Evernote asking for upgrade all of a sudden (using only 2 devices)

magnus110

Idea

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You can always get to your settings using the web client. This is never counted as a device. You can manage your account settings there. 

When there, check as well whether the was a third party access to your account. EN itself is secure, but there were cases reported where login credentials from other accounts that were hacked in the past were used to access the EN database of users.

If this has happened, another, unknown device from a foreign place will show up in the devices and access list. With the basic device limit, this will push your account over the limit without you knowing why and how. Sure, it was somebody else, so how should you know ....

If so, change your password at once, using a unique and STRONG password this time. I always promote the use of a password manager (Personally I use 1Password, but there are others that do a good job as well).

And think about activating 2FA. As being on a BASIC account, you can use 2FA, but just with the Google Authenticator as Source for the second factor.

When 2FA is on, you will be immediately notified if somebody tries to enter your account.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, magnus110 said:

I have been using Evernote without any problems for a long time. Today it's asking me to unsync devices or upgrade. I'm only using 2 devices. At the moment I can't even access settings.

Did the message give you access to your Devices list.

If not, you can use the web page and access the Devices list in your account settings.

Review the list and revoke access to any devices not your's or not active

If there are unknown devices accessing your account, revoke access and change your password.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue and am unable to navigate anywhere nor can I logout off safari web client. It keeps asking for me to upgrade to paid subscription. Cannot access my data nor can I navigate anywhere except account and device settings. I had 3 devices registered, and I removed one.

The only navigating I can do is to access the 3-bar menu in upper right hand corner for settings, but nowhere to logout.

Edited by Xxxzzz
Having same issue
  • Like 1

I'm having the same issue. Login with MS Edge and it tells me I have to unsync a device... while I'm on WEB with only being logged in on two devices?
Can no longer access notes on web. Super annoying. 

Same problem as Sam D. I am on the basic plan and am being asked to select two devices to sync. Does the web version now count as a device? Even when I select the web version plus one other device and unselect all my other devices, the "continue" button doesn't activate. I can't get to my notes and am not a happy camper. I've been using Evernote for at least 8 years and never had this issue before.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:41 PM, PhapChan said:

Same problem as Sam D. I am on the basic plan and am being asked to select two devices to sync. Does the web version now count as a device? Even when I select the web version plus one other device and unselect all my other devices, the "continue" button doesn't activate. I can't get to my notes and am not a happy camper. I've been using Evernote for at least 8 years and never had this issue before.

I've been paying a premium price for four or five years.  I decided that since the service was getting worse I'd go back to basic.  I was in basic for a few minutes and was hit with a half dozen chances to go back to premium prices.  And then I had popups from Evernote that made it impossible to figure out what was going on.  A good wild guess.

• Level 5

My wild guess: There is some other device still active, no idea why and where.

Worst case it is a hackers device that is blocking you. Small chance, but not impossible.

Further there is a restriction as well on how many devices can be un-synced by a Basic user per month. So there is no playing out of a situation as it was possible some month ago, because this restriction will kick in.

No way for us here (as other users) to sort this out.

I'm having the same problem -- I was using web version + 2 devices. After getting the block notices, I unsynced one device so I was at the limit of 2, but I am still being asked on those 2 devices (web + phone) to upgrade, and can't access my notes, and have used the "2 unsyncs per month". 

On 12/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

My wild guess: There is some other device still active, no idea why and where.

I had to scroll down on the unsync window's list of devices to see that the web app was also listed and being counted as a device. They really mucked it up with that interface, there not even a a scroll bar to show to you that it's scrollable.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:12 PM, SG2020 said:

I'm having the same problem -- I was using web version + 2 devices. After getting the block notices, I unsynced one device so I was at the limit of 2, but I am still being asked on those 2 devices (web + phone) to upgrade, and can't access my notes, and have used the "2 unsyncs per month". 

See above. Web counts as a device now.

It is bad enough that web access counts as a device but they don't even warn you that they are removing a device when you access the web.

They only stop you when you try to go back to the original device.

This is a very poor execution of a bad policy change and it is very frustrating.

As it is I find it impossible to use both my smartphone and laptop with evernote.  I paid them $100s over the last five or so years.  As soon as I find out how to download and save all my info ... I will go to a different kind of clipping service.  I've been clipped enough by Evernote.