Simple Time-tracker inside of Evernote note

Vojkan Cvijanovic

Idea

One of the primary reasons I use Evernote is to write down list of tasks that needs to be done.
If I want to track time per each activity then I would need to copy these tasks to another app like Clockify or Toggl.

It would be great that I can add a very simple time tracker on the end of the line in Evernote note that has only value counter and Start/Stop button, e.g. https://cl.ly/02ef8881cf48.
This way I wouldn't need to use external App.

Another way to do this is to integrate Evernote with Clockify the way it is done between Todoist and Clockify.

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

On 6/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, DTLow said:

TimeTracking seems like a niche requirement that wouldn't apply to a significant % of notes or users

This is so not true. Being able to track time on a task is THE missing element that makes Evernote the perfect solution. I signed up to evaluate this for Professional, and the fact that it doesn't have it means I'm just going to have to abandon it and look elsewhere. I assume that this is missing in teams, which is definitely a deal breaker.

It would even be essential for Free and Personal plans. It's probably the one thing that you didn't know you absolutely needed the most until you started using it. For professional and teams, it's a no brainer.

Scenario 1: You're in a meeting taking notes and organizing them into tasks. You then go to fulfill the tasks, tracking time on each one. When it comes time to bill the client, you have precise times and actions to bill against. It's win / win. The client gets fully transparency and clarity, Billing gets exact numbers they need for invoicing. Project Management is an area where Evernote advertises its strong points. Without time tracking, it's completely useless for a busy freelancer / consultant.

Scenario 2: As a software Developer working for another company, I have to pull tickets. I am required to input times into those tickets when I'm done, however there is no time tracking integrated into the ticketing system (and this is a major ticketing system developed by Microsoft.) So what happens? Developers move from ticket to ticket to ticket and forget to track time, going back weeks later and best-guessing how much time they spent on it. Being able to track the task (ticket) and time with Evernote would let us seamlessly go back and fill that in with precise numbers. Win / Win again. Time tracking for such tasks isn't confined to software. What if I have to drive to pick up a hard drive before I can start? As a contractor, I'm definitely charging for that time. As an employee, I need to add the spent time to the expense report.

Scenario 3: Personal use. How efficiently are you spending your day? You're already using Evernote, so obviously organization, productivity, and efficiency are paramount. Adding time tracking to even personal tasks allows one to evaluate where one may be spending too much time or too little time. That allows for personal improvement through better time management.

Here is why I would never use a 3rd party solution: Clockify, and others are a separate entity. What if they go out of business? Now, I've spent so much time organizing my entire professional and personal life around an app and specific functionality. What about if I have all my team members on this? We have to scramble to find another solution entirely. No, if it's not integrated into and managed by the Evernote team, it's too risky to rely on.

Evernote if you're listening, I'd pay double your subscription prices just for this functionality. Without it, the other 99% of the functionality that benefits me greatly is unfortunately useless. The whole point of using Evernote is so that I don't have to manage multiple apps / sources / solutions for our organization and efficiency needs.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Vojkan Cvijanovic said:

If I want to track time per each activity then I would need to copy these tasks to another app like Clockify or Toggl.

TimeTracking seems like a niche requirement that wouldn't apply to a significant % of notes or users
I'm comfortable using an external app

Users can indicate support for this request using the vote buttons at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, bp928 said:

Developers move from ticket to ticket to ticket and forget to track time, going back weeks later and best-guessing how much time they spent on it

I have to complete weekly timesheets   
My solution is to store notes; time spent, details, and tagged with the project-id   
I have a prompt every 15 minutes

This data is dumped to a spreadsheet to complete my timesheet with less guesswork and details to backup the numbers

• Level 5

There are many ideas that would make EN more useful for a specific subgroup of users. This for sure would be among them.

Why am I opposed to this, as I am voicing my opinion against others ? Because the sum of it all would for sure convert EN into a highly complex, slow piece of bloatware.

Since this request is IMHO far from being implemented, better go looking for another solution that is actually available. It may help to set up a personal routine to close the day by jotting down on what you have been working.