Is there a way to report a bug on iPhone running IOS beta (13), as well as any workaround to make it work?

Hong Zhang

It crashed every time when I opened a note, it drove me crazy. From what I heard the built in crash report frequently got ignored by the Evernote team.

I also tried to send the crash report, only to realize there was no email address to send to, duh!

And the web based ticketing system only open to pay members....

I heard there was a web based interface, but accessing evernote.com from browser of iPhone leads to account information, not the actual notes as seen on PC...

What would be the other options to make it work?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Not much help, but my fix was to go back to IOS 12.  IOS 13 was locking up in more ways than just EN for me.  Not ready for prime time on my iPad anyway.

• Level 5

Up to now, the workaround is to go back to iOS 12.

EN is working on a beta that will work together with the iOS and iPadOS /13 betas. If interested to be involved in this, you can register for the EN beta program. Then, they will throw the release on you as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for the info, I applied to EN beta program, but haven't heard back.

Hopefully they will release a fix soon, as it's apparently a show stopper. Even though it runs over IOS beta, it shouldn't at least crash so abruptly, hence render it useless.

• Level 5

If you look up what the CEO of EN posted today in the last video thread, you find he explained that they run a number of beta programs in parallel. For some you will be invited, for others you can apply. And some are closed because they have started with a number of people, and do not want to take newbies into that specific program because they want to run the beta with the same bunch of people until the end.

This is what I understand - I am in none of them, and I do not do betas.

You are running 2 betas if you use iOS13 plus EN beta, one on top of the other. So I think you should know what you do and not complain when this structure crashes down on you. As long as there is no smoldering hole in the middle of your I-device, you should regard yourself as one of the lucky beta-testers. Just count the bombs, put them as badges on your beta-jacket, and go on.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone running the iOS 13 or iPad OS betas on their devices needs to remember that Evernote does not offer support for platforms that aren't theirs for obvious reasons. It also states in their actual EN beta software agreement (I think. It's been a while since I read through the whole thing) that you should not run the EN beta on your main production machines and that you can report feedback, but normal type support isn't really provided as it's an ever changing landscape when it comes to the builds.

I wanted to remind everyone so you remember to take it easy on the EN developers while you are beta testing. Especially if you are running a beta operating system as well.

And EN needs to remember that without premium users like me they are out of business. Hundreds of thousands of app providers who all have had access to the iOS beta for months now have apps that work. But not EN. If this isn’t fixed soon I will begin the migration of my 10+ years of notes to another platform. 

• Level 5*

Well, when I took a spin with IOS 13 a month or so ago it wasn't just EN that was failing.  IAC, it's one thing to test beta apps, another thing to test bets OS's, from a potential pain perspective anyway.  Personally I can survive until IOS 13 has been blessed.  FWIW.

I signed up for the iOS beta as well to see if this can be fixed. I've been unable to use Evernote for almost a month now, so I've been incredibly frustrated - I use it for travel blogging, and I'm two full month-long trips behind.

At the moment, I ran the Evernote to Onenote converter, and I'm using Onenote to backfill all the notes. If EN doesn't start working soon, I'm moving off to Onenote completely... even though I just paid for a year of Pluson EN. :(

With iOS b1, it was just crashing on start, now it shows notes fields but keeps spinning. Never mind that the Shortcuts app doesn't work either to publish pics to Evernote...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, t00manyusers said:

I signed up for the iOS beta as well to see if this can be fixed. I've been unable to use Evernote for almost a month now, so I've been incredibly frustrated - I use it for travel blogging, and I'm two full month-long trips behind.

At the moment, I ran the Evernote to Onenote converter, and I'm using Onenote to backfill all the notes. If EN doesn't start working soon, I'm moving off to Onenote completely... even though I just paid for a year of Pluson EN. :(

With iOS b1, it was just crashing on start, now it shows notes fields but keeps spinning. Never mind that the Shortcuts app doesn't work either to publish pics to Evernote...

Have you considered going back to 12 and waiting for Public 13?  Seems like a lot of pain to endure to be on the IOS beta.  But if Onenote works well for you, what the hey.

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Have you considered going back to 12 and waiting for Public 13?  Seems like a lot of pain to endure to be on the IOS beta.  But if Onenote works well for you, what the hey.

To be honest, I don't really like rolling back iOS releases. Although I recognise that I dive in head first off a bridge into cold water every time I go with (any) OS beta, I kind of expect apps to sort of follow within some time - but we're about to hit beta 4 of iOS 13, and it's been out for over a month, but Evernote has not kept up. I know they often don't work, have bugs, etc - I've been using OS betas since Windows 'Chicago' and Win'97 Nashville (and I use final versions of MS OSs, which aren't necessarily always better :D ), so I know a bit about bugs; but it should really not make basic use apps like EN stop working completely.

I don't like many things about OneNote (lack of geotagging, others) but it works, which is really frustrating to not be the state of things for Evernote. I really don't want to switch, but I am hopeful that the EN team has access to the same iOS beta I do, and has at least a version that can pull up a note and not lock up - I don't think I'm asking for the world here, to be fair.

• Level 5

Depending on the basic design of an app (the machine that drives it, not the surface), the resources available and other factors, it may take longer to adapt an app to OS changes. Here we are talking an OS change, plus a split into two OSes for the future (phone and tablet). We all hope that at least on the iPad some of the mobiles apps current restrictions will be lifted, like being able to work on more than one note at a time.

In general I prefer a solid app upgrade when iOS is released over a lot of enthusiasm in the time before.

When I read other places stories, even the own apps from Apple seem to suffer from some beta-blues.

Two more month to go. So for me it is wait and see !

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Depending on the basic design of an app (the machine that drives it, not the surface), the resources available and other factors, it may take longer to adapt an app to OS changes. Here we are talking an OS change, plus a split into two OSes for the future (phone and tablet). We all hope that at least on the iPad some of the mobiles apps current restrictions will be lifted, like being able to work on more than one note at a time.

In general I prefer a solid app upgrade when iOS is released over a lot of enthusiasm in the time before.

When I read other places stories, even the own apps from Apple seem to suffer from some beta-blues.

Two more month to go. So for me it is wait and see !

Yeah, I guess that's a fair position, but with all due respect to the amount of effort the EN team puts into the app, I guess I didn't think that it's a "complex" enough app to be completely disabled by an OS upgrade. Hell, some (theoretically) more convoluted apps continue working fine, which means the EN app must've been relying on some pretty weirdball aspects of iOS 12 to cease functioning in 13.

Guess we wait...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, t00manyusers said:

To be honest, I don't really like rolling back iOS releases. Although I recognise that I dive in head first off a bridge into cold water every time I go with (any) OS beta, I kind of expect apps to sort of follow within some time - but we're about to hit beta 4 of iOS 13, and it's been out for over a month, but Evernote has not kept up. I know they often don't work, have bugs, etc - I've been using OS betas since Windows 'Chicago' and Win'97 Nashville (and I use final versions of MS OSs, which aren't necessarily always better :D ), so I know a bit about bugs; but it should really not make basic use apps like EN stop working completely.

I don't like many things about OneNote (lack of geotagging, others) but it works, which is really frustrating to not be the state of things for Evernote. I really don't want to switch, but I am hopeful that the EN team has access to the same iOS beta I do, and has at least a version that can pull up a note and not lock up - I don't think I'm asking for the world here, to be fair.

Got me, I am clueless as to the details or complexity of porting EN from 12 to 13.  Agreed, it seems it would be in ENs best interest to address things sooner than later.  At least have something that works though it may break.  OTOH, I’m going to wait.  😉

I have ~250 apps on my iPhone. So far with my testing EN is the only app that does not work under iOS 13. It is not possible to view or edit the contents of a note, but the preview shows the text. While there are some annoying bugs with iOS 13, this is the only critical one I have found. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, t00manyusers said:

Was just about to post the same. Woohoo!

Not that I think EN is off the hook, I kinda want this to not happen exactly as @PDCLarry2 said...

Would be interesting to know the cause of the issue, probably need someone from EN to respond to get that answer.  My thought would be if you didn't download a new version of EN and now it works where might the source of the issue be? 

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that mine was working OK with Public beta 3, since I upgraded to Beta 4 I see a spinning wheel in the body of the text instead of the notes loading, anyone else has the same issue? 

4 hours ago, E-mon said:

It's interesting that mine was working OK with Public beta 3, since I upgraded to Beta 4 I see a spinning wheel in the body of the text instead of the notes loading, anyone else has the same issue? 

Upgrade to Beta 5.