to uninstall/reinstall Evernote to fix this problem! I was very skeptical at first and said so, they insisted to do this exactly as they instruct below. So I followed their steps EXACTLY, and guess what - I have been a full 24 hours with no crashes! I was getting 6 a day so this is very encouraging. I thought I would pass on the steps if you want to try too. I didn't want to believe it but I am very hopeful this bug is gone!

From Support:

I recommend you export any local notebooks and unsynced notes as a backup because they have not been synced to our server and will be unrecoverable after this procedure. For detailed instructions on exporting your notes, click here.

Then follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote application
  2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website
  3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app (Note - I saw no zip file, the web site lets you just download the latest .dmg file, which I did).
  4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window.
  5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, click Remove (Note: Please scroll down the list that app cleaner finds and check every box so everything is removed.)
  6. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on your Mac’s Trash and select Empty Trash
  7. Reboot your computer
  8. Download and install Evernote for Mac from the Evernote website
  9. Drag the Evernote icon into your ‘Applications’ folder
  10. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

I too found success by applying the corrective measures @Don0819 learned from support.  However, since I have done that, the web-clipper is gone and EN has pulled it from Safari Extension page due to the 32 bit vs. 64 bit requirement of the upcoming macOS release.

I would love to have the clipper back.  Am I missing something?

Are the 4 points below accurate?

1. Symptoms started early July 2019.
  2. Evernote acknowledged these symptoms at approx same time (early July).
  3. We have a workaround from @Don0819.
  4. It's now ~2.5 months later and the symptoms persist.

Additionally:

These symptoms are severe on my team's systems; they interrupt our meetings, workflow, and presentations several times a day. Everyone in a team meeting groans audibly whenever the dreaded "Evernote quite unexpectedly" window comes up, because they know it's going to popup at least 3 more times during the meeting. It does not seem to matter whether or not Evernote.app is running -- but we're not 100% certain of this, because we are Fujitsu-ScanSnap-scanning all the time and auto-loading Evernote in the process; and thus, if closing Evernote.app _does_ mitigate these symptoms, we keep "forgetting" to close Evernote after every scanned document.

Can someone demonstrate to me that Evernote prioritizes this problem enough to fix it? 2.5 months is a long time. The workaround is too cumbersome for my team, and by the sounds of it, the problematic symptoms often (if not consistently?) reoccur after applying the workaround procedure.

If no one can concretely demonstrate movement and interest by Evernote to solve this, I'll start seeking an Evernote replacement. My team can not operationally proceed with this behavior.

[Our macOS 10.14.6 systems are running Evernote 7.12.]

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, hydrostarr said:

If no one can concretely demonstrate movement and interest by Evernote

What sort of demonstration would you have in mind?  99% of the work in 'fixing' something usually goes into finding out what causing an issue in the first place.  Once that is known,  the corrective measures are - again usually - pretty straightforward.  The discovery phase often involves lots of investigation with users on different systems plus experimentation internally.  It takes time - and the reason tech companies don't (usually) say "we'll have this fixed by next week" is that they just don't know that something is stable and fully fixed until it actually is. 

At the moment (I gather) this is broken.  If it's a business-critical function that prevents you operating with a workaround in place,  then you clearly need to look at options.

Evernote are pretty good at getting update conflicts resolved - they've done so on occasion within days of a problem being apparent.  If they haven't fixed this within several weeks,  I'd be sure they're working very hard to understand why...

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely seems to keep coming up. I have undeleted it and reinstalled it twice now, it has started crashing again in the last few days. I can't believe Evernote hasn't fixed this, I first reported it on a ticket to them in JULY. I too am getting fed up with them.

Yesterday, around 7 PM local time, I did the update to 7.13. I notice in my logs this morning, not only did the 7.13 update fix anything, but the Evernote Spotlight crash happened 6 times between 10:12 PM and 10:14 PM, and I definitely wasn't even using my laptop, it was closed up for the evening! What could cause it to just be crashing on its own?

On 10/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Don0819 said:

It definitely seems to keep coming up. I have undeleted it and reinstalled it twice now, it has started crashing again in the last few days. I can't believe Evernote hasn't fixed this, I first reported it on a ticket to them in JULY. I too am getting fed up with them.

Yes, indeed. The bug has existed for months, I reported it months ago, and I recently learned that it still hasn't been fixed because it was judged to be "a priority"! I complained once more, and the tech support person said she would raise the priority.

Frankly, I think this is inexcusable.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This problem is really annoying, and when it pops up, it keeps popping up repeatedly - very disruptive. Would evernote care to respond before folks give up and move away. It'll be sad after being an evernote user for close to 10 years, if not more !

Evernote, come on guys, this is getting pretty rediculous and making me seriously wonder of leaving you after years. You don't seem to interact with your customers at all on this topic even though you might try to fix it. The errors are really damn annoying and nothing works to fix it. Reinstalling only works for about a couple of weeks, then it's back. 

How long do you wanna push this?

• Like 1

I have an iMac and updated to macOS Catalina Version 10.15.  I lost my Evernote Web Clipper for a few days but then they came out with an update to Evernote and ever since I updated I don't get the Evernote Spotlight quit unexpectedly error message anymore and my Evernote Web Clipper is back & running.  My version of Evernote is 7.13 and Safari Version 13.0.2

UPDATE 11/13/19:  I just received another popup about Evernote Spotlight quit unexpectedly again this morning!  I was hoping the updates took care of it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here! EvernoteSpotlight.appex regularly crashes, since at least few weeks, almost every day. Actually, it might have started after I finally upgraded to Mojave, few weeks ago... Not sure when it really first appeared, though.

What is similar:

- I am running Mojave (10.14.6) and Evernote 7.13.

- I am also having issues with Spotlight indexing. When I end typing my search, several results show up and quickly disappear from Spotlight results to leave only 1 or 0 entry, where the title of the note exactly matches, and all the rest does not show up. When I search through Evernote, it works fine, though, albeit a bit slow.

- As for luckman212, it could well be that for me it also systematically happens around the same time frame, between 10:30 and 11:00 and then again between 21:00 and 21:30 (GMT+1).

- As for BG_McM, it also happens in bursts (4 times, maybe more).

What is different:

- I don't get a pop-up message, just a notification from CrashCrier (www.kainjow.com). Maybe the difference is due to my macOS preferences (?), but at least I do get pop-up messages for other apps when they crash (sometimes on top of CrashCrier notifications).

Attached are my zipped crash logs for the last days. I did not follow Don0819's procedure to uninstall (with AppCleaner, checking all items) / restart / reinstall, but unless there are more than 1-2 reports of this procedure having definitely fixed the bug, I don't want to waste time with this just to get few crashless days. I don't know if this is related to the number of notes I have (>3800 across 7-8 notebooks) or the type of attached files (only few PDF and images, maybe very few Word documents), but it seems to me I am just trying to make normal usage of the service...

Please, Evernote development team, fix this!

EvernoteSpotlight_crashes.zip

• Level 5

Since I fixed it through completely uninstalling and reinstalling (see my posts above in this thread) I am running completely without the problem. First with Mojave, since a few weeks under Catalina (currently 10.15.1).

The issue has not returned.

@evrenaute Just took a look on your zip-file. We are all users here, so posting it in the forum will not do anything.

You are on a paying account, so you could push it on support together with a ticket. Maybe they can do something to look into the problem, and find out what happens on your Mac.

@PinkElephant Ok, good to know, I wasn’t sure what was the state of this issue since for some other users like @Don0819 the uninstall/reinstall only fixed the issue temporarily. I know my log files aren’t very useful here, just wanted to add my 2 cents because I saw log files almost like mines on another thread, so I guess there are many users facing the same issue. From what you say, I guess the dev team did not come back to you with a solution other than the uninstall/reinstall method, so I am gonna open a ticket.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Yes, no change on my side: Got the uninstall (completely !) / reinstall message, did so (still under Mojave), upgraded to Catalina, upgraded EN, reinstalled Web clipper etc.

The spotlight issue still did not come back (keep my fingers crossed).

This is what I can contribute from my experience, which of course depends on my Mac, my other apps and installations and my use case.

Good luck !

Well I've got this "EvernoteSpotlight quit unexpectedly" problem back AGAIN. Third time since July that I'll have to delete and reinstall Evernote to fix it. I've recently moved over to Apple Notes, finally giving up on Evernote Premium after eleven years. Only keeping Evernote as an archive now. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

GUYS, IT'S GETTING REDICULOUSLY IRRITATING NOW. I HATE CAPS, BUT PLEASE REALISE YOUR ARE GOING TO LOSE CLIENTS AND PEOPLE WILL NOT RECOMMEND YOU. Also for me it's the third time since July and then I don't even count all the weeks I've just put away the error 10 times after each other each day. If you think that because you're 'locked in' in our way of working over the past years you think we won't switch, I think you're mistaken. 

I will give you guys until my subscription renewal in feb. Otherwise, lovely program, but this is so annoying. And the most annoying is, you probably don't even read this and you don't communicate with your customers. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Since you occupy the posting space in the forum alone on this issue, it seems you are alone with this issue.

This is a user forum, and making it unreadable for other USERS is no way to lean on EN to do anything or something.

When did you contact support the last time about this ?

For me, the steps to uninstall completely and reinstall work UNTIL an update comes. I have not had any crashes for weeks, an Update came through the Apple store on my Mac, and now in the last 3 days I have gotten about 10 crashes a day. I am in the process of doing the full uninstall with AppCleaner and reinstall, I am sure it will be fine until the next update Come on Evernote, fix this!!!!!

• Level 5

Does this mean you are using the EN app loaded from the AppStore ?

If YES, then delete this version completely, and download and install the app from the EN website, avoiding the AppStore.

The version from the AppStore is running in a sandboxed mode. This can cause problems. I switched quite a while ago, and do not have any problems since.

To stay current with my apps, I use the App MacUpdate that keeps track of most installed programs.

I am not running the one on the App Store, at least initially. I downloaded the one from the Evernote site, every time, as I did today. The problem is, the updates through the App Store happen automatically. I guess instead of putting a good version on the App Store Evernote wants me to turn off all automatic updates on my Mac? I won't do that - why compromise the rest of my computer because Evernote won't fix this stupid bug and updates cause crashes?

No wonder people are leaving for other solutions. I won't compromise the rest of my computer. Like others, I am very close to dumping Evernote. This has gone way too long. When my due date comes up from renewal, if this is not fixed, I am gone, Enough is enough.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I use what works. The sandboxing of apps is done by the OS, not by EN, and it can not be influenced by the app.

The program on the App Store is identical to the one you get from the web site, to the last digit of the version number. It just behaves differently when installed by the AppStore. „Sandbox“ means the interaction between the app and other programs is restricted by MacOS.

Because I have many apps that are not available from the AppStore, I run MacUpdate to supervise these for updates. No need to compromise with outdated software. And again, I update the EN app frequently, I have switched to Catalina and updated it twice since - no „spotlight“ issue on my MacBook Pro. I had it once, and it went without returning when I made a clean reinstall.

@PinkElephant the fact remains the program crashes for quite a number of people, and EN has acknowledged the problem for a long time, and has yet to fix it. I appreciate your comments, but at some point people who keep claiming "the problem doesn't happen to me" are just not helpful.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Obviously those who never had a problem may know little about what to do.

In my personal case, I had the problem, and it went away after I did what I described. So this is a statistical sample of size „1“. I am happy I could get the  problem go away, and I share what I know. You gave a good additional information by mentioning the AppStore version, which I used initially and then took down from my MBP after some problems related to sandboxing.

If you ask the forum (and here are more users than just me), you will get the undiluted feedback about our experience. We just tell our stories, we are not paid to do so, and if we can help, things are o.k.

If you want or need a more structured reaction, feel free to contact support on this.

Happy Holidays !

I have had this for probably half a year and still have it today. I just tried a complete uninstall and reinstall with App cleaner and downloading it from the website, and I will see what that does. But this whole ordeal may cause me not to renew my premium subscription when it ends in half a year. For an $89.99 (CAD) subscription, this shouldn't be an issue for so long. Apple Notes is looking very appealing again.

I’m not sure advising people to rely on the malware/virus factory that is MacUpdate is a wise thing to do.
I’ve personally disinfected dozens of corporate machines whose administrative employees have harvested “free” utility apps from MacUpdate only to discover a swarm of adware backdoors that were paving the way for an EFI exploit. 
App Cleaner is also problematic in the sense that it’s been known to make tragically poor decisions for a variety of software packages. Perhaps it’s safe to use on EverNote specifically, but it’s definitely paid my bills (I’m an IT professional) when it goes very wrong in the hands of someone who doesn’t know the chaos it’s capable of. Not something a dev should be recommending in the wake of a problem they themselves inflicted. 
Evernote devs: script your own uninstaller app and deploy it to ppl who need it, please stop telling your users to install flakey software that has the potential to knock people out of business.

• Thanks 1

I tried uninstall with App Cleaner, updated the OS, and reinstall, but happened again. So, I have no idea how bad this idea is, but I decided to remove this process manually. Since then, I've never seen the problem. Here is how to do that;

1. Run Terminal
  2. Type this command and enter
rm /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns/EvernoteSpotlight.appex/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteSpotlight

Hope this helps you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
On 12/28/2019 at 1:31 PM, PlaceboMessiah said:

Evernote devs: script your own uninstaller app and deploy it to ppl who need it, please stop telling your users to install flakey software that has the potential to knock people out of business.

Just for the record,  anyone who needs advice from Evernote Devs (or wants to give it to them) should contact the company.  Subscribers can use the support link at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new,  anyone can message on Twitter https://twitter.com/evernotehelps or FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/evernotecommunity/

The comments you get here are (mainly) from experienced users around the world rather than active IT professionals.  Use at your own risk...

• Level 5

About the use of „tools“ on a computer (Mac, Windows, whatever):

All tools that go beyond what the creator of the OS think is appropriate carry a certain risk. Users should know this, and decide on their ability to manage things themselves. On the other hand, the OS sometimes leaves issues that without the tools a normal  user (who will not run tasks through command line modifications) can’t  resolve.

My user experience:

Macupdate on my Mac is the paid version. Yes, it is not even cheap, but it saves me so much time that I regard it a good investment. I have never experienced it to install anything else than new versions of software that I have decided before I want installed on my Mac. Sometimes it is not able to install the latest version completely, but then it loads the DMG and I can do the rest alone. IMHO the risk of running outdated software exceeds by far the risk of running a tool to help with staying current. Security specialists regard running the actual versions of OS and Apps as more important than using an antivirus-software.

AppCleaner works fine, and opposite to just dragging an icon on the trash, I can see what the app I want to uninstall has put on my disk, and what is recommended for deletion, and what to keep. I feel better by knowing. I’ve made quite a number of uninstalls up to now, and in not a single case anything got broken by this. And if this would happen, I run TimeMachine and could always go back before the point when I hit the uninstall button.

I do not doubt that for some users it is better to pay for a specialist looking for their Mac than to service it alone - and I am sure that for somebody who earns his living by doing so, users that will not use publicly available tools to help themselves are an important customer group.

Both will not stop me to recommend what IMHO is working and helps to keep my Mac happy, my EN running and myself productive.

• 3 weeks later...