[solved] Highlight files of certain type within a note

[SOLVED] Can't be done.

Is there a way to do it? I'm hunting down pointlessly large PNG files within my notes. I can find all notes containing PNG files using the

resource:image/png

search and nicely sort the results by size but once I open a note I'm looking at a wall of images.

The situation also proves "I'll grab it quickly with Firefox scrrenshot feature and convert it to jpg later" to be a bad idea. One more thing. I've noticed that Created Date and Updated Date are editable. This is awesome! Cleaning up old notes won't make them flood the tops of my "Updated date" sorted notebooks!

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, rimboma said:

One more thing. I've noticed that Created Date and Updated Date are editable.

Yes, they always have been. Problem being is if you edit the updated date, and then edit the note, the updated date will be overwritten due to the change. Created date is wide open, if the actual creation date doesn't matter to you.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rimboma said:

Cleaning up old notes won't make them flood the tops of my "Updated date" sorted notebooks!

I have  tag:Hide for use when I do a mass import/update.

With a shortcut to search -tag:Hide 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, rimboma said:

The situation also proves "I'll grab it quickly with Firefox scrrenshot feature and convert it to jpg later

Why even bother converting?  What's the reason?

12 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Why even bother converting?  What's the reason?

I stated the reason in the OP. I've got notes with ~4 simple images taking 20 MB. A handful of *needlessly* large notes take the majority of space.

• Level 5*

Ok, I've clipped a lot of screenshots and have never noticed the size, or really cared but I now see that you have a basic subscription so you are bumping up against the monthly limit.  There is another solution to that problem ... 😎

• Like 1

There might be a use case for something like this even for subscribers;

• Offline notebooks on non expandable storage equipped phones
  • File formate not natively supported to be converted to something that is like .webp > .jpg (note I have added a request for the support of .webp in clients)
  • For the quick conversion of unsupported formats on desktop previews like .webm or for if a video player was ever added (eg this request for an embedded video player)

In a funny sort of way the op is almost looking for a quality downscale for images or a re-size, in itself helpful if you have a large image (say A0 architectural plans in a) jpg format for annotation ease of use that in the preview doesn't need to be 300dpi / 9933x14043px?

On 6/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, s2sailor said:

Ok, I've clipped a lot of screenshots and have never noticed the size, or really cared but I now see that you have a basic subscription so you are bumping up against the monthly limit.  There is another solution to that problem ... 😎

I'm nowhere near the monthly limit."Pointlessly" is the key aspect here. I don't like pointless things and I'm an expert when it comes to image formats :)

Second, we are not yet at the point where there's no difference between kilobytes and megabytes.

Third, with the recent Evernote update hiatusES I'm preparing for the future ones. Cutting the note syncing time by half is going to ease the involved stress a bit.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*

I don't like pointless things

Pointless is in the eye of the beholder.  That is how I view this effort, but if that is where you want to spend your energy, have at it.

• Level 5*

"Pointlessly" is the key aspect here. I don't like pointless things

I have over 13K notes. The majority are "pointless" until the one time I need them.

>>Cutting the note syncing time by half is going to ease the involved stress a bit.

Not clear on the "note syncing time" for my "pointless" notes

I use a Mac and iPad with full offline data copy

When weeding my note collection for oversized attachments, I sort by size  and review the large notes.

>>looking at a wall of images.

I layout images by using a table.  The picture size is restricted to the cell dimensions

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

When weeding my note collection for oversized attachments, I sort by size  and review the large notes. 

>>looking at a wall of images.

I layout images by using a table.  The picture size is restricted to the cell dimensions 

- I do so as well.

- Thanks for that tip with tables. Altough I create most of my notes on Android where tables are not available I might reorganize some of my biggest "galleries" on the desktop.

• Level 5

Another way would be to create a note with a table (or a stock of several such notes) in advance.

If Android behaves like iOS, it may be difficult to create tables (iOS allows it through [ ]-brackets), but they still can be used and if needed expanded line by line, using a keyboard with a tag - function.