Location of enex file so I can auto save it.

I'm sure this has been discussed but......

I can manually save my "enex" file and save it on my backup drive using my Evernote program. But I want to automate saving the "enex" as I do with all my data. I can't find the file so I can use my backup progie to auto back it up daily to another drive..

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, thewolfe70 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but......

I can manually save my "enex" file and save it on my backup drive using my Evernote program. But I want to automate saving the "enex" as I do with all my data. I can't find the file so I can use my backup progie to auto back it up daily to another drive..

It depends on which platform you are using.  Check out this thread, it discusses the location of the database for both Windows and Mac.

• Level 5*

For Windows, I recently posted a .bat file that backs up your notes by notebook: 

There's also a PowerShell version, if you're into that sort of thing:

Basically, the idea is to get the ENScript.exe program (comes with the standard Evernote installation for Windows) to produce a list of notebooks in your account, and then use that list to back up individual notebooks to their own .enex files. Customize to your heart's content...

Note: You definitely want to back up by notebook, since notebook name is not included in .enex files; if you backup everything, you'll lose your notebooks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, thewolfe70 said:

I want to automate saving the "enex" as I do with all my data.

On my Mac, I use a script to automate my backups each morning.

It allows the exact specification for the .enex file location; I use a cloud drive

• Level 5

It is possible as well to use a standard backup program and simply backup the database folder as it is.

On my PC, I run a solution by Acronis and have set up a job that just saves the EN folder to my NAS with a higher frequency than the rest of the PC. I do a full copy on this job, incremental does not make much sense. It allows to specify how many copies back you want to keep, and starts do delete older ones automatically. Cheaper than permanently buying more disks and NAS extensions ...

• Level 5*

I use Backupery to export all notebooks to ENEX on a nightly basis, a painless exercise.  I then encrypt my local notebooks to the cloud.  I think the ENEX backup is good on occasion but can be somewhat problematic if you want to restore an accidentally deleted note (main reason I have ever had to use a backup at this point).  FWIW.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is possible as well to use a standard backup program and simply backup the database folder as it is.

42 minutes ago, CalS said:

I think the ENEX backup is good on occasion but can be somewhat problematic if you want to restore an accidentally deleted note (main reason I have ever had to use a backup at this point).

The full database backup works better for restoring Local Notebooks.  
The notes are restored, instead of being imported as new notes.

I backup my data in .html format and raw database folder
using Mac TimeMachine and scripting, also a painless exercise
- html is readable by any web browser app,
  and it's easier to recover a single note than importing an entire enex file (or entire database folder)

When importing notes from an enex file, the note retains metadata like tags, create/update dates
I don't get this on html imports