Evernote for Mac 7.11

Nick L.

Idea

Hi Folks, 

Evernote for Mac 7.11 is now available to download. You can get it here.

Fixes and Improvements:

• Fixed a data migration error that some users encountered after upgrading to 7.10
  • Fixed an issue where Evernote helper displayed null as keyboard shortcut.
  • Fixed an issue where a recorded audio note that was shared via email would not play in MacOS Mail 
  • Fixed an issue where EvernoteSpotlight prompted for a password

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 replies to this idea

I just downloaded and installed and EN did not restart as usual. When I restart it is asking me for an email address and is behaving as if it's a new install. What should I do? Hopefully local folders can be recovered.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Evernote for Mac 7.11 is now available to download. You can get it here.

Thanks Nick

Please also list outstanding items (Users without a retina display see fuzzy text in the editor)

• Level 5

Do you run a regular backup of your Mac (typically with Time Machine) ? Then you can roll back in any case, including your local notebooks.

Secondly, as long as you have not logged into the new installation, all of your stuff will still be on your Mac. Any overwriting activity from the server will not start until after the signing has happened. So you should be still on the safe side, even if you and I might not know exactly what is going on. Because there are no server copies, local notebooks should never be touched by any server sync operation.

So why not postponing any further steps, and put yourself into contact with support, via chat or ticket ?

• Like 2

Thanks. Good advice.

I actually entered an email address but (I think luckily) didn't enter the one that I use for EN so EN opened as a new program. EN on the web is still there.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, DavidD said:

I actually entered an email address but (I think luckily) didn't enter the one that I use for EN so EN opened as a new program. EN on the web is still there.

Now sign out of the account you just created and sign into the account you have, and everything should be there.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.

I used support chat to help deactivate the account that I created in error (very quick and helpful support person) and then I logged back into the app with the correct email and all is good.

Phew.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Are you seeing any new issues with 7.11?

If I discover issues I'll post in this discussion

Generally my installation is problem free.  Even the spotlight password issue only appeared a few times so I can't confirm it's solved

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Confirmed Bug in EN Mac 7.11:  EvernoteSpotlight Plugin Crashes

2085602725_EvernoteSpotlightquitunexpectedly.png.31f94f2b8704369f526730eed68f0f68.png

Occurred after I logged in from Screen Saver
The same error occurred the last two days, also after screen saver login.
Running Evernote 7.11 (457846) on macOS 10.14.5.

I submitted an Evernote Support Ticket, and quickly got this response:

Anthony P. (Evernote Help and Learning) 

Jul 3, 20:54 PDT 

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Anthony and I'll be glad to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing crash issues with your EvernoteSpotlight. Please be advised that we are currently aware of this issue. Since we rolled out Evernote Mac 7.11, we've been getting reports regarding this, and our developers are currently investigating the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing.

Will boost the economy worldwide, because employees have to cut their lunch breaks and meetings short, to be back before the screensaver kicks in. Evernote sales goes through the sky because employers install it as efficiency tool etc. 😱😎😂 

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Has the local location of our data changed with this version?

Yes, my data is stored at
~/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/accounts/www.evernote.com/nnnnn

To identify your database folder, hold down the option key and select Help>Troubleshooting>OpenDatabase Folder2007472513_ScreenShot2019-07-05at07_10_58.png.247d9c0d0ad4b065171c93e5407be35f.png

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yes, my data is stored at
~/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/accounts/www.evernote.com/nnnnn

To identify your database folder, hold down the option key and select Help>Troubleshooting>OpenDatabase Folder2007472513_ScreenShot2019-07-05at07_10_58.png.247d9c0d0ad4b065171c93e5407be35f.png

Hi, this is great. I navigated with Terminal to the same location (parent of, actually) and I see two folders, the currently used one, and a second account. You see, I had accidentally logged into my personal Evernote account on my work computer, then realized it several days later, and only later logged out. But the damage was already done, and copies of my personal notes still exist on my work computer. I see the two sub-folders (all digits) in my .../CoreNote/accounts/www.evernote.com folder, one being the active, work-related account that I'd like to keep. The other being the personal files one. Since I've already logged out from that "alternate" account, is it safe to remove this folder? (I'm thinking "rm -rf xxxxx" in Terminal, I'm comfortable with the command-line.) I'm thinking I would do it like this: 1. quit Evernote (app), 2. navigate into my .../CoreNote/accounts/www.evernote.com folder, 3. do the "rm -rf" command on the alternate number, 4. restart the Evernote app.

Or is there a better way to accomplish this?  (also: should I be asking this in a new posting? I thought the context of this comment was appropriate)   ... thanks!

• Level 5

Tuning around on the database is always with risk.

I assume you still have access to the work computer ?

I further assume that you want to have the notes created there moved into your personal account, and deleted from your work account and computer ?

If these assumptions are true, I would try to get things fixed with EN standard procedures:

• Share the notes to yourself, from work to personal account
  • Duplicate the shared notes, and move them out of the share into another place.
  • Eliminate the notes from the work account, eliminate the share.
  • You could do all this working from the web clients, switching between accounts, without even touching your work machine. Just to eliminate the local copies, you need access to the work computer. Sync what you have done on the Web, got to trash and delete the personal notes from there because otherwise they will stay on in trash.

Hint: I am not 100% sure this will work, because I have just my personal account and can't give it a try. My only question mark is about the property rights on the duplicate notes you will have created out of the share. If you have time, test it with one note, and go full cleanup if this worked.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, visualist said:

Since I've already logged out from that "alternate" account, is it safe to remove this folder?

Yes, you can remove the local copy of the "alternate" database folder.  The master copy is stored on the Evernote servers (except for local notebooks and unsync'd notes)

If you log into the account, Evernote will rebuild the database from the servers (except for Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes)

>>also: should I be asking this in a new posting? 

This should be a new discussion topic, instead of tacking onto the 7.11 release discussion.

Thanks @PinkElephant

I do have access to both personal and work computers (laptops).

But the other assumption isn't quite true. I admittedly have a complex setup. Two Evernote accounts, personal and work, each associated with their corresponding email. I already share a few notebooks from my work account to my personal account, so I can work from either computer. But the personal notebooks on my personal account are meant to never be on my work computer, obviously. During an Evernote upgrade on my work computer, I got logged out. The problem started with I inadvertently logged into my personal account from my work computer, and happily went into the usual work notebook (since it was a shared one, no surprise, nothing to immediately alert me to my mistake!). Meanwhile, Evernote happily sync'd all my personal data onto my work computer.

I could just delete all my Evernote stuff, remove the app, etc., on my work computer. Then reinstall it fresh and only log into the work account. It's just that there's a lot of stuff, like 5 years of stuff. (My personal account goes back much, much further, and it's easily 10x as big.)

I just thought I could circumvent, take a short cut, after I logged out of the personal and into the work account (from my work computer). In theory, that non-active folder should no longer be needed. But, you know, like you said, it's messing with the database in a way, and that could blow its mind.

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, you can remove the local copy of the second database folder.

If you log into the account, Evernote will rebuild the database from the servers (except for Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes)

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks @DTLow!

I was hoping for it to work like that.

Being one to tread carefully, here's what I ended up doing (on the work computer):

• quit Evernote
  • cd "Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/accounts/www.evernote.com"
  • mv 31183258 ~/evernote-delete-me-31183258
  • start up Evernote; check everything out; looks good!
  • cd ; rm -rf evernote-delete-me-31183258
  • (then, realized, a more secure delete would have been better - next time I would use the -P flag)

Thanks, everyone! My problem is solved.

Edited by visualist
to put closure on the sub-thread
  • Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  "All Notes" Selection in Note List Fails to Show ALL NOTES

This has happened several times now, for no apparent reason.
Running Evernote 7.11 (457846) on macOS 10.14.5.

See

On 7/15/2019 at 9:25 AM, DTLow said:

Bug Report: Sync issue reported in this discussion

edit: link updated to response from @Nick L.

Followed all these suggestions. Website looks all synced correctly, as well as Evernote for iOS. The sync bug still happens intermittently on macOS. FWIW, I'm also playing with the Catalina Public Beta on an external drive. I see the same issue with Evernote running on the Catalina beta (latest version). There shouldn't be a network connection error, ever, unless my broadband is down. I have broadband and no bandwidth-hogging apps running that would crowd out an Evernote sync process.