Skitch 2.8.4 UI is unreadable with Mojave Dark Mode

The latest Skitch update (2.8.4) appears to attempt to support Dark Mode. However in the UI many of the elements (including text) haven't been updated to be seen on a dark background. Therefore we have dark text on a dark background, which makes things difficult to read. Note the elements along the bottom of the Skitch capture window in the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.16.25 AM.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

All “support” menu items within Skitch link to this user forum. So I don’t think it’s that outrageous to assume that posting an issue here is 1. The correct place and 2. might get seen by someone working on Skitch. 

But hey I’m just a software developer, so what the hell do I know.

25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Looks like ....

It is unlikely somebody from EN will drive by and read this, because this is a user forum, and Skitch is currently not in the focus of anybody.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So much pain here. I too am extremely frustrated by the neglect that Skitch has gotten since 1.x was acquired and would really like to help bring this app back to its glory.  There's so much potential and with Catalina coming, many of us still trying to use Skitch 1 due to the pain from Skitch 2 are just completely out of luck.  I've sent Shane a note and hope we can figure out a way to get back in touch with the real Skitch devs!

• 2 years later...

I agree. But pretty much over all, I find Evernote doesn't really give a sh*t about its users and what they want. I've spent years now not being able to read my Skitch doc name. Figured there must be a setting somewhere but kept putting off looking for it until it became a petrified pile of dog ***** in the corner that I stopped noticing. I finally went to find the setting today, and surprise—there isn't one. Thanks, Evernote. Knocked it out of the park again, leaving an excellent tool to languish in the corner with the dog turds.

• Level 5

@siouxzieb Now I read an engaged comment on skitch, full of dark (mode) assumptions about what EN does or doesn't.

And then I read above it the magic words: "2 years later ...." .

So 1st observation: You may not like it, but it is by far no hot topic for your fellow users.

2nd observation: This thread is called "... on Mojave". This MacOS is not the actual one, after ist came Catalina, Big Sur and now Monterey. Mojave is history. What do you want now ? Changes to make it nicely looking under Mojave, in dark mode ?

OK, it looks the same under Monterey. So my ...

3rd observation: If you go to the AppStore, you find exactly 1 update per year. None of them really add anything to the app. They just keep up with MacOS updates, that's it.

A little background: Skitch was purchased by EN some years ago, probably they liked the app, and decided to offer it to their customers. Back then, there was probably no dark mode, so the UI did not provide for that possibility. It was never deeply integrated, the UI is from back then, never adapted to the EN look & feel, and it remains a free offer which anybody with a Mac - with or without an EN account - can download and use.

There is no money earned with it, there is no huge demand from (paying) Evernote users for anything, it is just there, maintained on a minimum level. There are better apps than Skitch for what it does, just lacking the EN integration, for whatever this is worth.

Conclusion: If I follow your arguments, it is a capital offense to the users to offer a free app as it is, and let them enjoy it on this level. OK, now I follow your arguments: Let us withdraw it from the AppStore and elsewhere . We thought we do our users and other folk a nice service, but @siouxzieb opened our eyes. Let's quit that, and go back to serious services (which are the ones that pay our salaries).

Is it this what you wanted to say ?

Else: Bug reports can be send to support, if you are on a subscription. I doubt there will much happen with Skitch, but a) one never can know and b) if not, it is as it is.